Makitaurbation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethro

Heathen
Reaction score
I picked up this little gem awhile ago and the 6401 runs alright and its a fun saw to play with! Torquey low end and mid range power.It's pretty much stock accept the muffler modification.
IM000576.jpg

Lawn Masters said:
isnt that the saw that had a bad piston on it or something?
yeah, thats another 6401 I have.I haven't finished that one yet.I can't go to the sawshop to get parts untill June 5th.
IM000546.jpg

6400 vs 7900
I like both.In smaller wood the 6400 will run right with a 7900 anything over 18 inch's or so the 7900 will walk away from a 6400.I wasnt planing on getting a 6400 because if your going to pack a 14 lb saw around,then whey not get the bigger cc saw.But the price was right.I have a 6401 tore down right now,it should run good when done.
IM000549.jpg

I dug out a old Carlton square practice chain and touched it up today, bolted it on a 7900KD and made cookies.
12" Basswood
16" Cannon bar
Carlton A1 square filed
8 tooth sprocket
:02.20

John you are making me want to go to the closest dolmar dealer and purchase a 7900, they look strong, i wish these clips had sound.

I like these saws.This 6401 only has the intake/exhaust ports widened and muffler opened,lots of torque,now it needs more crankshaft revolutions per minute.

lto,yep I need a camera with a mic.
IM000623.jpg

Ron,I really liked your factory looking muffler mod.I went for the same approach on this one.Instead of uncrimping these Dolmar muffler I go trough the back with a small pneumatic saw and cut the cage out along the exhaust bolt access tubes then clean it up with a carbide bur.
IM000625.jpg

Latest posts

Back