ms 462 vs 500i vs 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I burry the 500i with a 36” cutting 4 to 5 footers, there’s no stopping it…I leave the boat anchors in the barn now…lol
Well, a 5.2kw 92cc chainsaw is not going to do that any less than a 5.0kw 79cc. Especially above 28" of wood.

Well, a 5.2kw 92cc chainsaw is not going to do that any less than a 5.0kw 79cc. Especially above 28" of wood.
True but the 500i does it with 2+ less pounds….if I need more than a 36” bar I’ll grab a boat anchor and lug it with me….

I mostly run a 32" lighweight on the 500i...it does just fine on the softwoods around here. It even works pretty well on the oaks, as long as I don't lean on it too hard. If I really need it, I've got an 066 that I run either a 36" lightweight or a 42". The 066 does feel signifigantly stronger than the 500i, but I've ported the 066, custom exhaust, max flow, etc...while the 500i is bone stock other than exhaust.

At my real job, I run a 462 with a 28" lightweight. I went with the 462, as I need multi purpose saw. Sometimes cutting brush, sometimes falling weakened hazard trees. That saw and bar combo(or a 400/28") is the most versatile set up IMO.

You need a 462 to cut "brush"?
I do that with a weed cutter...

What we call brush, other places might call a small tree. Maybe large shrubs is a better description, sometimes the bases are 6" in diameter. The trees are a lot bigger...not uncommon to have cut around from your offside even with the 28". Those trees are often burned, rotten, etc and I don't want to be hanging around the stump for long while I whittle at it with an undersized saw.

Where I use the 462, I don't really have the option to bring multiple saws. There's hiking involved and it's gotta be one saw/bar combo that does everything. With my own personal saws, I have one for every possible occasion and even have some redundancy...ranging from a 2511t to my 880.

Latest posts

Back