MS261C-M running/starting issue once hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakes12002

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have a new MS261C-M that runs great..... until it's hot. Once it's hot, and I mean heat soaked hot, not I ran it 5 minutes and it's up to temp hot, it will not run, it won't even start and idle. The local dealer told me that once it starts doing this, let it idle for 60-90 seconds, the problem however, is once it gets to this point, I can't even get it to run period. The saw even died mid cut after I thought I had let it run long enough trying to prevent this issue, after that I could barely even get it to pop when trying to start it. I let it sit for a half hour or so while I used my brand new one day old Ms461 (ran flawless and is an absolute beast btw), and still, the saw would not even start. Anyone run into this before or have any insight with this? Everyone that sees me with this saw at the local dealer says what an awesome saw it is. I can hardly believe this is a common issue if all I hear is praise for this thing.

It sounds like your fuel solenoid valve in the carburetor is damaged or sealing not properly. In this case the solenoid valve needs to be replaced, because the little o-sealing ring isn`t availible as a spare part on the m-tronic solenoid valves. But a few years ago, on the MS 280i (pre m-tronic version) carburetor, there was this little 9645 945 3001 O-ring 7x0.8 availible as a spare part. I`m really sure that this o-ring will also fit the current m-tronic solenoid valves. But I don`t know if this o-ring is availible anymore. Maybe that`s a reason/fix for your problem.

Alright, so the current verdict is that it needs a new carb and ignition module. Both parts had to be ordered and they hope to have it done middle of next week.

Not to my knowledge, but they had confusion on where the paperwork was when I called them, so maybe they didn't know everything. I dropped off the saw unanounced and they told me they didn't think they would even look at it this week, so when I called for a progress report they seemed to be scrambling for info.

Well I picked up the saw yesterday. They also replaced the spark plug and fuel filter at my cost as well as the warranty carb and ignition module. Surprising it needed those being as the saw has maybe 6 tanks of fuel through it, oh well. I hope to run the saw this weekend to test it out so I can report back.

Surprising it needed those being as the saw has maybe 6 tanks of fuel through it, oh well.
Maybe it didn't but many shops just replace parts in hopes to fix the issue. But sometimes they do go bad that quickly which is what the warranty is for.

Alright, the latest and greatest is that the saw seems to run better. I ran almost a tank through it yesterday, however it was much cooler here yesterday than when I was having the issue, but the saw ran great, never bogged and always started on the first pull once she was warmed up. I plan to use it more still yet, as the majority of my cutting was done with my 461.

I was told dont use selector knob in the down position I leave in the run position when HOT

Latest posts

Back