MS 441....Are they panning out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Seems quite odd that JD would discontinue such a marvel of modern engineering. I happen to think that any tractor that you can start with out having to spin a flywheel has got to be a substantial improvement! I've crank started a WD and it's as easy as falling off a log! I might mention that other tractors of that time were so much smoother and quieter.
I still think the old 2 bangers were antiques at production though! JJ

I though I was the only one who (still) had a WD! Funny thing I bought a newer 4x4 compact for the bride to rake and ted hay....she hated it! The old WD with it foot long travel spring seet made for a better ride over the hay field's, she won't even consider the Massey 1433 for that work...but uses it to throw Round bales at the live stock....just goes to show not all advances are relevant for a tool on specific jobs.

I'm a Husky / Jonsered guy but appreciate all well designed saws of which the 441 & 460 are. I loved both 441's I've run. I've also run 044's, a friends 064 and a 460. All awesome machines. I would pick a 441 over all of them. Why? As I get older & the hands more sensitive because of Mr. Arther a saw like the 441 will extend my work day as it is smooth, fast and just doesn't beat me. A younger version of me? Probably a raw 064/066/660. This from a guy who had fun building over 23,000ft of fence line mostly with posts ripped with a S-XL925 because it was fun running the old iron...what difference a few years can make. Maybe that's partly why the hands and neck are where they are! I understand those who aren't interested in changing because of the momentum from the past...that is why Stihl came out with another iteration of the 440! And still sells the 460. Why Husky had a few blasts of the 372..on the subject of a "fleet of saw", I have to wonder if the fuel saving, the less time required to deal with filtration issues, along with the cost of health insurance over a long period of time because of the less vibration needs to be a part of the conversation. Something any business with health insurance for their long term and retired employees needs to consider as that health insurance experience based on their employee's can be an amazing cost driver in the discussion. Can't think of too many more expensive operations than neck surgery for degenerated discs..carpel tunnel is cheap I guess as compared..but as compared to the cost difference in saws? How about down time if you have your own business coupled with medical costs? Any rational business owner should take a gander at this concept....441 and the "anti vibration" potential impact on extending a career and ultimately the cost of life. Not something a young buck or a typical tech type will think about, but something a business owner needs to. 441 Stihl, an Awesome saw.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back