MS280 . . . For Those In the Know About Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 280 and I love it, it is light and has plenty of power to pull my 16" bar I have on it. I use it as my light timber saw, under 18". My dealer has only sold one 270 in the time it has been out, he sells at least 1, 280 every week. One day he told me he sold 4 280's in one day.:jawdrop: :rock: :)

I have a 280 and I love it, it is light and has plenty of power to pull my 16" bar I have on it. I use it as my light timber saw, under 18". My dealer has only sold one 270 in the time it has been out, he sells at least 1, 280 every week. One day he told me he sold 4 280's in one day.:jawdrop: :rock: :)

They dumped the 280 at MS250/Husky 350 prices here last year - if they redo it this year, I think I will pick one up - trouble is, what should I use it for.........

:blob2: :blob2: :yoyo: :yoyo:

..btw, they are rated at a bit more power here, than in the US - just .1 kW less than the heavier Husky 359.....

We never had the 290 and 310 here, only the 390 from that series - and I wouldn't want one if you throwed it after me........:pumpkin2: :pumpkin2:

:ices_rofl:

REALLY! I'm shocked. BTW, ever cut, or attempted to cut with one?

For those you who are Stihl dealers and anyone knowledgable about the Stihl line, I'm wondering about the MS280. Is it true that dealers sell very few MS280s (and even MS270s) ? I've assumed this because the three Stihl dealers that I've visited lately have had no 280s in stock and say that they almost never have one unless it's a special order. They always have three or four of the heavy 290s in stock, but no 280s.

I've casually and quietly been looking for a MS280 for a few months, but even my daily scans of E-Bay reveal that very seldom do 280s and 270s turn up for sale. On E-Bay a fellow could find at any one time high numbers of 029/290 saws for sale or bid, but practially never a 280 or 270.

What's wrong with the 280 that dealers won't stock them? I've even noticed that many of you fellows here on the forum have in the past had mostly negative comments about the 270 & 280 models.

I've got a 280 and a 260....I haven't found anything wrong with my 280,in fact I like it better than the 260.

my stepbrother in michigan has a 270 and he loves it

i used it a little last october when i was there and it seemed like a nice saw.homeowners are getting alot better stuff these days.

REALLY! I'm shocked. BTW, ever cut, or attempted to cut with one?

Don't want to - lifting/feeling it is more than enough - just bulky, plasticy, as a large toy - and I know the vibe numbers, and know about the crappy air filter also .......

Looks and feels like crap.......:angry: :angry: :bang: :bang:

They dumped the 280 at MS250/Husky 350 prices here last year - if they redo it this year, I think I will pick one up - trouble is, what should I use it for.........

:blob2: :blob2: :yoyo: :yoyo:

..btw, they are rated at a bit more power here, than in the US - just .1 kW less than the heavier Husky 359.....

Nice flames SawTroll and a good post...but to answer your question you generally use these things to cut timber. If you have not tried one I can tell you that they work quite well in this application if the wood is not too large for the power of these units.;)

Nice flames SawTroll and a good post...but to answer your question you generally use these things to cut timber. If you have not tried one I can tell you that they work quite well in this application if the wood is not too large for the power of these units.;)

well, as I will probably get a 5100 for the Witch, the need for a 280 is pretty remote - I don't need it to cut wood, that's for sure.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :laugh: :laugh:

Another strike against this saw is the "Inteligent Engine Management" system (IEM) that the current production MS280s have. I know I'm a kook, yet I'd also bet that others are hessitant to buy a chainsaw with an electronicaly controlled carb. The HS needle is completely eliminated (yay EPA...). Their literature states that the little magnetic valve in the carb opens and closes 33 times a second! Just the thing for the hostile/dirty enviroment that chainsaws live in. Better have sqeeky clean fuel!

The kook in me believes that someday (soon) the EPA will require saws to have OBD (on board diagnostic) capability like cars. We'll have to bring our saws back to the dealer when the saw doesn't run right so he can hook his computer to it. "That'll be $55.00 plus tax for me to clear that 'loose fuel cap' error code from your computer". Smog checks anyone??? :popcorn:

Then there's the cost. The 'brain' incorporated into the ignition module plus the afforementioned electronic carb of course upped the cost of the saw to near-MS260 levels. Might as well buy an MS260 before they phase it out. Replacement componants will be more $$$ too. Now, if the ignition portion or the fuel management portion of the ignition module fails you will of course have to replace the whole thing. The carb's gonna be pricey to replace too. I don't know whether that carb can be rebuilt easily with a 'kit' (or must be replaced as a unit). Also, I don't know whether the 'magnetic valve' can be replaced independantly of the carb. I hope Lake and/or the other Stihl guys 'in the loop' will enlighten us 'out of the loop' folks. :cheers:

All good fear factor ponts, but the IEM has been in test in Europe for over 18 months... If you're worried, let someone else be the early adopter, and wait and see... This sounds much like the 361 and 441 early days.... and Stihl got those right. If the IEM delivers, it will mean less end-user issues rather more. Best thing that ever happened to cars was computer controlled injection...

