MS 211 or MS 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed1124

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Ms211 tomorrow and I just wanted to see if anybody thought a ms250 might be a better choice. Ms 211 is 9.5 lb. and 2.3 horse. The 250 is 10.1 and 3.0 horse. They are both around 280 bucks. I will be using a 14 inch bar. I am getting tired of lugging around the ms 310 for smaller stuff and the ms 460 is reserved for the big stuff only. I was going out today for the ms250 and picked up the 211 and really liked it. New technology strato with spring av. Any Husky suggestions in this price/weight/power range would be appreciated as well.

Either saw will would be a good choice. The MS211 will use less fuel and the MS250 will have more power.

Well I am a bit biased as I've had a MS250 for about 5 years and it has proven to be a pretty darn good saw. Mine has a 16" bar and a 14" bar would be pretty awesome. A tank of gas lasts about as long as I can before a break, FWIW.

Mine has the wrenchless system and I just absolutely love it. It holds the bar just fine but the great thing is if you are clearing brush and the chain jumps it is only a minute and a half delay, and if the brush is really thick you do not even need to set the saw down.

Anyway, it is light enough for me so that is my vote, however it is too heavy to use one handed so that is not an option if that is important to you.

I have the ms250 also... and I will say its a great saw did all of my firewood cutting for about 4 years with it... fell trees where I had to cut from both sides... ( tree was bigger than 18 bar)... well I did till I found this site... now I have 5.... and is always on the lookout... for more...

Wow, I thought people would be saying 211. Any Husky fans with something in this range. Maybe the 250 is the way to go? HHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM......

I'd prolly go with the 250, just more saw for the money. I'm not afraid of the stamped connecting rod at all. Now if I were going to mod it and run it at 16-17k I might be concerned, but the engineers at Stihl aren't going to put something out on the market that is going to fail prematurely. There are hundreds of thousands of little 170's and 180's out on the market that have run for years with no issue with that rod.
I've surely got one of the most abused ones around, never and issue, but no doubt the 250's set up is stronger, designed for it power output. When they are that close in price I'd always opt for more power, you'll never notice the weight difference in real world conditions and the 250 should handle a 16" bar nicely.

Thanks for the replies guys. Whats with that stamped steel rod? Have they been known to fail?

I've never heard of one failing under normal use. However, they are very fragile though when it comes to working on them. If you use the wrong piston stop when removing the clutch, you're liable to bend it like a pretzel. Bottom line, I want a pro built saw. The 211 has it's place, but it's very disappointing to find such cheap construction in a Stihl saw. It's a real bummer that Stihl doesn't offer a pro grade saw like this in the US. Too bad we can't get the MS241.

I've always regretted not getting the more powerful model when I had a choice. I'd go with the 250 for about the same money. I've run a good 2.2hp (husky 36) saw and a 2.9hp saw (024) and there is a world of difference in power. You can run up to an 18" bar on the 250 if you have a need to later on.

211 vs 250

I too have a 250 but I'm going to get a 211 soon. When I do, I'll give you a comparison of the two. Stay tuned.

Realizing that you already got the 250 ... for anybody else wondering the same thing...

I have both of those saws. It just depends on what you want to do with it. The 211 is lighter, smoother, and uses less fuel. The 250 has more power. Both are good little saws. If you are looking for best power in this weight range, go with the 250. If you are more concerned about weight, go with the 211.

I'd say that if you are were concerned about weight to get the 192.
The 250 has 4.49cc per pound vs the 211's 3.7cc per pound ... so that last half a pound is buying you more than 10cc or .7hp.

I just bought a MS211 and here's why, I have a many other bigger Stihl saws that I can call on if needed. I wanted a very light saw for cutting brush and odd jobs around the property. The 211 does a great job for what I want it to do. If I didn't have all my other saws and was only going to have one saw I would go with the MS250. Only one saw? A scary thought to all of us here at AS.

Steve

I just bought a MS211 and here's why, I have a many other bigger Stihl saws that I can call on if needed. I wanted a very light saw for cutting brush and odd jobs around the property. The 211 does a great job for what I want it to do. If I didn't have all my other saws and was only going to have one saw I would go with the MS250. Only one saw? A scary thought to all of us here at AS.

Steve

Having only one chainsaw is the basis of a horror movie :D

I have owned a ms210, and have run a ms250 it depends what you are trying to do with it. MS210 good limmer and good for bucking 4-6" stuff. 250 will give you the power you need if you get to larger stuff 10-12" and still has the light weight for quick limming.
My .02
Good luck

Me too!

I have the ms250 also... and I will say its a great saw did all of my firewood cutting for about 4 years with it... fell trees where I had to cut from both sides... ( tree was bigger than 18 bar)... well I did till I found this site... now I have 5.... and is always on the lookout... for more...

That's exactly what happened to me - MS250 (025 really) for about 15 years never let me down and managed fine - just took a bit longer on bigger jobs but I didn't know any different. Then visited this site and bought a 262xp, and ..... well a few others too.

Don't use the MS250 much now but ended up using similar size saw (242xpg) most often as it's light and handles most of my work fine.

So another thumbs up for the MS250.

Back