model/brand choice - bigger saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been working on a reforestation project for 22 years, on property that also had some old trees. Most of my sawing involved pruning and younger trees, and my needs were pretty adequately met with a Stihl 009 I bought new 20 years ago. I fitted it with a 16 inch bar, which is probably more bar than it wants, but it allows the occasional longer cut and offers good reach.

I have some of the reeeeally mature trees, notably some 100' cottonwoods, and other big stuff that is failing and will either fall or need assistance... some of it has fallen already.

So... I need a bigger saw, will use it for a range of things, and will also still have the 009, as it is in really good condition yet.

I have been reading this forum for quite a while, just trying to learn. You talk about the virtues of a good dealer. There are two Husky dealers here, one of which also sell Jonserud, but the really good dealer here sells Stihl, and there are actually two large Stihl dealers, the one being where I got my saw and also a brush cutter. A good store with good folks.

I believe I would like a 24 inch bar, and am considering the Stihl 036, 044, and 046. Bigger is better, but it is also heavier. Another thread here about forest fire fighters mentioned the 044 quite a lot, and I wonder if that is because in some way it is better than the 046.

I am also interested in the claims about the Husky air injection/filtering business, and wonder if there is anything to that.

I am also curious as to the opinion of those who have worked all day with 036/044 weight saws, and wonder if the approximately one extra pound is significant, or not.

I like the idea of the power of the 044 or 046, and I think I like the air filter arrangement.

Sorry for the long and wandering remarks. Talk to me, please.
Thanks for your thoughts.

044 or 046

044 or 046 Either one will do the job well, the 036 is just to heavy for the less hp when you will need it, the 044 or 046 both are good choices :)

What price range $$$

I run a Stihl saw 066 and 028 and those "green" guys. My next saw will be a Husky or Solo. I think the warranty on these saws are much longer than a Stihl. The saws weigh less.

I would guess that the forestry guys use the 044 because of the $100 difference in price from the 046. Both are good saws, not an extreme difference in output. I've run both and find them very similar in 'feel'.
Very few in my area use the 036 although it is a very good saw. Most go with a 50cc saw like the 026 and a larger saw like the 044 or 046.

372/044/046

Sounds like you need a bit larger saw than what you are packing now. Both the 440 and 460 saws are very good and strong for there weight, use them 5 days a week. prefer the 460 for alittle more power and once you get going I can't hardly tell the difference between them Weight wise. We use 28" bars and both pull them quite well. I would also consider the husky 372xp if I were you. If I had my choice we would run 372's but the boss supplies us with stihl. The 372 cuts more like a 460 with the weight of a 440, plus you will probably find that the 372 is priced a little cheaper than a 460.
Would definantly go with one of the three if you can find one that is comfortable. Happy cutting and don't forget the chaps and helmet!!!

Matt

Bigsnowdog,

Where in eastern Iowa are you? I am on the IA IL border. Since you said you have some 100 foot cottonwoods I assume you are near the river. I would love to break out my Husky 3120 and drop some trees for you. If you really are set a buying one I have a Husky 272, 3120, Stihl 038 and 044. They are all great saws and could not reccomend one over the other.

Bill G

Never used an 044 but it would be my pick of the stihl line. Had an 046 mag, good power but a little heavy for me, I'm 53 and like light. Got a 372XP now and I really like that saw, next saw I buy will either be 036 stihl or 357XP, good power for the weight.

I currently have a 346xp, and a 372xp, both walkerized. I mainly use the 346 for weight and its unbelievable power. But when I need to take something larger down, I will use the 372. That saw is an animal. The anti-vibration, balance, weight and power for a 71cc saw is quite impressive. Yes the warranties are different. Husqvarna has a 2 year warranty, which is amazing for a chainsaw.
My buddy and I were on a job where we removed 15 cottonwood in the 24-30 inch range not long ago. He runs an 044, which he really likes. I let him use my 372, and he now wishes for his 044 to wear out prematurely so he can get a new saw.

From a long time Stihl user, get the 372. I did and it is by far the best saw I've had. My 044's were great but the 372 is just plain better.

For a 24" bar I would definately go with a saw that is at least 70cc. I would see who would give you the best price on either a 2171 Jonsered, 372 Husqvarna or 044 Stihl. They are all good saws and you'll probably end up with the Husky. Once you get it contact one of the saw tuners and have the muffler modified. It will make more power and last longer.
My $.02

the 372 is awesome, will eat anything you put in front of it!..plus the 372xp is $569 (20-24" bar your choice) (free shipping and no tax) at alamia.com... and thats the coolest part!-Matt

Twenty five years is indeed a long time for a reforestation project with an 009. If an 009 did this well for 25 years, I would try for a couple of good used ones, and see if you can get another 25 years.

Get an 036, a 359 Husky/ 2159 Jonsered or a a CS62 John Deere. If you have gotten along this far with a 009 , you probably do not need to jump clear up to an 046, 372 or such.

Buddy, Power to weight is everything when you get some age on you.

The 372xp is $549 with a 20" bar and $568 with a 24" bar at southwestfastener.com and they have free shipping in the continental US. I agree with Matt that the 372 rocks. Mod the muffler and it's "Off the hook, Yo".....I think?

Originally posted by Tony Snyder
Buddy, Power to weight is everything when you get some age on you.

But isn't the extra power worth the weight? You only have to lift it when your falling, starting a cut and going to and from the job.:p
While bucking the weight works for you.:D

I have the Husky 372XP & would never go back to anything else! My property has the hardest wood trees on earth & it does a wonderful job!

I use the 372 for everything. trimming the hedge, carving the turkey,etc..lol..that is a good price at southwest fastener..I just womner how their support is..I am impressed with alamia, they have taken care of me-Matt

bigsnowdog
Check and see if you have a Jonsered Dealer in your neck of the woods, and if so test out the 2171 Turbo great saw,and useally great support.I don't know if the bag and drag deal is still on but if it is take a junker in and they nock off a 100.

it will carve turkey and serve turkey all at the same time.

for what you are talking about doing i would go with either the 036 or an 044. i have an 046 and an 036 amongst others but i use the 046 the most. i like the power to weight ratio of an 036 with a 20'' bar and 3/8ths chain:angel:

Latest posts

Back