mixing fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone got a good simple quick method of measuring oil to poor into fuel jugs?

I used to use the stihl dino oil that came in 1L bottles with a measuring thingy built in. Last year Iswitched to stihl ultra because I got a great buy on couple boxes of the 100ml bottles. It cost me about the same as the dino stuff. It was real quick and simple - twist top off, tip in fuel jug, add 5L of fuel for 50:1. Even the groundies could do it. All our jugs are 5L and we try to mix up only what we need for a day - usually 2 or 3 jugs.

Trouble is the stihl ultra was giving me headaches and messing with my sinuses. We had to give it up. I've tried a few oils since and I think I've settled on the belray fully synthetic stuff. Honestly Im not that fussed on oil. So long as it does the job and doesn't give me a headache that's fine. I'm running saws, not launching spaceships ;-)

Trying out all these oils I was mildly surprised that they all come in containers with no way of measuring. I've tried a few ideas, carrying little measuring cups, oversize measuring syringes etc. They've all ended up being slow, messy and a bit of a pain. They all end up covered in slime, then crap sticks to them and you've got to clean them out each time you use them. Went down the store today and looked at all the jugs available, nothing has any measuring device built in. Could try re-using the stihl 1L bottles but they dont seem to last long. Whatever I use has to live in the truck.

What is everyone doing?

I mix 5 gals at a time, using the 2.5 bottles. Then poor it from the big can to a little can, little can fills saws, big can is the gas station. Both ride on the truck. Man, they are getting real pricey with that crap too. I buy cheap bar oil, but not the mix, wish there was a decent generic. 15 bucks+ for a 6 pack is BS

I use Ams oil, which is a synthetic. and I put in some Star Tron to treat the fuel. Works good for me.

LT

I use the little stihl bottles that makes up 2.5 gallons. Really doesn't get much easier. Poor in 1 bottle per 2.5 gallons. Two 2.5 gallon gas cans last us a week

what some other guys said.

buy little bottles that mix with 2.5 gallons for the 50:1. The Jonsered & Echo runs about 12 or 13 bucks a six pack from the stealership. neat and clean, just the cost of runnin' saws.

if ya' wanna buy the bigger jugs of mix and avoid the mess, you might try keeping a couple cans of break cleaner in the tool bag and use it to clean the measuring cup and top of jug .?.?

i keep a can of break cleaner spray in my tool bag and use it to blow off the fuel and oil caps on the saw before i re-fill. it aint free by no means but it keeps crap outta my chainsaw. i also use it to blow out the bar groove and sech when putting a fresh chain on the bar. then re-grease the roller tip on the bar before i get started again.

Go to your local dirt bike/motor sports shop and get one of the "ratio rights". Doesn't get any easier. Any ratio and several different amounts of fuel to mix all on the side of the cup. I also like the ams oil.

what about a bottle stable comes in or treeage tree age is in ml. idk if that would be some thing easly convertable but id be nice to just squeze untill you have enough in the small part of the bottle

Go to your local dirt bike/motor sports shop and get one of the "ratio rights". Doesn't get any easier. Any ratio and several different amounts of fuel to mix all on the side of the cup. I also like the ams oil.

I keep a ratio rite in the garage. It would quickly get filled with crud in the truck.

I use the small Sthil bottles. Bought the six pack once and have been reusing them since, filling them from 1 litre bottles.

I dont think we get the same bottles in aus that you guys get stateside. We get the 1L stihl bottles with the measuring device built in, and also the 'one shot' bottles which are disposable 100ml jobs that make 5L at 50:1. The top twists off and doesnt go back on, the hole is tiny and there is no practical way to refill/reuse them. I'd still like to go for 100ml and keep mixing 5L jugs.

Shaun

how about baby feeding bottles?

i use one to test gas for ethanol.

they come in a bunch of different sizes.

Ams Oil Sabre 100:1. Ethenal free. Mixed with a ratio right. I prefer race gas.92+octain .
Remember
gas goes bad fast, 1 month in best case scenario. (if not in a large storage container)
the 1 shot containers dont come full. They have a fill line.(2.6oz I think)
octain boost doesnt work
CLEAN AIR+PERFECT FUEL=SAW WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER :msp_biggrin::msp_wub:

Latest posts

Back