MS241 needs a big brother

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a similar situation looking for a two saw plan a couple years ago.

I started with an ms361 full wrap. It’s 10yrs old now and been great - no issues ever. I was out cutting with a friend running a 372xp and we swapped saws for a tank of fuel. Well I didn’t want to give him that saw back! Let me tell you 10cc is a big difference in my experiance. Like you I’m a home owner/weekend warrior that’s into cutting. For my second saw I bought a 390xp thinking it was foolish to have two saws only 10cc apart. The 390 has been great and runs well - crazy power/cutting speed (I have a 20” tech lite on it). I don’t regret the purchase but it’s a lot of saw / heavy and I shy away from it. Since it’s purchase I acquired a 272xp and that’s the go to saw for everything now. It’s easy to carry, and has plenty of power for my needs.

Running the 272 and 390 side by side there is really no advantage in cutting speed between the two until the wood is 24” and up.. In big wood the 390 pulls ahead.

If I was to do it all over again, I would have one 70cc saw for everything. Weight difference between the 60/70cc classes is nil and the 70cc has the torque to motor through big wood efficiently. My 361 does the same job, just a bit slower and a bit more work on the operator.

Sean

That's a decent deal on the 562xp.
That saw will surprise you up to a 28" bar what it can do. There are some technical issues with some of them and great Dealer support is imperative if you are newer to chainsaws.
That said a 70cc saw with a couple different bars is hard to beat. Husky 372xp or a Stihl 461 or a Dolmar 7900/7910. I have all the saws you are considering.

Geezus, a 32" guys ?! Hes a homeowner and the 241 sounds like it's all but enough. He needs a MS362 or a 562XP and a 24" bar. Those will more than suit his needs, from what I gather from his post. Not to mention its 2 lbs less than the 70cc saws.

I agree with Overkill338. A 7900 is overkill...no pun...even though I want a 7900. If you want to lean toward Makita?Dolmar look at 6100.

Between the limited dealer support and the fact that I really don't need a 80cc saw I agree that the 7900 is overkill for me. I really feel it is between the 562XP I can get used or wait/ship a MS462. Both are just over 13lbs and keeping the weight down was a important factor in my noob opinion. I'd rather have a 70cc saw so I am going to see about shipping and will keep you all posted.

Between the limited dealer support and the fact that I really don't need a 80cc saw I agree that the 7900 is overkill for me. I really feel it is between the 562XP I can get used or wait/ship a MS462. Both are just over 13lbs and keeping the weight down was a important factor in my noob opinion. I'd rather have a 70cc saw so I am going to see about shipping and will keep you all posted.

There's a guy on OPE that can get you a 462 for $1400 shipped. But a 562 does not compare to a 462. The 562 fits in with the 362.

The 7900 really isn't that much larger/heavier than a 562 in real world use, but I do see where you're coming from. I was initially all for Auto tuning saws, that has waned for me personally. The 462 does looks to be a phenomenal saw, but having one shipped over the pond makes it a lot of $$$ for a saw in that class. The best advice I have is to look around local Home Depot rental shops for used Makita 6400 or whatever they call it now. @ $330 a pop it's reall a no brainer IMHO, and if you don't like it someone here will buy it in a heart beat. Isn't saw shopping fun[emoji41]

[emoji111][emoji111]

... The 462 does looks to be a phenomenal saw, but having one shipped over the pond makes it a lot of $$$ for a saw in that class. The best advice I have is to look around local Home Depot rental shops for used Makita 6400 or whatever they call it now. @ $330 a pop it's reall a no brainer IMHO, and if you don't like it someone here will buy it in a heart beat. Isn't saw shopping fun[emoji41]
I'll take a look! Thank you!

He can buy 2-1\3 new 562's for the cost of a 462.
Sometimes I get analysis paralysis when researching/shopping - thanks for the reminder to not spend more than I need to.

Going to look for some Home Depot rental sales and may try out that 562xp. If I buy used it will get me through this job and I could always sell it later if I find it does not meet my needs - essentially getting me a long term rental without too much cost.

Found a local Home Depot selling a Makita 6421. Got it for $285. Has a 20" bar on it now with a new chain, but will be looking at getting a light weight 28" if the saw will run it. Is the oiler sufficient? Any recommendations on 28" bar/chain for it?

If I need more power I can do the 7900 conversion or sell it and pickup the Stihl 462 once it becomes available. Saving $ feels good and it runs like a champ.

Thank you all for you help and guidance. I saved a bunch thanks to you and am looking forward to putting this into some wood.

I think in that softer wood it will run the 28” well.

My favorite reduced weight bars are the Stihl followed by the Oregon but they are on the expensive side. Down the road if you think you have to have the 462, the Stihl RW 28” would be a good bar to have.

Me likey a 461Rwith max-flow filter and some “flow enhancements” ... imho ya just can’t beat an oiled foam-filter ! 20+ tanks (before cleaning and re-oiling) will cut ALOT of timber and NO debris / fines get into intake unlike the stock cartridge - style filter ... with the right mods the 461R will pull/oil a 32” bar no problem-O and is a blast to run with a 20” - more weight than a 462 and slightly more than a 572 but WAY more hop-up , **** and get potential - and they are available here in the states ...

I am pretty far from you actually. I am in WA state. Thanks though.

If you head to Chehalis there’s a saw shop there called Madsens it’s a pro fallers shop and one of the few in the country you can hold both Husky and Stihl in the same place.

Myself I run from a 562 to a 390 husky with a 32” bar depending on the day and my back.
43e499c925d255726bfe33f523848b24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have narrowed it down to one of the following I think: Makita 7900 series; Husky 562xp; Stihl MS462cm. They are in somewhat different classes so let me explain why :)

• Makita has the power to run a 32" (I'd also likely get a 24" light as the main bar - maybe 20") and seems to be the best 70cc+ 14-15lb saw (available today), but I don't like the manual carb - I am not very familiar with engines so the auto carbs are appealing to me.
  • The Husky will run a max of 28". Main reason I am including it because it has all the features for a noob like me and I know a guy selling one with a 20 & 28" bar for $700 practically brand new. It is underpowered in this group but perhaps that all I need as my current saw does 80% of my work today.
  • The Stihl is the sweet spot between the two and probably the saw that would be perfect for me. But it's not available yet. I could wait, or have a friend in the UK ship it to me. The work I need to get done with the larger saw needs to be done in 6 weeks so I'd have to ship which is a pain. I'd probably run this with a 24 & 32 - both light.

I excluded the Husky 372 and Stihl 461 as I think the Makita is probably better for the same weight (though I like the auto tune on the husky). The Stihl 441cm seems to be no longer available. The Stihl 362 even though I like the weight and features can't handle over a 24" bar and it sounds like a 28/32 would be better as my long bar option and have a 24 or maybe 20 as a short.

Thank you all again, please keep sharing your thoughts as I am learning a lot.
You can get a 441 anywhere. My dealer has two, $775.

Latest posts

Back