MS241 needs a big brother

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwroller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I have searched and read a ton but need some help deciding on a 60cc or 70cc saw. I am a homeowner and have only been cutting for about 3 years. I only use my saw about 10-15 times a year to fall and limb some smaller <20" trees, and buck up larger trees for firewood (largest is about 36") hence the need for a bigger saw. I have a bad back so light weight is very important, though perhaps a longer bar would help so I don't have to bend over so much (I'm 6'3"). The MS241 has a 16" bar that is buried often and wish it had more power, but has been very good to me.

I'm thinking a 24" would be a perfect companion but could be talked into 28". I know this is "70cc territory" but if I can get a lighter 60cc that runs a 24" well that sounds more appealing. Trees I cut are Cedar, Fir, Hemlock, Maple, Pine, Cottonwood.

Partial to Stihl as that is what I have now, but would consider a Husky as well (my dealer sells both). Looking for new. Stihl also seems to have the better power/weight ratio. If the 462 was available I'd probably buy it, but it's not and so maybe buying a lighter saw would be better.

Thank you in advance!

If you have back issues I can tell you, a lightweight 32" bar is the ticket. With that setup you can stay almost completely upright while limbimg and even when you buck medium sized logs. The weight of the saw will be more on your hips than you back with this setup. You're cuttin mostly softer species, so you can get away with a good 70cc saw. IMHO the best saw in this class overall, is still the old reliable Dolmar/Makita 7900/7910. The 64cc variant can often be found lightly used at local Home Depot rental department for around $330 the 64cc version will run a 32" alright, but upgrading to the 79cc top end is pretty inexpensive and super easy to do.

If you want to stick with Stihl the 441 and 461 are both solid. The 441 is more modern with spring AV, air injection, Mtronic and a Strato engine. The 461 weighs the same as the 441, but has a little more power. However it's a bit of an old-school design with rubber AV mounts, basic air filter setup and no Mtronic option.

If you want to go to the dark side, I like the 390xp. Gobs of power with a 32" B&C but it is a larger saw. I like the 372xp as well, but for the size and weight the 7900 is just a better saw in every conceivable way IMHO[emoji4].

Stihl says a MS362 can take up to a 24" (Stihl 25") bar. But the oiler is not sufficient in my opinion. It'll run it but I'd like more oil. Now that I got a 460 I use an 18" on the 362. I think 20" would be perfect for a 362. That'll get you through a 36" tree if you can get on both sides of it. If you don't have many that big it'd be enough and would be lighter and easier to handle than a 461. The 460 (basically the same as a 461 except for strato) is significantly heavier than the 362 and the AV being an older design is not as good.

Do you guys find the 6421 well balanced?

Trying to decide the same thing. Looking at used or refurbish a parts saw.

Geezus, a 32" guys ?! Hes a homeowner and the 241 sounds like it's all but enough. He needs a MS362 or a 562XP and a 24" bar. Those will more than suit his needs, from what I gather from his post. Not to mention its 2 lbs less than the 70cc saws.

Did you read WHY he wants a longer bar? For bucking big wood, a 24" bar is fine, but if you're trying to save your back, I think it's about the worst bar out there. Powerhead weight is one thing, but the weight at the end of the bar is what I feel the most. I'll take a 28" bar any day over a 24" because it actually reaches the ground allowing me to keep my back straight. A 24" is heavy AND requires stooping.

A 28-32" bar is much more comfortable to use. Spring the extra bucks for a reduced weight bar (Stihl ES light are the lightest, Tsumura and Sugiharas are heavier but still lighter than a regular RSN bar) and you've got a sweet setup. Obviously the shorter the better for weight, but you don't want the tip too close to your toes. I'd love to have a 30" bar, but they're not too common. My 28" on a Dolmar 7900 is a great combo. The 7900 is a sweet saw. Throw a 20" bar on it for firewood and it's a great compliment to a little saw like the 241. Toss on a 28" and it's ready to head to the woods.

Geezus, a 32" guys ?! Hes a homeowner and the 241 sounds like it's all but enough. He needs a MS362 or a 562XP and a 24" bar. Those will more than suit his needs, from what I gather from his post. Not to mention its 2 lbs less than the 70cc saws.
I agree he doesn't really need a saw with a 32" bar, but I was considering his back issues, a longer bar will save your back.

Stihl says a MS362 can take up to a 24" (Stihl 25") bar. But the oiler is not sufficient in my opinion. It'll run it but I'd like more oil. Now that I got a 460 I use an 18" on the 362. I think 20" would be perfect for a 362. That'll get you through a 36" tree if you can get on both sides of it. If you don't have many that big it'd be enough and would be lighter and easier to handle than a 461. The 460 (basically the same as a 461 except for strato) is significantly heavier than the 362 and the AV being an older design is not as good.
The 461 does not have a Strato engine just for clarification.[emoji111]

Did you read WHY he wants a longer bar? For bucking big wood, a 24" bar is fine, but if you're trying to save your back, I think it's about the worst bar out there. Powerhead weight is one thing, but the weight at the end of the bar is what I feel the most. I'll take a 28" bar any day over a 24" because it actually reaches the ground allowing me to keep my back straight. A 24" is heavy AND requires stooping.

