MS 211 or MS 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a ms210, and have run a ms250 it depends what you are trying to do with it. MS210 good limmer and good for bucking 4-6" stuff. 250 will give you the power you need if you get to larger stuff 10-12" and still has the light weight for quick limming.
My .02
Good luck

210 and 250 are really identical except for the power. But the 211 is a newer, smoother, lighter design.

I've never heard of one failing under normal use. However, they are very fragile though when it comes to working on them. If you use the wrong piston stop when removing the clutch, you're liable to bend it like a pretzel. Bottom line, I want a pro built saw. The 211 has it's place, but it's very disappointing to find such cheap construction in a Stihl saw. It's a real bummer that Stihl doesn't offer a pro grade saw like this in the US. Too bad we can't get the MS241.

"Can't" is a strong word.;)

15 years with an 025 and you were happy. then you came here. CAD strikes again! a 211, or a 250- pretty soon it will be a 261!

I just bought a MS250 a couple days ago to use for limbing and brush. In the short time I've had it I've been very glad I bought it, Light and powerful enough for my needs and starts easily. I know it's not Pro-level but then neither am I. :biggrin:

For 300 bucks and a 2 year warranty with a 6 pack of Stihl oil I'm happy.

211-250

I have 2 021's and 2 ms250's also 2 025's and they have been my favorite saws for many years. Then came this place and CAD. I have to say the ms250 would be the best for me ,not enough weight diff to matter and 3 hp is fun in a small nimble pkg. I have not run the 211 yet so can't comment on it but it is my understanding it is basically the same power as the 021 ms210. Oh and I hate to say it but the 346xp blows them both up. I know it's a different class of saw but if money doesn't matter wow at the difference.

Last edited:
Eat a Peach said, "I have not run the 211 yet so can't comment on it but it is my understanding it is basically the same power."
----------------
No entire way. The Stihl MS 250 is a much stronger saw than the MS 211. Try noodling crotch with each and you will find out rather rapidly. The 211 is not much stronger than my old 010 AV.

250 all the way

I had an 025 which is basically the same as the ms250. I also had an ms310 so I know what you mean by lugging it around to cut smaller stuff. The 250 is very compact and easy to manuever around in blowdowns and brushy areas. It is also much lighter and easier on your body. It will also run Stihl's awesome .325 RS or even Oregon 95VP. The only thing that I didn't like was the fuel line going into the tank was very short and made it kind of a pain to get the fuel filter out to change. Stihl may have addressed this inconvenience with the 250.

Eat a Peach said, "I have not run the 211 yet so can't comment on it but it is my understanding it is basically the same power."
----------------
No entire way. The Stihl MS 250 is a much stronger saw than the MS 211. Try noodling crotch with each and you will find out rather rapidly. The 211 is not much stronger than my old 010 AV.
W DR Sorry for the confusion but I mean't same power as the 021 ms210 not the ms250:D

I've never heard of one failing under normal use. However, they are very fragile though when it comes to working on them. If you use the wrong piston stop when removing the clutch, you're liable to bend it like a pretzel. Bottom line, I want a pro built saw. The 211 has it's place, but it's very disappointing to find such cheap construction in a Stihl saw. It's a real bummer that Stihl doesn't offer a pro grade saw like this in the US. Too bad we can't get the MS241.

Hi David.
Many thanks for your email. We can supply you with the above item and thank you for all of the addition information you have supplied us with.
We can supply this for
MS241CM-16” @ £371.00 GBP
Carriage @ £76.00 GBP England to Australia
Please note: The UK Version of this chainsaw is supplied with .325 chain and not 3/8 as stated on the website.
Best regards
Leon Wright

That makes a imported MS241CM 16 the same price as a localy sourced MS211 that says a lot about our bovine manure pricing

Hi David.
Many thanks for your email. We can supply you with the above item and thank you for all of the addition information you have supplied us with.
We can supply this for
MS241CM-16” @ £371.00 GBP
Carriage @ £76.00 GBP England to Australia
Please note: The UK Version of this chainsaw is supplied with .325 chain and not 3/8 as stated on the website.
Best regards
Leon Wright

That makes a imported MS241CM 16 the same price as a localy sourced MS211 that says a lot about our bovine manure pricing

How do you work that out? 700USD converted for the MS241, compared with 289USD for the MS211 local...:dizzy:

Last edited:
The only issue I have with the ms210, 230, 250 family (I have an ms210c, which has been reliable and has never failed to start.) is that the top of the cylinder cannot be accessed for cleaning without dissembling most of the saw. Compressed air into the fins from the flywheel area is the only reasonable option. OTOH, the ms211 shroud comes off easily for cleaning. My concern with the 211 is past reports of b/c oil line leaks.

Unless you have shoulder issues, don't bother with the easy-start option. Also, the tool-less chain tensioner is handy for occasional use, but is a pain when you have to flip the bar, and doesn't feel as robust as the standard clutch cover connection.

If you have a Husky dealer around, you might check out the 445.

Just put 3 tanks thru a MS 250 today; I didn't pull out the bigger saw (25" b/c) until the rounds were over 16" dia and I didn't hit any fencing or fencing staples today :)

250 has plenty of power for the size of the motor and both my 250's run 18" b/c

Just do a few simple mod's to them like MM and switch chains (get rid of the safety chain) and you'll like that saw even more :msp_ohmy:

Latest posts

Back