MS 241?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removing the baffle makes the biggest difference. Both in hp and dB.

158364757.gbjFojnk.jpg
Is that the same as my non M tronic?

So am I seeing that you cut the inner baffle out then opened up the muffler outside also?

Yes. It requires a dremel with very long bits to do it with, though. Otherwise you need to uncrimp it. I use a set I got on Ebay from China when I need long bits. I thnk it is a 10 piece dremel carbide bit set. They are fairly long lasting, too.

You guys always make me laugh. How many saws do you carry into the woods???? I cut the tree down with my 70cc saw then set that down. I go fire up my 40cc saw and limb up to 6 inch stuff. Then I fire up my 50cc saw finish limbing the tree. Then I block up to 10 inch...... now I fire up my 60cc saw and block up to 16.78 inches..... now I pull out my 70cc and finish blocking..... trust me this is the fastest way. Lol.

I fire up the trusty 440/460 hybrid 28 inch bar 7 pin. I cut the tree limb it out and block it up...... With one saw..... crazy I know.

You guys always make me laugh. How many saws do you carry into the woods???? I cut the tree down with my 70cc saw then set that down. I go fire up my 40cc saw and limb up to 6 inch stuff. Then I fire up my 50cc saw finish limbing the tree. Then I block up to 10 inch...... now I fire up my 60cc saw and block up to 16.78 inches..... now I pull out my 70cc and finish blocking..... trust me this is the fastest way. Lol.

I fire up the trusty 440/460 hybrid 28 inch bar 7 pin. I cut the tree limb it out and block it up...... With one saw..... crazy I know.

I feel silly swinging at Rhododendron with my ported 044. Yes, it is crazy.

IMG_0170-2.JPG At least 7 at times more.

I dunno. I think I would rather have an MM'd 550 over a 241. Yes, the 241 is handy, but then again, I work in forestry and firewood. In that respect, the 241 is mainly a limbing machine. Rhododendron, ivy(some as thick as your leg here). But a 550 can do all that and more, and not tax your back much, especially since you get more reach with more bar.

It depends on the work you're doing mate regarding the 241 vs. muffler modded 550XP. I own and run both.
Everybody here seems to be talking "cut times" when we should be talking efficiency - dropping saws into cants is good fun but it doesn't give an indication of fuel economy, filtration, throttle response, how good the spikes are at biting in from different angles etc etc. There are so many variables here that it's a pretty hard call to even comment on what is a better saw. The 550XP is an absolute weapon but I find myself reaching for the 241 more and more. If all I was doing was cutting 12-16" wood all day the 550XP would be perfect. When doing domestic type jobs however with a variety of wood sizes the 241 is a great saw.
With arms outstretched all day limbing the 550/261 will definitely tax the arms more than a 241. Just remember that the average AS member is nowhere near a full time saw operator and "saw fitness" is not something that comes naturally (just like forearm pump in dirt bikes). That little bit of extra weight will certainly be noticable by somebody who doesn't use saws much.

It depends on the work you're doing mate regarding the 241 vs. muffler modded 550XP. I own and run both.
Everybody here seems to be talking "cut times" when we should be talking efficiency - dropping saws into cants is good fun but it doesn't give an indication of fuel economy, filtration, throttle response, how good the spikes are at biting in from different angles etc etc. There are so many variables here that it's a pretty hard call to even comment on what is a better saw. The 550XP is an absolute weapon but I find myself reaching for the 241 more and more. If all I was doing was cutting 12-16" wood all day the 550XP would be perfect. When doing domestic type jobs however with a variety of wood sizes the 241 is a great saw.
With arms outstretched all day limbing the 550/261 will definitely tax the arms more than a 241. Just remember that the average AS member is nowhere near a full time saw operator and "saw fitness" is not something that comes naturally (just like forearm pump in dirt bikes). That little bit of extra weight will certainly be noticable by somebody who doesn't use saws much.

You trying to tell us all your 'forearm pump' is from dirt bikes?

Back