Ms-270c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the "C" model, with the tooless chain adjuster, is the bar cover plastic or metal?

The 270 and 280 are glorified clam-shell saws. They have a one piece magnesium crankcase. It is split horizontally along the centerline of the crankshaft. The cylinder includes the top half, like all home owner saws, and bolts onto the bottom half. The vertical split you see on the front of the saw is the fan housing/oil tank. That vertical split does not continue into the crankcase. They are a well built saw, but are not a pro saw.

The 270 and 280 are glorified clam-shell saws. They have a one piece magnesium crankcase. It is split horizontally along the centerline of the crankshaft. The cylinder includes the top half, like all home owner saws, and bolts onto the bottom half. The vertical split you see on the front of the saw is the fan housing/oil tank. That vertical split does not continue into the crankcase. They are a well built saw, but are not a pro saw.

Thank-you for explaining that so well. They are nice little saws.

Many old Homelites and McCullochs are designed similar to (but not exactly like) the 270/280. I doubt than anyone could argue that a McCulloch Super 250, 797, or SP125 isn't a pro saw...:D

Let me clarify my comment. From the perspective of the weekend user the 261 and 280 are nearly the same thing due to their similar size, weight, power and antivibe.

Yes the 261 is the superior saw, having pro saw construction.

Let me clarify my comment. From the perspective of the weekend user the 261 and 280 are nearly the same thing due to their similar size, weight, power and antivibe.

Yes the 261 is the superior saw, having pro saw construction.

The power specs are the same, outside the USA.

Back