Ms-270 vs Ms-290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmalvern

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good mid range firewood saw, and have pretty much narrowed the choices down to a 270 or a 290. Thinking either a 18 or 20 inch bar. This will be my first new saw, so I want to make the right choice and keep it for many years. I will be mostly cutting 12" or so pine and poplar and cherry- but some larger stuff. The biggest will be about 24", but that will be rare. Your thoughts on pros and cons of each, and which bar and chains to run- also, if I get the 270 there is an option for a toolless chain tensioner, is it worth the extra money?
How important are the extra 6 cc's of the 290?

I do have a homelite 550 for the really big stuff.

I think I would lean more to the MS270 18". It has good power and is lighter than the MS290. On the QCA cover for the MS270, I like that option and would probally get it if I had that saw. I have not seen any problems with it. The other side of the story is the regular cover works great but you have to keep up with the scrench.

Ive never owned a 270,but I have owned 2 280s.For an extra $45,buy the 280.More power than the 270 and faster chain speed than the 290.Less weight than the 290 to.As far as the quick chain adjuster goes,it does ok.I pinched my 361 with the QCA and couldnt get the bar and chain off because I couldnt budge the adjuster wheel.But with the tool less fuel and oil caps,and the QCA,it is kinda nice not havin to carry a wrench around.My only fault with the 280 was the AV system was kinda soft and spongy ,but does a good job.Anyhow,a new plain jane 280 can be bought here for $409,a real solid saw for the money

The MS 280 is also a newer saw as far as design and development goes. The current production 280 has an electronic carb, called IEM and it works well and is holding up fine. Automatically tunes the carb at WOT for altitude, dirty filter, load, and more importantly fuel quality. With varying amounts of alcohol in the fuel, this system automatically tunes the engine for best running and won't allow it to lean out at full throttle. I have one and it cuts great.

I am an impartial MS270 owner, it has worked its guts out over the last year, very good little saw and has paid for itself darned quickly. Though the 290 is well regarded too, I'd rather have what I do, good AV, power, and economy. there are at least three 270 threads (one is mine, Ms270 does its duties) so go look what people have to say, please don't leave un-informed :D
(stay away from the C-CS models with quick side tensioners, my opinion.)
Good luck with the new saw whatever you choose, keep us curious ones posted on your take too!

:cheers:

Serge

Get the 270, it will out cut the 290. I have two of them and they are a great saw.

Get either the 280 or 270... We've finally dropped the 290 in favor of the 270 . If the customer wants more grunt, the 310 is available..

The MS 280 is also a newer saw as far as design and development goes. The current production 280 has an electronic carb, called IEM and it works well and is holding up fine. Automatically tunes the carb at WOT for altitude, dirty filter, load, and more importantly fuel quality. With varying amounts of alcohol in the fuel, this system automatically tunes the engine for best running and won't allow it to lean out at full throttle. I have one and it cuts great.

Andy will this IEM carb be the trend on new Stihl saws in the future?

I would buy the ms310, It is a good strong saw for a homeowner that gets the job done. If you are going to cut 12'' wood or more you will appreciate the extra grunt that the ms310 has. Spend $400 and go with the ms310!!!

Happy with my 270

I haven't run the 280....

But I have run a 290, and I own a 270. I would go with the 270 hands down over the 290. Lighter, the ergonomics are better, and in my opinion more responsive dispite the 6cc's.

My wife got me the 270 for christmas and at first I was dissapointed, thinking she could have got the 290 (more cc's)...... My buddy from work has a newish 290 and we cut a few cord together over a weekend a while ago. After switching off and trying both (with new chains) I'm glad she went with the 270. Its a better saw.

Now I just need to get my hands on a 70 - 80 cc saw....

Andy will this IEM carb be the trend on new Stihl saws in the future?

I hope so! less carb fiddling the better! A handfull of AS guys will either get over it.. or stay locked firmly and happily in the past.:popcorn: :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Ive never owned a 270,but I have owned 2 280s.For an extra $45,buy the 280.More power than the 270 and faster chain speed than the 290.Less weight than the 290 to.As far as the quick chain adjuster goes,it does ok.I pinched my 361 with the QCA and couldnt get the bar and chain off because I couldnt budge the adjuster wheel.But with the tool less fuel and oil caps,and the QCA,it is kinda nice not havin to carry a wrench around.My only fault with the 280 was the AV system was kinda soft and spongy ,but does a good job.Anyhow,a new plain jane 280 can be bought here for $409,a real solid saw for the money

I agree on the 280, but not on the QCA - avoid. :)

But you should consider the Dolmar 5100S in that price range........:clap: :clap:

I haven't run the 280....

But I have run a 290, and I own a 270. I would go with the 270 hands down over the 290. Lighter, the ergonomics are better, and in my opinion more responsive dispite the 6cc's.

My wife got me the 270 for christmas and at first I was dissapointed, thinking she could have got the 290 (more cc's)...... My buddy from work has a newish 290 and we cut a few cord together over a weekend a while ago. After switching off and trying both (with new chains) I'm glad she went with the 270. Its a better saw.

Now I just need to get my hands on a 70 - 80 cc saw....

Sounds like she has been on the AS, asking what to get you!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I recently purchased a MS270 myself and have perhaps 12 tanks of fuel or more through it all troluble free. The QC-A is trouble free and why folks do not like it or have negative things to say about it is beyond me. It works and works very well. Stihl from what I hear is going to be installing it on their bigger saws as well in the future.

I played with the 260, 270, 280, and 290 and for the $$ the 270 was the better buy. The 280 is much more money and for a lousy .2, thats decimal point 2, hp difference its simply not worth the $$. I also am not crazy over the electronic adj carb. It may work fine and be good, but I like something I can adjust or work on if the need arises in the woods.........As for higher rpms, well the 280 supposedly has that, but higher rpms means faster wear too, and it relies on speed tocut not torque. I prefer a slower rpm over higher and the ability to save some $$ in the process and the 270 fit that bill. Its got a good AV system as well. Fo the differences in thre 270/280, the price difference is just not worth it, and between the 270 / 290, the 270 just works so much better and feels so much better overall than ther 290 does. Of course these are just my own observations.

There really has to be a reason most shops carry the 270 and fewer shops carry the 280's, and around these parts the 270s are being stocked over the 290's.......

270 or 290

I was in the same position as you 4 or 5 years ago. I wanted the 270 Woodboss and when I showed up at the dealer ship they pushed to sell me the 290 Farmboss. I personally think you will get along just fine with either one. If you have watched ArboristSite at all you would know that the 290 has a bad rep.

I bought the 290 because I would rather have just a little more power. I mainly cut hardwood osage orange, ash, oak, locust, hickory, peacan....
I'm glad I went with the bigger saw. If I could go back and do it all over again I would get even a bigger saw. When you sink the 18 inch bar dawg deep into hard wood with an RS loop you will be glad for any additional hp you can get.

When it gets in your blood you will always want more. I can tell it won't be long and I will have a 361 or 390. I would love to squeeze the trigger on one of these, breath in the smell of 2 stroke and let the saw dust fly.

Good Luck with your saw purchase.

Back