Most under-rated saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Fisherized" Eager Beaver, with the patented "Maglev" bar system, with the
Synthetic liquid nitrogen bar oil, with a full .404 chisel, "27 inch bar".
Now a man that has never had sex with a fat chick, or has never been to jail,
definitely cannot be trusted, moderator of the month, or not!

Don't know about all time but I think Solo is far underated. Don't understand why they really don't have much of a market.

I wonder about some of the older Alpina/Castor saws. I've never used any, but the specs on several of these looks nice. I've heard a few people comment they are on the heavy side, but most older saws are compared to newer plastic saws. No idea about power, ease of repair, longevity. Anyone ever use any of these and think maybe they're underrated?

Dan

I think the 029/39 are underrated. I keep a 29 super on the ground with the 360pro to knock up brush. I personally can't tell much difference in the way they run. 29's a bit heavier, sure. both pull 20" 3/8 33rslf about the same.
-Ralph

One question guys.When do you all think,the first compurized chainsaw will be made that can be programed to go to the woods by its self so the owner can say at home and not have to do anything.Sure would settle the whinein about how heavy that saw was to carry around all day.What if they made a saw out of air, I am sure that some one would say ,gee that saw works great but man is that thing every heavy.Been hearing that for over 40 years and im still hearing it.Its not the power heads that are heavy its these humunguss bars every ones puting on these power heads that add on the extra weight.16 inch bar should cut down 30 inch tree,Ive done it.Maybe we need to be looking into some kind of a lazer attachment to hook onto the power heads.Sure would shave off a lot of extra weight.Anyways I like the old homelites.Easy to repair if needed and when you put them in the wood they did something.Yes they may have been a little heavy and loud but they worked.XL 76 and XL130s are my choice.Thanks for listening.Don.

056 magnuum.

Big, ugly, and heavy. Though, Girly mean need not apply (no compression release). These beasts just refuse to die and are so simple a monkey with a crack habit can rebuild it with no issues. Makes a great back-up if every thing else sh!ts the bed.

I don't know if they are under rated, maybe unknown is a better word, but the Husky 336/ Shihl ms200 rear handled saws are great.
Small and light they could be a great homeowner saw, or to fill in th 0 to 70cc gap for tree services. It'sa great training saw or to keep near the chipper for quick cuts. Nice little climbing saws too.
Every pro user who first uses the little things say pretty much the same thing, "Nice little saw."

My most under-rated saw is my Weed Eater brand 8" pole saw. Actualy only the head is Weed eater, I have rodded the unit with a big CC Troy-Built power head. Muffler mods are in the works along with porting, a bigger 5 tooth spur and racing chains but as is it will cut though a 4" branch in an amazing 5 minutes,,,Its still a whole lot quicker than climbing the tree with the 660 to trim branches.

Husky 246. I have one that's 8 years old with unthinkablel hours. It's still a little powerhouse. the only repair i've done is a new recoil rope.

DirtTroll said:
056 magnuum.

Big, ugly, and heavy. Though, Girly mean need not apply (no compression release). These beasts just refuse to die and are so simple a monkey with a crack habit can rebuild it with no issues. Makes a great back-up if every thing else sh!ts the bed.

underrated? Maybe in some parts but this is still a beloved saw by a lot of people. I have one guy that has had me rebuild his like 3 times. He absolutely refuses to get rid of his Mag II. I only question the underrated part as I have always concidered the 056 Mag II one of the best of the classic saws. We use to cut a lot of 4' and 5' cedar with them and many a forest was laid down with them. In it's class, I don't think you will find a more dependable or a tougher saw than the 056 mag II.

i have to vote for my Echo CS-8000 as the most under rated saw.. and brand for that matter.. sure my saw may be a bit ugly on the outside.. but id like to see somebody bring an 066 over to my place and go head to head cutting :)

Latest posts

Back