Modders beware!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

Yes, I'm in law school, but I was on this forum before I was ever in law school. Law students are normal people too you know. :)

Do you ride the short bus to your school?

I have never met a successful law school student that spends day and night berating strangers on a forum. If you really are a student at law, you should start hitting the books instead of trolling the net.

Once again, that is nothing like what I said. Perhaps an illustration will clarify the matter.

If you ignore a speeding law because you want to speed, you are immoral.

If you ignore a law that says your race must give up a seat on a bus to other races and you ignore that law because that law violates your moral and ethical code, you are not immoral.

I was speaking specifically of the former (as I've clarified more than once) and not the latter.

I have heard a lot of nonsense in my life, but none quite like this.

Are you aware of the countless unenforceable laws that are still on the books; does the fact that society ignores silly laws make everyone immoral? Are you aware that there is a difference between some one who does something unethical and one who is inherently unethical? are you aware of the difference between unethical and Immoral? are you aware of the different levels of mens rea? are you aware of the difference between your ass and your elbow?

Are you aware of the countless unenforceable laws that are still on the books; does the fact that society ignores silly laws make everyone immoral? Are you aware that there is a difference between some one who does something unethical and one who is inherently unethical? are you aware of the difference between unethical and Immoral? are you aware of the different levels of mens rea? are you aware of the difference between your ass and your elbow?

$15,000 fine for illegal dispersing of Freon. and people have been caught at it!

Moral absolutes are based on laws. No questions about it. Here are a few laws - from a state chosen at random - that reflect that fact:

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/arkansas

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.

Oral sex is considered to be sodomy.

Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.

Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.

Bottom line, you cannot legislate morality. The fact that an act is or is not a law does not mean that it is or is not moral. There must be a foundation other than legislated law on which to base morality. Otherwise, we simply definte morality to fit our own selfish desires. This country was built on Judeo Christian morals and ethics. Historically it has been these morals and ethics that have governed our laws. As time has gone on, our own selfish self-fulfillng ways have caused us to deviate farther and farther from the truth in our law making. Abortion is a classic example of this. The fact that abortion is not illegal in no way makes killing an innocent human being an ethical and moral act. It always has been, and always will be, immoral and unethical. Period. You see, you take the foundation out from under your belief system, and neither you nor society have anything to stand on.

$15,000 fine for illegal dispersing of Freon. and people have been caught at it!

If it were taken to court, the EPA would have had to proven that Freon was a threat to the ozone.

I am not huge on being lied to.

What is the bet that if you fallow the money trail you would find some ties to the equipment and manufacturing of the replacement to R-13 ?

Moral absolutes are based on laws. No questions about it. Here are a few laws - from a state chosen at random - that reflect that fact:

Well, well boogah I c your bringing AR into this lmao don't forget private owner laws. Like the laws of my land: There shall be no revenuers ,thives,lawyers government employees or any other cowardice sobs hiding behind a title allowed to set foot on this said,{lawyer words} property or else!

Well, well boogah I c your bringing AR into this lmao don't forget private owner laws. Like the laws of my land: There shall be no revenuers ,thives,lawyers government employees or any other cowardice sobs hiding behind a title allowed to set foot on this said,{lawyer words} property or else!

Here's a couple more:

From Vermont:

-Women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

-At one time it was illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole.

-It is illegal to deny the existence of God. (popularly known as the spacemule Act)

From my own home state. (Seeing as though I ran my seaweed collecting machine down in Rye last Sunday, I guess I'm none too moral):

-It is illegal to pick seaweed up off of the beach.

-You may not run machinery on Sundays.

I love some of the dumb laws on the books, always good for a chuckle.:laugh:

I was on the floor when my state passed a law that you had to yield to a transit bus with ten or more passengers. Guess I'd have to stop the bus to count them. LOL

It was amended and now you just have to yield to all buses. Trouble was they didn't set a fine or enforcement procedure, so for several years afterward I never yielded to a bus. :biggrinbounce2:

They changed it and so now I yield to them unless I'm in the woo woo car.;)

Mr. HE:cool:

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.

Oral sex is considered to be sodomy.

Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.

Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.

Rope,

How many of the BigFour have you violated at a time. I'm guessing three.

ole joat

Ok, ok, you guys have made your point. We all know there are some ridiculous laws on the books. Obviously we don't follow all laws, and I didn't mean to imply we should.

Still, there is no doubt a moral quality about respecting the rule of law. My poor definition of this issue does not change that fact.

Still, there is no doubt a moral quality about respecting the rule of law.

That I can agree with. Moral people are more likely to follow the law. We say that if you are truly trying to do the right thing you rarely break the law and if you do it is unlikely you will be prosecuted for it.

That saying however applies to state and county laws. Federal laws on the other hand are so far from reasonable that studies have shown that people unknowingly break several of them a year on average; good people that don't have so much as a speeding ticket.

Time for a group hug.
a%20(15).gif

I'll join ya after I put the git-fiddle down. I'm leading the first verse of Kumbaya. (Unless I can fake my way through the theme song of "Golden Girls."
guitar.gif

:)

EDIT:
So much for the Era of Good Feelings lasting long. :laugh:

Rope,

How many of the BigFour have you violated at a time. I'm guessing three.

ole joat

Last edited:
If it were taken to court, the EPA would have had to proven that Freon was a threat to the ozone.

What is the bet that if you fallow the money trail you would find some ties to the equipment and manufacturing of the replacement to R-13 ?

A lot of good Lawyers make their living going that route. If I remember correctly, the EPA would not be required to prove it as a threat. The passing of a law regulating it is enough. Gets even worse when the data used to pass the law is provided by the enforcement agency.

You could attempt to base your defense on the lack of proof or countering documentation, but that doesn't mean the Judge is required to allow it nor would the EPA be required to offer additional evidence beyond the existence of the law.

Now my head hurts...

Still, there is no doubt a moral quality about respecting the rule of law.

Only when the rule of law respects individual rights. Any law that does not respect rights is inherently invalid.

Some laws are so ridiculous (like this epa crap), that they are a joke anyway. I respect laws that mean something, and are put in place for a good reason. I dont drink and drive, kill people, or things like that, but if I want to mod my saws, I dont give a fat crap what the government says about. This is supposed to be a free country still. Some of these laws the past few administrations have imposed is nothing but communistic, and I will not live that way.

you mean R134a right?

Time for a group hug.
a%20(15).gif

I'll join ya after I put the git-fiddle down. I'm leading the first verse of Kumbaya. (Unless I can fake my way through the theme song of "Golden Girls."
guitar.gif

:)

EDIT:
So much for the Era of Good Feelings lasting long. :laugh:

:laugh: I don't think I'd go that far. What I think of Space and his being here have not changed. I've just learned that even when someone you don't like says something right it is best to acknowledge that.

Back