A 28-32" bar is much more comfortable to use. Spring the extra bucks for a reduced weight bar (Stihl ES light are the lightest, Tsumura and Sugiharas are heavier but still lighter than a regular RSN bar) and you've got a sweet setup. Obviously the shorter the better for weight, but you don't want the tip too close to your toes. I'd love to have a 30" bar, but they're not too common. My 28" on a Dolmar 7900 is a great combo. The 7900 is a sweet saw. Throw a 20" bar on it for firewood and it's a great compliment to a little saw like the 241. Toss on a 28" and it's ready to head to the woods.
Spot on brother.[emoji111]

THANK YOU all very much. This is great info and gives me a lot to do some research on. Being a novice the idea of a 32" bar is intimidating, but something I am sure I would get used to after a few tanks if I went that way - though a 28" sounds more appealing. I had not considered the Makita/Dolmar but looks like they have a solid following. I don't have much dealer support for those near me, but I am going to look into them.

RE bar length... Is a longer 28/32 a lot more comfortable than the 20/24? I am not opposed to having two bars but I would most likely use one bar 95% of the time as switching saws seems easier than a bar while in the middle of working. Any bar 28"+ would be a light bar, but would a smaller 20/24 bar benefit from being a light as well? Would I love the MS241 even more if it had a 16 light?

It seems most folks like the 70cc+ saws for what I'm looking at vs the lighter 60cc. Am I making too big of deal about weight (2.5lb diff)? I have a 10lb saw now so increasing that by almost 50% seemed like a lot, but I don't want to have to buy a third saw because my second one didn't have enough grunt.

As far as the 241, I have a 18" on mine and it balances perfect at the handle bar. I handle one with a 14" on it and I just didnt like it.

I have bars in all the lengths you're considering, over the years this is what I've found. 20" 24" bars on 70+cc saws will wear you out buckin' and limbing firewood. felling trees with a shorter bar is a different story, you're performing a completely different task. Between 32" and 28" bar I have come to prefer 32" the 28" bars aren't bad, but I'm only 6' if I were any taller I'd definitely recommend a 32" bar to save the old back.

I run light 18" bars on my 50cc saws, as 20" is too short to keep you upright, yet they ad quite a bit of weight and kill the balance of the saw.

Remember this is just my opinion and what I like.

THANK YOU all very much. This is great info and gives me a lot to do some research on. Being a novice the idea of a 32" bar is intimidating, but something I am sure I would get used to after a few tanks if I went that way - though a 28" sounds more appealing. I had not considered the Makita/Dolmar but looks like they have a solid following. I don't have much dealer support for those near me, but I am going to look into them.

RE bar length... Is a longer 28/32 a lot more comfortable than the 20/24? I am not opposed to having two bars but I would most likely use one bar 95% of the time as switching saws seems easier than a bar while in the middle of working. Any bar 28"+ would be a light bar, but would a smaller 20/24 bar benefit from being a light as well? Would I love the MS241 even more if it had a 16 light?

It seems most folks like the 70cc+ saws for what I'm looking at vs the lighter 60cc. Am I making too big of deal about weight (2.5lb diff)? I have a 10lb saw now so increasing that by almost 50% seemed like a lot, but I don't want to have to buy a third saw because my second one didn't have enough grunt.

I would rather put up with the weight of a 70cc saw than fight an underpowered saw in Big wood.

I think I have narrowed it down to one of the following I think: Makita 7900 series; Husky 562xp; Stihl MS462cm. They are in somewhat different classes so let me explain why :)

• Makita has the power to run a 32" (I'd also likely get a 24" light as the main bar - maybe 20") and seems to be the best 70cc+ 14-15lb saw (available today), but I don't like the manual carb - I am not very familiar with engines so the auto carbs are appealing to me.
  • The Husky will run a max of 28". Main reason I am including it because it has all the features for a noob like me and I know a guy selling one with a 20 & 28" bar for $700 practically brand new. It is underpowered in this group but perhaps that all I need as my current saw does 80% of my work today.
  • The Stihl is the sweet spot between the two and probably the saw that would be perfect for me. But it's not available yet. I could wait, or have a friend in the UK ship it to me. The work I need to get done with the larger saw needs to be done in 6 weeks so I'd have to ship which is a pain. I'd probably run this with a 24 & 32 - both light.

I excluded the Husky 372 and Stihl 461 as I think the Makita is probably better for the same weight (though I like the auto tune on the husky). The Stihl 441cm seems to be no longer available. The Stihl 362 even though I like the weight and features can't handle over a 24" bar and it sounds like a 28/32 would be better as my long bar option and have a 24 or maybe 20 as a short.

Thank you all again, please keep sharing your thoughts as I am learning a lot.

I think I have narrowed it down to one of the following I think: Makita 7900 series; Husky 562xp; Stihl MS462cm. They are in somewhat different classes so let me explain why :)

• Makita has the power to run a 32" (I'd also likely get a 24" light as the main bar - maybe 20") and seems to be the best 70cc+ 14-15lb saw (available today), but I don't like the manual carb - I am not very familiar with engines so the auto carbs are appealing to me.
  • The Husky will run a max of 28". Main reason I am including it because it has all the features for a noob like me and I know a guy selling one with a 20 & 28" bar for $700 practically brand new. It is underpowered in this group but perhaps that all I need as my current saw does 80% of my work today.
  • The Stihl is the sweet spot between the two and probably the saw that would be perfect for me. But it's not available yet. I could wait, or have a friend in the UK ship it to me. The work I need to get done with the larger saw needs to be done in 6 weeks so I'd have to ship which is a pain. I'd probably run this with a 24 & 32 - both light.

I excluded the Husky 372 and Stihl 461 as I think the Makita is probably better for the same weight (though I like the auto tune on the husky). The Stihl 441cm seems to be no longer available. The Stihl 362 even though I like the weight and features can't handle over a 24" bar and it sounds like a 28/32 would be better as my long bar option and have a 24 or maybe 20 as a short.

Thank you all again, please keep sharing your thoughts as I am learning a lot.
You can still get the 441. Local shops around me have them on the self still.

Latest posts

Back