BTW - the fuel is clean in the carb... that's what fuel filters and inlet screens are for. If you leave fuel in the carb for a year, that's another problem. 33 times a second is actually quite slow in comparison to the pressure changes and diaphragm movements inside the carb.. And if the IEM fails, it covered by a lifetime warranty for the original owner. The solenoid is replacable and the carb can be kitted.

I think you'll see this or similar on many more saw in the future.

Don't want to - lifting/feeling it is more than enough - just bulky, plasticy, as a large toy - and I know the vibe numbers, and know about the crappy air filter also .......

Looks and feels like crap.......:angry: :angry: :bang: :bang:

Ok Sawtroll, I got sucked in and bought a new ms 290. I agree with ya, but most have been reliable. I know I can muffler mod this thing, what else can a person do with it? ( Other than throw it in the trash ) :p

More 'Fear Factor' for you...

All good fear factor ponts, but the IEM has been in test in Europe for over 18 months... If you're worried, let someone else be the early adopter, and wait and see... This sounds much like the 361 and 441 early days.... and Stihl got those right.

Wow. 18 months... I remember the K-Cars getting great reviews in the rags for at least that long. The first of those had electronic carbs too. I've had more than my share of working on electronic carbs. Granted, I have more faith in Stihl than the early eighties auto makers...

The 361 and 441 didn't introduce anything as radical as the IEM. The flak with them had more to to with the 'why fix what ain't broke' question. Stratified Charge is fine with me (as long as I'm 'allowed' to adjust the carb to where it runs right). I don't particularly mind a different method of porting. Otherwise, I'd be against any 2-stroke that had transfer ports!!!

If the IEM delivers, it will mean less end-user issues rather than more. Best thing that ever happened to cars was computer controlled injection...

Less end-user issues with the 'Home Depot' consumer types (that Stihl is supposedly avoiding with their marketing decisions) seems more on target to me. It'll more efectively get rid of the pesky 'issues' that limiter caps and fixed jet carbs couldn't quite take care of. Gotta keep the rubes from tinkering with the mixture parameters. I take it you never change the limiter caps from their factory positions on the needles.

They talk about never having to adjust the HSN again. Whoopie. For an "I just put gas in and pull" easy2start-lovin' schmuck (and understandably you dealers that have to service their saws), that sounds like a good thing. For me it means that the user is forced to run the fuel mixture parameters that the manufacturer builds into the system (by choice and/or by mandate from the EPA). Don't be shocked but I (and probably one or two A/S folks) actualy like to be able to tune my/our equipment to where I/we believe it's running at its best, NOT where someone who's hundreds or thousands of miles away (and cares-or is forced to care more about emissions than saw longevity or performance) thinks it should be.

BTW-your automotive point is a matter of opinion. Some of us kooks still run carbureted trucks (and mechanicaly injected diesels) by choice when 'allowed to' by the powers that be. Granted, EFI is probably best for the family car (turn the key, push the 'go pedal'...), but not necessarily for the guys that like to tune and repair their own equipment. The vehicles that I use in the back woods are almost all mechanical, with the exception of a Pertronix module (which I can quickly replace with a set of points in the field if it fries). Do I have EFI vehicles in the stable? Yes (including the family car and my commuter), largely because my state just about FORCES me to with ever tightening smog laws, but that's definately another thread. For example, my friend is being forced by the smog-nazis to stop driving his good running, un-tampered-with '86 FJ60 because it won't pass a test it was never designed to take! Ah Kalifornia...

BTW - the fuel is clean in the carb... that's what fuel filters and inlet screens are for. If you leave fuel in the carb for a year, that's another problem.

