Makita taking over Dolmar brand in the USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this changeover now complete in the US?
Have the Dolmar saws been completely replaced, aside from unsold inventory?
Are the Makita saws available in all sizes?

All I can find is this one web page, which does not seem to have any product links:
http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ChainSaws/

Thanks.

Philbert
Most Dolmar label chainsaws are sold out.
Some 6100 models

The 32/35/510/5105 are still available I believe.

The 6114 & 7414 cut off saws were sold out at the end of August.

I have new Makita EA7900PR and DCS6421R's coming in tomorrow.

The new XCU03 18V x2 (36V) brushless chainsaw was just released last week.

According to that Makita Canadian site, looks like the 5105 and 7910 have been dropped.
THAT was the question that I had. Dropped, or just not listed? It's on that page I referenced.

The 7900 series really seemed to be the saw that got attention from guys on this site. Same weight as the 6400 series - it drives a much more favorable power-to-weight ratio.

Hope that it is still in the line up, for the benefit of both end-users and dealers.

Philbert

THAT was the question that I had. Dropped, or just not listed? It's on that page I referenced.

The 7900 series really seemed to be the saw that got attention from guys on this site. Same weight as the 6400 series - it drives a much more favorable power-to-weight ratio.

Hope that it is still in the line up, for the benefit of both end-users and dealers.

Philbert

The bottom of the 6400 is the 7900.....

There's a list of new models at this site. The 56cc saw might be a completely new design rather than an ungrade of an old model. The 36cc design is new as far as I know.

http://www.coptool.com/makita-and-dolmar-are-merging-into-a-single-brand/

New Makita Power Equipment Chain Saws (Rolling Changes)

EA3200SR – 14″ 32 cc Chain Saw
EA3201SR – 14″ 32 cc Chain Saw w/ Tool-less Tensioner
EA3500SR – 16″ 35 cc Chain Saw
EA3601SR – 16″ 36 cc Chain Saw w/ Tool-less Tensioner
EA4300FR – 16″ 43 cc Chain Saw
DCS5121R – 18″ 50 cc Chain Saw
EA5600FR – 16″-20″ 56 cc Chain Saw
EA5000PR – 16″-20″ 50 cc Chain Saw
EA5001PR – 16″-20″ 50 cc Heated Handle Chain Saw
EA6100PR – 20″ 61 cc Chain Saw
EA7300PR – 73 cc Chain Saw
EA7301PR – 73 cc Heated Handle Chain Saw
EA7900PR – 79 cc Chain Saw
EA7901PR – 79 cc Heated Handle Chain Saw

Attachments

• Makita3600a.jpg
    Makita3600a.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Makita3600b.jpg
    Makita3600b.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 40
I disagree with most of that, but it does take a second or two more the to change the chain. The outboard has all the technical/mechanical advantages.
The most important advantage is that it is much easier to make a well handling saw, as the bar is closer to the center of mass.

My best "noodlers" have an outboard clutch, and the modern Husky outboards are easy to remove the clutch from, without any special tools.

What you posted is a pretty wide-spread myth though.

Howdy Niko, you still are stubborn as the oldest troll in Norway I see....:yes:
Personally, I have a preference for the inboard clutch for several reasons, all listed before. But to each his own.

Dolmar/Makita is struggling very hard to built a decent market share in Europe, against Stihl and Husqvarna. Hard to believe since the prices of their pro saws are almost 40% lower than comparable saws from the other two. I'd buy Dolmar in the blink of an eye if I needed a new saw. Everybody knows by now they have good products. But that proves how difficult it is to beat good brands and an excellent area coverage by their respective dealers.

To keep up however 2 identical saw ranges with 2 different brands in such situation is way too costly. So it doesn't surprise that Makita drops the Dolmar range in the US. If Makita could just swallow their Japanese pride, I think it would make sense to just keep Dolmar as their single brand Europe I guess, but it'll probably the other way around.

To keep up however 2 identical saw ranges with 2 different brands in such situation is way too costly. So it doesn't surprise that Makita drops the Dolmar range in the US. If Makita could just swallow their Japanese pride, I think it would make sense to just keep Dolmar as their single brand Europe I guess, but it'll probably the other way around.

Hello Roland! Yes, I'm still here most days, but I'm not posting as much as I used to do.

For years now, the only way to buy Dolmars here is trough Makita dealers (or directly from the Makita importer), and there is no service anywhere (well maybe at the importer, haven't asked about that). The only exception I know about has been a time limited "in the box" campaign by a hardware chain, with heavily discounted 420SC (421 in the US) saws. No service in those stores of cause.

Dolmar used to have a quite good reputation here, helped by the "Sachs" connection and the fact that the Army used many 115iH saws trough the 1990s, but they have made no effort to get a decent market share here later.

There's a list of new models at this site. The 56cc saw might be a completely new design rather than an ungrade of an old model. The 36cc design is new as far as I know.

http://www.coptool.com/makita-and-dolmar-are-merging-into-a-single-brand/

New Makita Power Equipment Chain Saws (Rolling Changes)

EA3200SR – 14″ 32 cc Chain Saw
EA3201SR – 14″ 32 cc Chain Saw w/ Tool-less Tensioner
EA3500SR – 16″ 35 cc Chain Saw
EA3601SR – 16″ 36 cc Chain Saw w/ Tool-less Tensioner
EA4300FR – 16″ 43 cc Chain Saw
DCS5121R – 18″ 50 cc Chain Saw
EA5600FR – 16″-20″ 56 cc Chain Saw
EA5000PR – 16″-20″ 50 cc Chain Saw
EA5001PR – 16″-20″ 50 cc Heated Handle Chain Saw
EA6100PR – 20″ 61 cc Chain Saw
EA7300PR – 73 cc Chain Saw
EA7301PR – 73 cc Heated Handle Chain Saw
EA7900PR – 79 cc Chain Saw
EA7901PR – 79 cc Heated Handle Chain Saw
Would that 3601 perhaps be the 352 and the 3500 be the 35?

Seems like if there is a good dealer in the states and he pushes the product Dolmar/Makita sells. I have been seeing Mkaita cut off saws on the big jobs quite a bit anymore and the customers who run them love them. I hope the hand held stuff starts getting a hold on the market more. In my area chainsaws are the step child of any OPE dealership. You have to get the high end trimmer market , and blower market in the suburbs.

... You have to get the high end trimmer market , and blower market in the suburbs.
And that is I find perfect in the Makita lineup with being besides Honda the only manufacturer of real 4 stroke equipment. That I find will make transition for homeowners much easier if they can simply use the same gas can as for the lawnmower/-tractor.

A while back I was told by the Makita distributor here the DCS were always the German origin saws we know, the EA were Chinese assembled with German parts, excluding (at that time) one entirely Japanese design and manufactured model (I can't recall which one).

I note the EA79XX models in the list above. Does that mean they are now assembled in China like the other EA saws, or still completely German origin or? I mean, it seems like the model code is no longer enough to work out where the parts are made or the saws are assembled.

Back