MS261 c-m inbound

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Wood junky
Reaction score
I have a new MS261 C-M coming in this week through my local dealer. Any suggestions on easy muffler mods,etc.? I'm not concerned about warrantees. Just want the very best reliability (it is not uncommon to have to saw myself out of my driveway, see attached picts) and secondarily best performance. P.S. I have stock MS361 and MS461, too.
20140205_104238_zpsa43c7f32.jpg

On my 261C I copied the fish gills Brad Snelling put on the 241 muffler in his 241 porting thread, in addition to opening up the original exhaust hole under the screen.

They're an easy saw to make run very well, even without porting. The squish is very big from the factory. Tighten that up and mod the muffler. You'll think you have a ported saw when you're done. Tightening the squish not only serves to increase compression, but also adds intake duration. Give it a whirl!

They're an easy saw to make run very well, even without porting. The squish is very big from the factory. Tighten that up and mod the muffler. You'll think you have a ported saw when you're done. Tightening the squish not only serves to increase compression, but also adds intake duration. Give it a whirl!
Is this done by removing the gasket?

I can testify to that!! Thanks again Brad!

Final set up 16" E Bar with 0.325 x 0.063 67 DL RS chain. 15# 4 oz ready to cut with full tanks, bar and chain on. Cuts fast and smooth making cookies. Even did a few bore cuts and also buried the bar noodling some partially dry beech and it performed just fine.
Love it!

Shoulda got the arctic version if that snowy mess is your intended usage... either way, congrats on the new Stihl!

I have a new MS261 C-M coming in this week through my local dealer. Any suggestions on easy muffler mods,etc.? I'm not concerned about warrantees. Just want the very best reliability (it is not uncommon to have to saw myself out of my driveway, see attached picts) and secondarily best performance. P.S. I have stock MS361 and MS461, too.
20140205_104238_zpsa43c7f32.jpg

Any long term update? Am considering this saw (MS261 C-M) as well. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back