Mislead Homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the Husky's I see are In that shape, or worse. They seem to be the most neglected brand out there, more so than "green" and "yellow" poulans. These "orange" poulans seem to be prone to collecting debris in the air box as above, and the cheap felt elements are prone to clogging quickly.

Now, look at an Echo...the pleated round element is totally sealed top and bottom, and is nearly impossible to totally clog up. top handled echos use a different style filter.

I've had friends bring me their saws cause they can't get them to start/run... Usually I just dump out the old pre-mix, clean out the fuel tank with a little fresh gas, dump that out, fuel it up a bit with my own fresh pre-mix, clean the air filter, maybe put in a new fuel filter for them, and presto... running, cutting saw.

Then they take it home, and after they burn up the fuel that I put in... they fule the saw back up with the same 2-3 year old pre-mix that caused the problems in the first place, and then the saw runs like crap, or won't start again...

Even after I tell them to not use old fuel, and mix up a fresh batch... DOH!

You can lead a horse to water...:popcorn:

Gary

Welcome to my miserable world... 7 like that today.. all rotten gas, glued carbs, busted hoses, soild filters... Now I stink of old gas and just want a beer or 4 to wash it all away..

Welcome to my miserable world... 7 like that today.. all rotten gas, glued carbs, busted hoses, soild filters... Now I stink of old gas and just want a beer or 4 to wash it all away..

That's a shame....

Today I Installed a few Echo sprockets, made a dozen chains, got a few CS370's, CS-440's, and CS520's ready for Winter, and worked on a few Echo SRM-260 trimmers...

I smell like exhaust, but no rotten gas, no raunchy carbs...none of that..

Only one I got stuck on was a SRM-210, IT has that POS zama Barrel carb. It runs lean at idle, rich WOT, and is non-adjustable. I did a kit, with no luck.

Ill end up popping on a new carb...:clap:

I didn't see that coming:food: :eek: :biggrinbounce2:

What..? It's the truth, they have a superior Air Filter design to ANYTHING coming from Stihl, Husky, etc....

Ive never opened up one of these saws and had a clogged filter, the design doesnt promote it.

What..? It's the truth, they have a superior Air Filter design to ANYTHING coming from Stihl, Husky, etc....

Ive never opened up one of these saws and had a clogged filter, the design doesnt promote it.

My cs346 must not have the same design you "speak" about......

Thats FUNNY Right There..........................

Scott

Man! I can't believe my eyes. I didn't know any saw would that much crud get past the filter. Maybe that MS361 filter doesn't suck as bad as I thought. No, it does but that POS is worse.

I have seen many of those same saws from ebay,
I have seen those same saws mistreated by linemen

That one takes the cake, truly amazing

I've had friends bring me their saws cause they can't get them to start/run... Usually I just dump out the old pre-mix, clean out the fuel tank with a little fresh gas, dump that out, fuel it up a bit with my own fresh pre-mix, clean the air filter, maybe put in a new fuel filter for them, and presto... running, cutting saw.

Then they take it home, and after they burn up the fuel that I put in... they fule the saw back up with the same 2-3 year old pre-mix that caused the problems in the first place, and then the saw runs like crap, or won't start again...

Even after I tell them to not use old fuel, and mix up a fresh batch... DOH!

You can lead a horse to water...:popcorn:

Gary

Been through this with many of my neighbors' yard equipment. It gets tiresome. That's why I changed my philosophy - I don't just work for beer anymore, I work for beer, $$$, and equipment. Got a standing agreement with my next-door: if I can make it run, I can keep it. I offered to look at his BMW convertible last time he was under the hood, but he didn't bite.

So is all the crud on the inside of the air filter the homeowners fault,
or the designer/Husqvarna's fault? I see dirt on the inside a lot.

Some homeowners just dont get it for sure!

Just went through the same thing with my Ole Poulan 305 I sold to a friend awhile back. He said that the front handle was collapsing when he was cutting. I had him bring it into work and I took a look at it the next day.
The saw had broken lower isolator mount and isolator limiter. Evidently he had been pushing on the saw to make it cut.
So after slapping some parts from one of my parts saw for the time being, till the parts come in from a used saw parts site sponsor.
I went to the wood pile, now get this he said it was his sharpest chain and I could see why he broke the freaking rubber mounts. I just hate to see the DULL chain on the 3750. Also never seen a tank so dry, NO bar oil whatsoever to be seen.
So I gave my homeowner buddy his reprimand and got a good laugh and didnt charge him a dime.

Last edited:
The problem with homeowners is that they don't know how to sharpen a chain. With sharp chains, I agree with Woodie on the 6 months cleaning interval on a 2171. That is compared to once a day on the 026.

I get some chains for free from a guy who doesn't know how to sharpen them ;) He has a 024 and he changes chain without using the tensioning mechanism! Don't know how but he does it.

Wow ! That's terrible maintennance or rather NO MAINTENNANCE! The idiot should be slapped up-side the head.

However I do have a problem with RED-85-Z51 referring to the 55 Rancher as a glorified throw-away Poulan. This mag case beauty is super dependable and has been around in production for a long time. In fact I've still got mine - in fact Red-85 is only 5 years older than my saw according to his profile!

So let's try to train the goofballs but don't necessarily blame the saws - - no matter the brand!

Al :cheers:

Darn, Woodie just told a new 2171 owner to clean his filter every 7 months or even 7 years......:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

:)

You knucklehead, if the guy was smart enough to buy a 2171, he's smart enough to know when I'm kidding!

Of course, I know you're only razzing me now...

Back