MS 441....Are they panning out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJuday

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am hoping to get some cash around this year to buy a new saw to fill the gap between the 260 and the 084. You can see the obvious problem there, as in almost 20lbs. difference.
Anyway, I am wondering if the 441 is all that the literature is says it is. How does it stack up against the 460 with same b&c combo in the same wood? Is it really more fuel effeceint than the 460? I was told by the Stihl dealer in Kendallville IN that he could get the price difference to 60$ over the cost of the 441. If he is not yanking my chain then I'd get the 460. He also mentioned that he had heard that the air cleaner cover clips have a tendency to come unsnapped or break off. Any truth to this? Thanks in advance, JJ

I am hoping to get some cash around this year to buy a new saw to fill the gap between the 260 and the 084. You can see the obvious problem there, as in almost 20lbs. difference.
Anyway, I am wondering if the 441 is all that the literature is says it is. How does it stack up against the 460 with same b&c combo in the same wood? Is it really more fuel effeceint than the 460? I was told by the Stihl dealer in Kendallville IN that he could get the price difference to 60$ over the cost of the 441. If he is not yanking my chain then I'd get the 460. He also mentioned that he had heard that the air cleaner cover clips have a tendency to come unsnapped or break off. Any truth to this? Thanks in advance, JJ

We have 20+ out in the field with customers. I've yet to have one complaint or one issue. Yes the fuel savings is noticeable as is the reduction in vibration.

With that said, for $60 I'd have a tough time not going with the 460.

441 is a great saw. It is a DIFFERENT saw than the 460 so it really can't be compared. Given the option to purchase one or the other with a $60.00 price difference I would probably still go with the 441. To fill the gap between your 260 and 084 you really need 2 saws, the 441 steps up to 20"-24" bar, then a 660 set up with a 28"-32" bar and the 084 for everything else. have fun.

We haven't had any issue with the 441's we've sold. The 441 feels more like a Husky than a Stihl, in that it's very well dampend and won't tear your body up by running it. The 460 feels like a lighter more nimble 660. Comes down to this if you want a saw to mod and tinker with get a 460, if you want something you can run stock get a 441.

The vibes and air filter are night and day between the 441 and 460 but I love running both, just depends on what ya like. Hard to say which one I would keep if I had to sell one. With a 32" b&c, the 460 will have a little more power but not by much.

-->HERE'S<-- the difference on video, same bar and chain swapped between both saws.

I prefer the 460 myself as it has a little more grunt but the 441 is no slouch either and with better AV, air filtration, and fuel consumption (if that kinda thing is important to you :D).

Long term reliability remains to be seen but so far they seem to be holding up just fine. :cheers:

I'd like to see a "shoot-out" between the MS441 and the 576xp - but I am pretty sure the Husky would win.....:greenchainsaw::givebeer:

I have never run a 460, but I like my 441 very much.
I can cut a lot of wood on one tank of gas.
I couldn't be happier with it, I am glad I chose this saw.

I can't compare my 441 as it is only the second saw I've owned. With my 20" bar it cuts with plenty of power and I don't notice any vibration. The best feature in my mind is the air filtration system. I cut Osage Orange (hedge apple) which even with a really sharp chain creates a lot of dust. At the end of the day the 441 wrap-around first level filter has hardly any dust on it. I would buy it again.

That is a feature "borrowed" from Husky, as is the AV system......:givebeer:

You mean "borrowed" like how everyone else in the modern world had "borrowed" the assembly line from Henry Ford? I'm sure Husqvarna has had their fare share of "borrowed" technology from their competitors. Just like the Stratocharge design was "borrowed" by all that use it from Komatsu-zenoah/Redmax.

I understand what you mean, don't get me wrong......But really If the 441 was a carbon copy of a Husky....kinda like how Stallin had Tupelev build a Russian long range bomber in the 50's that was nut to bolt a carbon copy of the B-29 Strato Fortress, then I could find no fault with that comment. Not picking on you at all, just noting that Stihl won't sit still in this market no matter who created the technology. Thanks for all the replies. JJ

You mean "borrowed" like how everyone else in the modern world had "borrowed" the assembly line from Henry Ford? I'm sure Husqvarna has had their fare share of "borrowed" technology from their competitors. Just like the Stratocharge design was "borrowed" by all that use it from Komatsu-zenoah/Redmax.

I understand what you mean, don't get me wrong......But really If the 441 was a carbon copy of a Husky....kinda like how Stallin had Tupelev build a Russian long range bomber in the 50's that was nut to bolt a carbon copy of the B-29 Strato Fortress, then I could find no fault with that comment. Not picking on you at all, just noting that Stihl won't sit still in this market no matter who created the technology. Thanks for all the replies. JJ

Sorry but the Air filtration in the 441 is an exact copy of Husky's setup. It's a fact that Stihl had to wait until Husky's patent rights ended before they could sell a saw with air injection. The spring AV is a different story, as many other manufactures have been using AV springs for decades.

Latest posts

Back