mixing ratios for 2 stroke chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you tune your equipment it shouldn’t be blowing any fuel mix out of the exhaust.
Traditional two strokes always have. That’s the idea behind strato technology is to purge the exhaust with plain air rather than mixed fuel.
More like they are blowing 20% less raw fuel out the exhaust.
The 20-30% less comes from the strato air ports. The point being, if a motor is 30% more efficient due to the strato ports, that same fresh air that purges out the exhaust never went through the bottom end and lubricated the bearings

Traditional two strokes always have. That’s the idea behind strato technology is to purge the exhaust with plain air rather than mixed fuel.

The 20-30% less comes from the strato air ports. The point being, if a motor is 30% more efficient due to the strato ports, that same fresh air that purges out the exhaust never went through the bottom end and lubricated the bearings
That makes sense. Still, to prove if 50 to1, 40 to 1, 32 to 1, or whatever makes a difference you have to test it against another test group. Otherwise, you are just believing something .
Stihl says you can run the HP Ultra 70 to 1 with no problems. And, you can bet they have tested it.
Hell, Amsoil says 100 to 1 .

In the meantime I have a Lawn Boy 2 stroke that says 32 to 1 right on the cap and I have been running it 50 to 1 for 30 years. I have had to replace the gear box, the rear wheels several times, front wheels several times. The deck is welded up like Frankenstein's face. And, it just keeps going.

I take all of the clutter with a lot of salt.

That makes sense. Still, to prove if 50 to1, 40 to 1, 32 to 1, or whatever makes a difference you have to test it against another test group. Otherwise, you are just believing something .
Stihl says you can run the HP Ultra 70 to 1 with no problems. And, you can bet they have tested it.
Hell, Amsoil says 100 to 1 .

In the meantime I have a Lawn Boy 2 stroke that says 32 to 1 right on the cap and I have been running it 50 to 1 for 30 years. I have had to replace the gear box, the rear wheels several times, front wheels several times. The deck is welded up like Frankenstein's face. And, it just keeps going.

I take all of the clutter with a lot of salt.
Your litmus test for what an adequate amount of oil is that the motor didn't blow immediately. Almost any oil will run 100:1 or even more without blowing immediately. The long term effects of that are chronic though.
A lawnboy turns around 4000rpm. So it's not much of a test. With that said a LB duraforce won't last for 30 years even with 32:1 and the common failure route with those are the big end bearings which use a rube goldberg roller over shell design. Likewise a older lawnoy with bronze bushings instead of roller or ball bearings will not last long at 50:1.
I don't know why it's en vogue to try and run a 2 stroke motor which is marginally lubricated in the first place on the least amount of oil possible.

I don't know why it's en vogue to try and run a 2 stroke motor which is marginally lubricated in the first place on the least amount of oil possible.

I think it's a noisy minority that are trying to see how close they can get to running their engine without oil. Most people run more oil, even if it's "just adding an extra glug" for good measure.

I think it's a noisy minority that are trying to see how close they can get to running their engine without oil. Most people run more oil, even if it's "just adding an extra glug" for good measure.
I run the Lawn Boy 50 to 1 because I didn't want to mix seperate for it. I have three of them and if I live long enough for this one to quit I'll start on another one.

I run 50 to 1 in the saws, blowers,trimmers, because that is what Stihl , whose dealer I work for, recommends.

As opposed to whatever goof ball of the week or year on an internet forum recommends.

I run the Lawn Boy 50 to 1 because I didn't want to mix seperate for it. I have three of them and if I live long enough for this one to quit I'll start on another one.

I run 50 to 1 in the saws, blowers,trimmers, because that is what Stihl , whose dealer I work for, recommends.

As opposed to whatever goof ball of the week or year on an internet forum recommends.
Stihl also tells you to run Ultra, which is the worst oil sold by a saw OEM....

I never read every post in this thread, but my thoughts were always more oil equals more carbon equals more heat. I know a guy that mixed Amsoil at 100:1 for his Stihl saws and claimed he never had a problem. Sounds mighty lean to me, but I guess if it works it works. I just always mix what the saw manufacturer calls for. I never had a saw fail due to scoring or broken rings ,except when I was young and ran an 028 for about 4 hours a day with a bad intake boot because I didn't know any better.

I never read every post in this thread, but my thoughts were always more oil equals more carbon equals more heat. I know a guy that mixed Amsoil at 100:1 for his Stihl saws and claimed he never had a problem. Sounds mighty lean to me, but I guess if it works it works. I just always mix what the saw manufacturer calls for. I never had a saw fail due to scoring or broken rings ,except when I was young and ran an 028 for about 4 hours a day with a bad intake boot because I didn't know any better.
Except none of that crap is true. Here is a high hour 20220123_172937.jpg20220123_172945.jpg 32:1 piston from a strato motor.

I was thinking the people who run leaner than the factory recommends. One guy actually said he puts 100:1 in customer's equipment, which is the same as your mechanic changing the oil in your car and only putting two quarts back in, as far as I'm concerned.

I prefer more oil than 50:1, regardless of what the factory says, and have my reasons for doing so. Being one of the goofballs on the internet, I won't bother explaining them to you.

Latest posts

Back