MS 241?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the work you're doing mate regarding the 241 vs. muffler modded 550XP. I own and run both.
Everybody here seems to be talking "cut times" when we should be talking efficiency - dropping saws into cants is good fun but it doesn't give an indication of fuel economy, filtration, throttle response, how good the spikes are at biting in from different angles etc etc. There are so many variables here that it's a pretty hard call to even comment on what is a better saw. The 550XP is an absolute weapon but I find myself reaching for the 241 more and more. If all I was doing was cutting 12-16" wood all day the 550XP would be perfect. When doing domestic type jobs however with a variety of wood sizes the 241 is a great saw.
With arms outstretched all day limbing the 550/261 will definitely tax the arms more than a 241. Just remember that the average AS member is nowhere near a full time saw operator and "saw fitness" is not something that comes naturally (just like forearm pump in dirt bikes). That little bit of extra weight will certainly be noticable by somebody who doesn't use saws much.
Excellent explanation

I know I took my 441c back after 2 months and got full credit to my 461r but my dealer made that happen because of problems with the 441c

It depends on the work you're doing mate regarding the 241 vs. muffler modded 550XP. I own and run both.
Everybody here seems to be talking "cut times" when we should be talking efficiency - dropping saws into cants is good fun but it doesn't give an indication of fuel economy, filtration, throttle response, how good the spikes are at biting in from different angles etc etc. There are so many variables here that it's a pretty hard call to even comment on what is a better saw. The 550XP is an absolute weapon but I find myself reaching for the 241 more and more. If all I was doing was cutting 12-16" wood all day the 550XP would be perfect. When doing domestic type jobs however with a variety of wood sizes the 241 is a great saw.
With arms outstretched all day limbing the 550/261 will definitely tax the arms more than a 241. Just remember that the average AS member is nowhere near a full time saw operator and "saw fitness" is not something that comes naturally (just like forearm pump in dirt bikes). That little bit of extra weight will certainly be noticable by somebody who doesn't use saws much.

You hit the nail on the head here.
Thank you.

I've heard that if you buy a STIHL saw and you don't like it, the dealer will take it back and give you credit on a different saw?

Myself, I don't buy it. But......I keep hearing it.
Yep. Seven day satisfaction guarantee. Even if you use it, it can be returned. As a dealer I am covered by Stihl on this.

Im interested after u get it to hear u and ur dads opinion. Just be sure to muffler mod it

I will give some feed back after he gets it. Sorry no muffler mod on this one. He is not a believer in that sort of stuff.

That is what made this kind of difficult, with everybody comparing modded saws of different flavors. When this is staying stock.

I do enjoy hearing all the potential left on the table from most new saws.

Thank you all for the input and
Merry Christmas

No cost to you. It's directly from my Stihl dealer handbook. I've use it a couple times this year and I've been compensated for my trouble. I am not under the impression that it is a Stihl Northwest only type of deal, I think it's nationwide.

No cost to you. It's directly from my Stihl dealer handbook. I've use it a couple times this year and I've been compensated for my trouble. I am not under the impression that it is a Stihl Northwest only type of deal, I think it's nationwide.
I'm going to ask my guy about that thanks.

Back