Makitaurbation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While this doesn't compare to the 088 or the 181, here is the finished version of the muffler mod. I chose black, and kinda like the look. It has some time on it, but not enough to see if the paint will last over time.

-Steve

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
TwoTurboVolvos said:
Looks great FS!
What did you use for the louver? Looks stock..
Ron

18 gauge steel, used to do a bunch of fabrication work... It is amazing what you can do with a pair of snips, and a welder. It was supposed to look like it was stock, lol!

I cut out the basic lines from a flat piece of sheet metal, then bent them up by hand and welded the corners together, ground them down and then welded the scoop to the muffler and grinded those down a little.

-Steve

Steve, I wondered where my muffler had went to. Was you able to gut it out without uncrimping the muffler? or did you go through the exhaust hole on the back. Good stock look too. WTG

I uncrimped The box and removed this out of the center.
attachment.php

I did this before on my 110 and 115, so this wasn't new to me. It was a pain the first time, but after you do a couple, it really isn't a bad. To anyone that wants to attempt it for the first time, I recommend a small 90 degree prybar (tool trucks call them lady foot prybars, or rolling head pry bars) and a set of good channel locks such as Knipex pliers. Start it at the open section and work your way around. I get the lip just off the back piece all the way around, then using a quality pair of channel locks, I bend the lip up to 90 degrees so you can lift the front off. The biggest thing is not to tighten the vise too much as it will really distort the back part of the muffler. Also, prying really hard, or trying to get the lip at 90 degrees with a prybar can put dents in the front cover. Or if you are really gifted at welding/brazing thin steel, you could cut the lip off with a cutoff wheel or grinder, then braze the two sections together. I have not tried that, yet. If you use a set of cheapo pliers, you can mangle the steel and it will slip off more than once causing you to curse more than once, ask me how I know! :laugh:

I grinded the tab off of the end of the baffle that was 1/4" thick and looked kinda like the exhaust gasket.(it was tack welded on the top and bottom) It went behind the tubes that go thru the muffler. I did this because without the spacer, There would be too much space when you tighten the muffler down. It would pull the center of the muffler in, and the bolts might possibly have bottomed out on the cylinder. I have another 6401 coming sometime next week, I will try to take detailed pics and do a seperate muffler mod thread on it. That might explain it a little better.

-Steve

Cut4fun said:
Steve, I wondered where my muffler had went to. Was you able to gut it out without uncrimping the muffler? or did you go through the exhaust hole on the back. Good stock look too. WTG

lol, your muffler has a Husky scoop on it. It came from a Husky 50 or 51. Would you like me to send you pics of the scoop that is on yours? I have a couple for future muffler mods....

Nope, I know what it looks like too lol. So which way did you do the gutting of the muffler? Uncrimping or through the back?

Did you read the post before the last...I explained it all....

Geesh, lazy I tell you. :laugh:

And I uncrimped it.....Read last post on page three!

Freakingstang said:
Did you read the post before the last...I explained it all....

Geesh, lazy I tell you. :laugh:

And I uncrimped it.....Read last post on page three!
Dont know how I missed that whole dang post. Was wondering what all the bull inside looked like. Geez its a wonder they could even breath at all.
Heres a pic of the twins. WJ's and Steve's
Together.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the underside of the "gut cage" It does have a scoop where the exhaust gases get directed down. The older dolmar 110's and 115's had a very similar box, but it had to go thru the holes, there wasn't an end opening like this one has.

I would still like to know how Seth is cutting them out from the exhuast port hole.....

And Kevin, how did you get both pics side by side in one attachment?

-Steve

attachment.php

Freakingstang said:
And Kevin, how did you get both pics side by side in one attachment?

-Steve

[/IMG]
Used microsoft 7.0 image pro. Hit new project. Hit enter pic and hit enter pic again. Set both side to side. Seems to work. Then resized them after I got them together and made them smaller.

John Dolmar said:
The one I have is not a Snap on though more like a Stack on.LOL

I own plenty of non-snap on tools, lol, As long as it gets the job done. I am a diesel service tech. I work out of my truck on the road, I cover three states, about a 700 mile radius, so my tools have to be reliable. That is why I praise snappy tools when I can. It doesn't matter if the stuff breaks and has a lifetime warrenty if you are 100 miles from civilization, lol.

-Steve

John Dolmar said:
Do you stop at every saw shop you see on the road and pilfer through stuff and look for bargins? I know I would

Sometimes, when I have time. I work for an emergency rental company. We do large generators, Large Diesel air compressors(1500+CFM), air conditioners, chillers, heaters, pumps, electrical distro panels and cables, transfer switches, etc. Jack of all trades, master of none... that would be me. lol

I got my "new" 066 in Detroit. I got my one of my 046's in western PA. I bought a box full of 365 parts (three saws torn apart) from a rental shop about 10 minutes from my shop.

So, yes, when I get a chance, I stop. Although as long as I have been looking at HD's for a couple Makita's, I haven't found any. I've had to get mine from other AS memebers that send them to me. Go figure. lol

ya,I haven't been to a saw shop in about 4 or 5 months but I don't have a choice.I scored a new 6400 barrel and piston this week on e-bay for $55.00

Freakingstang said:
lol, your muffler has a Husky scoop on it. It came from a Husky 50 or 51. Would you like me to send you pics of the scoop that is on yours? I have a couple for future muffler mods....
Steve, I forgot to tell you the right scoop in pic looking straight at the mufflers is a scoop off of a Husky 281.

Latest posts

Back