Maybe I should just work for free!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I gave a "Free" estimate to a neighbor of one of my customers. He had two large dead oaks between him and my customers house. These trees were easily $900 trees which had to be rigged down. I explained the liability of these trees that were not only dangerous to his property but my customer"s property. I quoted him $600 a tree which I thought was more than reasonable. I also quoted him on some drop and chip leave the wood trees at $100 a tree. He preceded to tell me he wasn't going to pay $600 for those two trees just because my customer next door want them down, he'd rather let them stand and fall on their own and let his insurance pay for the damage. He couldn't understand why those were $600 a piece and the others were $100. Thats when I started getting angry and scolded him on my duty as an arborist and why they were more expensive. He became all nice to me BSed my ear off for an hour in 10 degree temperatures. The conversation ended with him telling me he had to talk it over with his wife and would get back to me as I stood there freezing my ass off not being able to feel my toes anymore. I should of called my business NC Charity Tree Care.

Think back, I bet there was a git-the-hell-out-of-dodge-moment. :(

this would have been when you read thru him and should have bailed out, but your hunger kept you there. I know both feelings all too well. after selling work for so long, I think I'm telepathic.

this smilie sums it up, huh? :bang::bang:

you tried to hook him up with some decent pricing and honesty,, and he only saw $$ figures. :dizzy:

My biggest beef is going all out on a bid, get the job, say I will do it right now (today, I'm here now, right?) only to be told after x-mas.
So I point out I have 4 teenagers who WANT a x-mas, and I will do a snow and ice covered takedown in the falling snow, because I CAN. and I NEED TOO. and they still say no. do they think they will still get a really low price in the spring? in this weather my prices last about 30 days.:D

Last edited:
honestly....your on his property giving prices on trees? did he invite you? Not to mention that you "got angry & starting scoldinging him"!

If my neighbors wanted something on my property taken care of & sent their contractor over to me......expecting me to pay for it & in the process scolded me, LOL,.... I would literally exercise my legal right to remove that :censored: (person) from my yard in any way short of deadly force!!!!!!!

Personally I think expecting someone to make a decision like you wanted before the holidays is ridiculous, why not just give him a written estimate & leave it at that.......sounds like desperate, pushy salesman crap too me!!!

Imagine someone doing that to you!!!

LXT...............

honestly....your on his property giving prices on trees? did he invite you? Not to mention that you "got angry & starting scoldinging him"!

If my neighbors wanted something on my property taken care of & sent their contractor over to me......expecting me to pay for it & in the process scolded me, LOL,.... I would literally exercise my legal right to remove that :censored: (person) from my yard in any way short of deadly force!!!!!!!

Personally I think expecting someone to make a decision like you wanted before the holidays is ridiculous, why not just give him a written estimate & leave it at that.......sounds like desperate, pushy salesman crap too me!!!

LXT...............

I heard that too but decided to leave it alone.

Think back, I bet there was a git-the-hell-out-of-dodge-moment. :(

this would have been when you read thru him and should have bailed out, but your hunger kept you there. I know both feelings all too well. after selling work for so long, I think I'm telepathic.

this smilie sums it up, huh? :bang::bang:

you tried to hook him up with some decent pricing and honesty,, and he only saw $$ figures. :dizzy:

My biggest beef is going all out on a bid, get the job, say I will do it right now (today, I'm here now, right?) only to be told after x-mas.
So I point out I have 4 teenagers who WANT a x-mas, and I will do a snow and ice covered takedown in the falling snow, because I CAN. and I NEED TOO. and they still say no. do they think they will still get a really low price in the spring? in this weather my prices last about 30 days.:D

Thanks slayer I know we've all been there before but this year seems worst then any other.

Actually there was a get out of dodge moment right after I yelled at him and he perceeded to start talking nice to me. I started walking away and something kept me there.

Thanks slayer I know we've all been there before but this year seems worst then any other.

Actually there was a get out of dodge moment right after I yelled at him and he perceeded to start talking nice to me. I started walking away and something kept me there.

Your saying you actually yelled at this guy? for real?

LXT...............
OH here we go again, give me a ####in headache!

FYI Keith, yeah I know your name, I was doing work for my good customer when this gentleman stopped by in his truck asking me to look at his trees and give him a price. He was on his way to do something. I gave him my card and he said he'd call me later.

