MS 241?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However 7sleepeer does make a point. The MS260 was THE saw about 10 years ago. Probably one of Stihl's best sellers around here. Even most municipalities and utilities around me were outfitting their crews with them. But none that I have heard tell are rebuilding them when OEM top ends go for $350+.

However 7sleepeer does make a point. The MS260 was THE saw about 10 years ago. Probably one of Stihl's best sellers around here. Even most municipalities and utilities around me were outfitting their crews with them. But none that I have heard tell are rebuilding them when OEM top ends go for $350+.

A more important point I think is twenty years from now I'll be sitting on a beach in Portugal. Ain't got no time for rebuilding no saw.

You almost sent me off on a rant. Then, I saw you are from across the pond. Things are done a little differently here in the USA. A certain segment of our population has higher expectations when it comes to longevity of our tools. The rest buy Wild-Things at the same store where they buy potato chips and cigarettes. I have NEVER been satisfied with a made in China product, and frankly, don't like having them jammed down our throat by a bunch of cheapskates that wouldn't know QC if it bit them in the ass.
That's OK, no reason to hold back! Very similar situation across the pond. We probably have the same segment of population here that has higher expectations, but what does a original 260 top end cost in the US? And even here on AS, in an environment of addicts, who has ever bought a brand new original top end from a dealer for a well used saw? Never heard of it! There are a ton of threads about aftermarket but never of OEM! Who in his right mind would buy, just a guess, for 200$ a new top end for a 260, let's not forget new bearings, seals, etc. for some cash more, have a dealer install it all and in the end have a bill of a few hundred dollars, if he can get a brand new f.e. echo 590 for 400$ incl. 5 years warenty, or Dolmar 5105, Husqvarna 545 for ~500$, that will put any standard 260 to shame?!?!
Why is it possible in the US to go to dealers and get pickup loads full of outdated saws? Where often only a few minor things need to be replaced. Sorry to say but you are a blind to the obvious! It is the same situation here as in the US.

Further about all carbs made by Walbro come from China, so you probably are not happy about a lot of saws. About all replacement rubber parts for saws probably comes from China, so you probably aren't happy with most replacement parts for your saws. The electric of most cars today comes from China, so you probably aren't happy with most cars. Most of the consumer electronics comes from China, so you probably aren't happy with most consumer electronics..... etc. etc.

Welcome to the real world!

The Cannon Superminis looks like very nice bars, but there are of course disadvantages with small diameter noses in some situations, specially with 3/8", where they only are nine-teeth.

Then there are the often non-standard dl counts, that can go both ways, depending on the application and your chain supplier....

Look, I don't want to jack a thread about what turns out to be a very thoughtful present for a guy's dad.

However, I am very aquainted with what you call the "real" world, and you're right I am very unhappy with all the garbage (everywhere) being imported from China. We are being sold down the river my a bunch of people that haven't got the balls to push on the brake pedal. What's worse is that our soldiers are, no doubt, being asked to wage war with the very same junk that has permiated our consumer market. If it works like a Zama, I think we'll have our collective ass's kicked, and to some extent it will be our own fault.

I hope my son buys me a saw for Christmas!

The Cannon Superminis looks like very nice bars, but there are of course disadvantages with small diameter noses in some situations, specially with 3/8", where they only are nine-teeth. Then there are the often non-standard dl counts...
Sawtroll is the supermini on my 262 considered small diameter? Doesnt look small compared to Cannons carving bars ?

That's OK, no reason to hold back! Very similar situation across the pond. We probably have the same segment of population here that has higher expectations, but what does a original 260 top end cost in the US? And even here on AS, in an environment of addicts, who has ever bought a brand new original top end from a dealer for a well used saw? Never heard of it! There are a ton of threads about aftermarket but never of OEM! Who in his right mind would buy, just a guess, for 200$ a new top end for a 260, let's not forget new bearings, seals, etc. for some cash more, have a dealer install it all and in the end have a bill of a few hundred dollars, if he can get a brand new f.e. echo 590 for 400$ incl. 5 years warenty, or Dolmar 5105, Husqvarna 545 for ~500$, that will put any standard 260 to shame?!?!
Why is it possible in the US to go to dealers and get pickup loads full of outdated saws? Where often only a few minor things need to be replaced. Sorry to say but you are a blind to the obvious! It is the same situation here as in the US.

Further about all carbs made by Walbro come from China, so you probably are not happy about a lot of saws. About all replacement rubber parts for saws probably comes from China, so you probably aren't happy with most replacement parts for your saws. The electric of most cars today comes from China, so you probably aren't happy with most cars. Most of the consumer electronics comes from China, so you probably aren't happy with most consumer electronics..... etc. etc.

Welcome to the real world!

In 20 years It will be a classic, Just like the saws I currently use and dump money into, So if it is in one piece It will get rebuilt.

The new saws are not getting any cheaper, Or more simple to work on. Their is only so far technology can go before it overwhelms the consumer. 20 years ago everybody could work on a new car in the garage with minimal tools. Take a new car today and see where that gets you.

With all of the epa stuff how much further can a 2 stroke really go?

These pro grade stihl and husky saws in my opinion are like a 350 chevy. People are never going to stop building/ fixing them.

I am just talking the average person here, Not somebody who relies on a saw everyday.

Just my opinion,

With all of the epa stuff how much further can a 2 stroke really go?

These pro grade stihl and husky saws in my opinion are like a 350 chevy. People are never going to stop building/ fixing them.

I am just talking the average person here, Not somebody who relies on a saw everyday.

Just my opinion,

With direct injection, some of the newer 2-strokes are running amazingly clean. We may see 2 stroke bikes back in the streets.

Well on a lighter note I almost ended up with this saw today.

My dad and I went to the farm store who recently started carrying husky xp saws. Dad was in a Buying mood. The store had three new 372's on the shelf, We were looking at them, then one shelf up they had 2 new 550 xp, he picked it up and said it looks nice.

I had to come up with a quick excuse, I told him they have had a few issues and it would not be a good saw to purchase from a non service dealer. He promptly set the saw down and walked away.

They wanted 620$ for a 550

What is the going rate on a 372? They had $879?

Latest posts

Back