Ms-270 vs Ms-290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't speak to the 290, but I have a new 270 and it is fantastic. I have cut some 14" red oak and heart pine with it, and it blasts right through. I have some RSC and RMC chain - haven't tried the RMC yet.

The quick-chain adjust looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It replaces one easy to use tool with a complicated part that just seems like a bad idea. I think removing the bar cover periodically to flip the bar and clean things up is mandatory, and the QCA seems to discourage this as well.

- Jason

Get the 280!!!! Faster than a 290 and lighter. My modded 280 is pushin' prolly 4hp now.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I have to agree with the post that the QCA is the answer to a problem that dont exist.I can tighten a chain just about as fast with a wrench as I can with QCA on my 361.It also is kinda cheesy lookin,and probably not worth the extra money it cost.Honestly I dont know anybody that has had any problems with the QCA tho.Those tool less gas and oil caps to me are the greatest thing since beer,I love those things.My 280s both had 8 tooth sprockets,I was told the 270 has a 7 tooth.Thats where the extra speed of the 280 came in.Sprockets are easily changed.Anyway,you cant go wrong with the Stihl 260 270 or 280.But just to be spiteful, I suggest you get the 361

Have a 280 with QCA and have used it for nearly two seasons. Really like it. Cut spruce and birch for firewood and often work in cold and snow so tool less everything is nice, especially fuel and oil caps. Goes fine thru everything that I cut and is really smooth. Use a 20" bar and RMC2 (?) chain.

The quick-chain adjust looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It replaces one easy to use tool with a complicated part that just seems like a bad idea. I think removing the bar cover periodically to flip the bar and clean things up is mandatory, and the QCA seems to discourage this as well.

- Jason

Exactly!

My 270 works fine after a bad coil was warranteed and a fuel line replaced.

I also like the Mattel QCA. I haven't had any problems with it. I change chains quite often, and flip bars.

Lakeside53; check your phone message, you'll have my number. Check your mail, my address is on the 2nd day envelope I called about Wednesday.
I'll try to get to a real compter tonight and send you an email.
Also just sent a PM.
Sorry
Rob

here you go...

Here are some pics of my 280's modded muffler...........:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I was looking at the 270 and 290 last October. I went with the 270 and have been very happy so far. It was balanced much better than the 290, "feels" much better. Look at them side by side, flip them over, etc. The 270 is just put together better. I've cleared a bunch of trails and about 10 face cords with it so far. You can run it all day and it doesn't tire you out. It must have something to do with the antivibe. I ran my dad's Husky 55 a solid day straight right before I got mine and I was dead tired, but with the 270 I wasn't - even though both saws weigh the same....

Ended up with an 028 av super wood boss and a 009

Well, I didn't make it to the dealer on Saturday like I planned, and Sunday morning I found an 028 av super wood boss for $50 and a 009 for $75. Both just serviced by local stihl dealer, with new chains. Also a new bar on the 009. They both start with 2 pulls and run great. Now for a big saw.......

Help with my MS 290

Ok, so this seems to be the place to ask my question:
I bought an MS 290 a couple of years ago, before I even owned a house. But now we have our first house and I am trying to cut a LOT of firewood as the wife can burn through a cord of wood in 12 days...
Well anyhow, the saw just ain't cutting it, pardon the pun. Is there anyway to milk a little more power out of it? Are there any bar/chain combinations that would make better use of the saw's power? And unfortunately, going out and getting a 361 is out of the question at the moment...:chainsaw:

On a serious note, sounds like you need to start a new thread.

Back