Maybe I screwed up? eBay sale...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calereeves

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I sold a MS261 on eBay about a little over a month ago. It took a couple of weeks in shipping (Alaska to Alabama,) so the guy has had it for 3 weeks. He sent me a message yesterday saying that the saw had seized up while it was running. He pulled off the starter cover and said he tried to turn it by the nut on the flywheel, and it will turn about a half turn in either direction with some effort, then hits a positive stop.

I had him pull the ignition coil back away from the flywheel to make sure it wasn't hitting it if it'd loosened up, and no change.

The guy is near Huntsville, AL. I told him I'm confident in my work, but that if I screwed something up, I'll refund the money. Now the question is how to determine who screwed what up.

Anybody around here in the North Alabama area? I'd rather not have him take it to some unknown Stihl dealer, who's going to charge him out the ying yang and really tell us nothing about WHAT failed and WHY.

The saw came to me in good shape, I put in a meteor piston and cabers, compression checked out, and I reset the factory settings on the carb and did a few test cuts. Ran, idled, accelerated, and cut as it should. No change in idle when it was tipped over either direction.

I could have him ship it back to me, but shipping on the powerhead is going to run about $40, then it's my word against his when I tear it down. eBay auction was clear about no refunds, but I really want to make it right if I'm the reason it failed. Kind of at a loss as to the right way to handle it, hoping somebody here would have similar experience.

I'm feeling a little bit burned, had a similar situation a few weeks ago--a guy said the saw got to him with a rim sprocket that was 'worn slap out' and "the H needle was missing from the carb, so it wouldn't run right." He started the eBay claim about not receiving what had been advertised. I immediately refunded the money and got the saw back. When it arrived, there were wood chips all over the saw and the b/c were obviously used a good bit. The guy had got the saw in the mail, used it for what he needed, and then said it wasn't right and asked for a refund. Never can tell with some people.

Guess that's why I'm a little hesitant on this one since the guy says he's run a couple of tanks of fuel through it (he said it was one gallon of premium, ethanol free, with the included Stihl oil I sent.)

Forward him a copy of the letter, and this link, and he will know you are sincere.

I asked him to check the brake while we were on the phone earlier. He said it was not engaged, and I could hear him clicking the handle to check it.

Well, actually, E-bay will be the one to officially transfer the funds, there is a subtle difference in there somewhere. I had 1 case
where the buyer actually cut my ms290 fuel line in two pieces with a razor knife when opening the envelope, he wanted another fuel line or refund, saying that I sent him a "defective" part. I knew E-Bay's policy, they will be on his side unless I can prove that
he is in the wrong, so I politely asked him to send me back the defective part and the envelope it came in, and he was stupid enough to mail me back the whole damn thing, both severed parts of the envelope, and both severed parts of the molded fuel line, both obviously cut with a razor knife. I went back to E-Bay, made my case, after a day or so, the funds were taken out of my Paypal account......... I was breathing fire, I called Paypal, ready to shut the whole damn thing down, after a little while, a mgr. came on and said that Paypal would refund me back the funds, since I had been such a good customer all of those years. Go figure.

He offered to let me buy it back for less than what he bought it for--$300, he paid $402+s/h. I'm tempted to take it, just to keep the guy happy and preserve my eBay feedback...

He offered to let me buy it back for less than what he bought it for--$300, he paid $402+s/h. I'm tempted to take it, just to keep the guy happy and preserve my eBay feedback...
Give E-Bay a call on that, copy his messages that he sent too. See if he has had similar trouble like this with others. I mean, if you
spent $450 on a saw, and it blew up, would you be willing to offer to take a $150 loss? Something is up with that. He could send you back a run over wild thing, and say he sent the original saw back. Also, find out how he proposes to sell it back you for $300.

EBay is really hard on sellers. I use to be one. I was doing a few thousand in sales a week for about a year and a half. They kicked me off because 4 negative reviews out of a few thousand. 1 was legit. I screwed up 2 orders and my customers got the wrong parts. The other 3 were BS. one was because on the back of my business card I had a bible verse and the other 2 were because of late shipping. I'm talking like 2 days late. That all happened in a 6 month period. And I was axed. I feel like they had it out for me. They honestly did me a favor in the end though. You really need to be careful selling used stuff on there. Buyers can really screw you.

Latest posts

Back