He called so I gave him my opion and some prices in which he wanted me to come out and talk to him. Couple days later I came out and explained everything to him + mentioned the half a dozen other people on t his block that I did work for. He proceed to tell me it was to much knowing I gave him the prices over the phone. I got angry (after he said he'd rather let them fall) and asked him why he called me out then and that he wasted my time. I also expained in detail why those trees cost so much to takedown compared to the others+ the issues involve in the liability on his part.
Thats when he became all nice to me so I stayed and listen to him yes out of desperation that I might get some work.

I wish I had work everyday like you Keith then I could just say ####'em and charge them what the tree was really worth.

I'm not saying I didn't get the job yet cause I think I did. It will be the first time getting a job after yelling at someone. At least I was straight forward no BS with the guy and I think he respected that.

So anything else you wanna say lxt?Quite frankly their is not much for us to say Lxt is their so take some migraine pills and wait for santa. Maybe he'll have that new bucket truck for ya.

Yeah, me too. Right here at Xmas and everything.
Come on mckee get real here stop going along with the masses just because it's the cool thing to do. We all know everyone wants to look good in front of their tree cronies.
Did I mention that my customer in which half the tree hangs over her yard has 7 children all between the ages of 5 and 17. She won't let the children play in the yard because of the tree.

Merry Xmas

I guess I should just cut the half of the tree down that hangs over her yard and send the bill to the HO. Hell thats worth as much as I quoted the whole tree for. Yeah i'm using pushy tactics to get the HO to let me cut down his tree get ####ing real people, tell me what you really think of me cause I sure as hell ain't afraid to do the same just ask TMP.

Come on mckee get real here stop going along with the masses just because it's the cool thing to do. We all know everyone wants to look good in front of their tree cronies.
Did I mention that my customer in which half the tree hangs over her yard has 7 children all between the ages of 5 and 17. She won't let the children play in the yard because of the tree.

Merry Xmas

Oh I was joking. I probably would have done the same thing. I got so mad at a client saying stupid stuff like that once that I cussed them out.

He preceded to tell me he wasn't going to pay $600 for those two trees just because my customer next door want them down, he'd rather let them stand and fall on their own and let his insurance pay for the damage. He couldn't understand why those were $600 a piece and the others were $100..
he would have gotten my card and been told "have a nice Christmas and when you decide to have a pro safely remove those hazard trees call me" end of story....

I like to tell the customer that I have Tourettes upfront, then you can cuss them out six ways to Sunday and still get the job based on sympathy.

sometimes I think i do have tourettes when I have to deal with idiots:cheers:

I guess I should just cut the half of the tree down that hangs over her yard and send the bill to the HO. Hell thats worth as much as I quoted the whole tree for. Yeah i'm using pushy tactics to get the HO to let me cut down his tree get ####ing real people, tell me what you really think of me cause I sure as hell ain't afraid to do the same just ask TMP.

Well, since you asked....

The only thing that is going to force him to action is a risk accessment by a certified arborist and a certified letter. Unless that's done, it's just an act of god when it falls, not an act of negligence.

So if your concern is truly for your client (and not the $$$ from the job) it seems that behaving in a calm professional manner and initiating the process that will lead to the tree's removal would be a much better course than allowing your emotions to get the better of you and giving him a story to tell everyone he knows. A story about you. A negative story about you.

I bet you don't do the work, and nobody I know likes a pushy salesman, or will ever willingly deal with one twice.

See everybody? I told you this guy is nuts. Hey, that's cool with me though:clap: Just don't go nuts on me.

P.S. I don't have any treecronies but if I did I would yell at them you bet.

thats like the pot calling the kettle black, you know I am nuts but hey at least i'm real.

things could be worse, i could be planting pansies in 95 degee temps.

Well, since you asked....

The only thing that is going to force him to action is a risk accessment by a certified arborist and a certified letter. Unless that's done, it's just an act of god when it falls, not an act of negligence.

So if your concern is truly for your client (and not the $$$ from the job) it seems that behaving in a calm professional manner and initiating the process that will lead to the tree's removal would be a much better course than allowing your emotions to get the better of you and giving him a story to tell everyone he knows. A story about you. A negative story about you.

I bet you don't do the work, and nobody I know likes a pushy salesman, or will ever willingly deal with one twice.

thats my next step, if i don't here back from him i will send him a certified letter. That to cover my own ass in case he tries to pull a fast one on me. Then it's documented.

Back