Maybe I screwed up? eBay sale...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One selling rule on ebay is to never sell anything there that you couldn't afford to lose. That's why I usually don't sell anything that's very expensive. When a buyer returns an item both buyer and seller are out the shipping costs. I generally wouldn't send anything back unless it's an obvious fraud.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have been off AS for a while and need to find the swap thread. If some one would post a link I would appreciate it. Are it some one has an ignition system for an 032 Stihl for sale I would be interested in buying it.
On another note I have gone the Ebay route as a seller and it has become so bad that I have cut back considerly and intend to cut back more

Not to hijack this thread, but I have been off AS for a while and need to find the swap thread. If some one would post a link I would appreciate it. Are it some one has an ignition system for an 032 Stihl for sale I would be interested in buying it.
On another note I have gone the Ebay route as a seller and it has become so bad that I have cut back considerly and intend to cut back more
Yeah, Tom, I haven't had a saw on there for quite a while and looking at the saws and prices I don't think I'll be in a hurry to put one on there. That plus I probably don't have any saws that would sell...

I gave up selling on ebay when they changed their policy......I never got burned, but have heard enough stories.

There are no sticckies on the top of the page I am on, but I found it. God bless Google. Thanks Tom

Cale, I would make an offer to the guy to buy the junk P/C back from the shop. Just tell him you want it to practice porting on. I bet you get back a piston that has no oil on the underside. You might even end up with a cylinder that can be saved.

He told me today he bought a 291. I asked what he thought war fair for pho since he can reuse the other stuff. He said 200-250, so I said I'd do 200 and he can ship it cheapest way possible. Fully expecting to get it back straight gassed, but $200 for a saw that I've already profited a little in isn't too bad, and it seems like he's satisfied with the deal too.

I have over 125 transactions on E-Bay and have a 100% rating. Compared to some sellers and buyers, that's nothing.

It's not the devil. You just have to know what you are doing and be cautious. The few hic-cups I have had, they were resolved easily enough.
125 is not enough to run into the real idiots. They are out there and they are incompetent in everything except knowing how to take advantage of their eBay buyer's rights.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'll bet I've talked to the same dude in the past week or so. I'm in Huntsville, AL and have a couple of craigslist postings up here local for broken stihl and Husqv equipment that occasionally bears fruit. (But I'm starting to get "that look" from the Spousal Control Unit about the pile of chainsaws and trimmers in the garage... :innocent:)

This guy contacted me about a seized MS261 he bought off eBay and the story reads about the same, so I'd put a $20 bet on it being the same guy. Said it locked up after two tanks of gas and the seller had offered $350 for the saw to buy it back. He asked if I'd pay that price to save him the shipping. I told him that $350 was the best offer he'd find and he'd best take it and eat the shipping.

He first contacted me on Dec 31st, told me he paid $450 for it. Name started with a D and had five letters. Same guy?

Ha sounds like it! His ebay name starts with a D, and looks like first initial then last name. That's disappointing...I'm pretty sure that we had an agreement to send the saw back, but I guess I can't blame the guy for trying to squeeze more out of it.

The first contact I got from him was the 30th and I hadn't even gotten back with him by the time he offered it to you. Pretty obvious now, if it wasn't before, that he knows it's not something I did wrong. Makes me feel a LOT better, even if I don't get the saw back.

Yeah, that's half the reason I wanted to update you. Sounds like he did something stupid and is looking for his 'responsibility repellent'.

Funny thing is, I'd really like a MS260/026 Pro to rebuild. I just can't afford his price. I gave my last 026 to my Dad, who still won't stop using his crappy Poulans (2300's, Gah!) and keeps asking me to fix them while he "saves" the Stihl for when he really needs it.

But, Dad's turning 70 this month, so one has to make allowances...now I've got to replace a sheared throttle linkage in his latest casualty...

Anyhow, sleep with a clear conscience. You're in the right, regardless of what the outcome is...

I learned of AS, (much to your sadnesses.......) after buying a $ 500 saw from TRI955, a standup guy. He told me about AS. Good Transaction.

My 8 - 10 K purchases on ebay have been ok. The small ones have had some issues. But not alot considering.

I don't think I'd ever pay more than $300 for anything on ebay..that's just too much to lose in my case. I don't think I'd sell anything that expensive either..
I did go over $300 once--for a non-running Stihl 046. Total was $315. I put $50 into it and the saw runs perfectly. Owner had installed a new carb and gave up. All I did was remove the plastic limiters and readjust. After that, I added a new handle, dual ported the muffler, and that was it. She runs dead even with my friend's new MS460.

Buying a used saw is always a higher risk, running or non-running, but that's true of any piece of equipment. Some Stihl dealers hate the longevity of their saws, but if they don't last long, the new ones won't sell either.

Latest posts

Back