Have you worked on EFI automobiles much? Clean fuel for a carbureted engine is NOT suficient for an injected (or solenoid controlled) engine. Take a look at a carbureted car's filter and compare it to an EFI filter. A carb-spec filter is small and much more porus than an EFI filter (which catches much smaller crap). EFI systems usualy have a powerful in-tank pump that pushes the fuel through those large, fine filters. Injectors (magnetic valves) are much less tolerant of small amounts of water and fine particals than any conventional carb. The junk that buggers up injectors is often too small to see with the naked eye.

The magnetic valves in those damn computer controlled carbs in many early '80s cars had many problems with dirty fuel. Not dirty because it 'sat for a year' (and BTW- modern Cal-spec fuel goes bad in 30-90 days, read the service bulletins) but dirty because of the crap that just plain finds its way into pump fuel (water, particals finer than what gets stopped by normal filters). I'd be very surprised if a chainsaw clunk-type filter (or the screen in many saw carbs) is any where near as effective as a true EFI filter setup. How much crap have you seen accumulated inside the fuel tanks of the many saws you've serviced over the years?

33 times a second is actually quite slow in comparison to the pressure changes and diaphragm movements inside the carb.. And if the IEM fails, it covered by a lifetime warranty for the original owner. The solenoid is replacable and the carb can be kitted.

I think you'll see this or similar on many more saw in the future.

I conceed to the 33hertz point. The Stihl guys aren't stupid. They've probably engineered the system where there won't be more problems than their warrantee program can handle. However, I like to be able to work on my equipment in the field. Taking the saw back to the dealer isn't an option when I'm six hours into the sticks on a jeep trail (I sometimes collect firewood on NF land as well as private ranches).

I can see that mine is indeed the kook point of view however, as my points are percieved (and dismissed???) as 'Fear Factor' in nature. I figured as much, and donned my foil cap PPE from the get-go. My favorite vehicles are my old International Harvester Scouts, my '71 International Harvester Crew Cab 4X4 3/4-ton pickup (still gotta take some pics and post that rig in the 'Quad Cab' thread...), and my mechanicaly injected (International 6.9)diesel Ford pickup, so you've gotta consider the source (hint-look at my username).

Oh, and despite this all I wanna buy an MS361 soon as the CFO lets me! I better do it before Stihl decides that great saw needs IEM and a cat!!! :ices_rofl:

Regards,

-Aaron

Last edited:
More power to you Aaron. As for me, I don't like to work on my stuff, I like to use it. The more I have to tinker with it, the less I'm using it for what I bought it for.

If they perfected a small, high capacity battery, and could put out an electric rechargeable chainsaw with the power/weight of a 440 that I could charge once a week for 15 minutes I'd be all over it. No more hearing protection to make my ears sweaty and I could carry on an indepth conversation about the dos and don'ts of maintaining a Purple Martin colony while cutting my firewood. :D

I'm not opposed to technical advances. The 4.6L (281ci) V8 EFI engine in my 2004 F150 puts out about 65 more HP than the 316ci carb engine in my buddy's early 80's Dodge.

Ian

Good point, Haywire Haywood. It's reasonable, plus I love any reference to the 4.6L Ford V8. That small but powerful V8 sits in my 05 GT outside even as I type. Now that's an engine that likes to run.

Eccentric - good post, and I do understand your postion well.

Yes, the gearheads are always going to hate the lack of "control", but I bet less than 1 in a 1000 ordinary purchasers even knows where the carb is, let alone the screws. AS members excluded of course.;). This saw is aimed at the consumer, not the pro. As for EFI... sure, I can't mess with my truck like I used to, but on the other hand, all I've done in 17 years is put in a set of plugs.

And yes, I've been known to alter the limiter caps on my saws... (uh oh, here come the Stihl police :taped:), but rarely do is see a customer saw with carb holes even exposed - they are almost always filled with sawdust.. (a GOOD SIGN :D ).

You might misunderstand the nature of how the carb is controlled - it isn't "EFI -like"... the solenoid just regulates the mixture (within a smallish range) effectively by altering the height of the metering diaphragm... Fuel "dirt" isn't any more of an issue than with a normal carb. That's why the change rate does not have to be engine speed rate.

As for fuel filters - sure, I've seen my share (every day) of carbs with junk, but it's almost always either due to varnish from stale gas or old/rotten/wrong filters. The white Stihl filters are incredibly good... even when dirty they just get blocked up - nothing gets though to the carb, and they don't rot.

Electronic control in one form or other is coming to all saws ...eventually... Buy up al the 371's and 440's you can get you hands on... Tried to order a 440 full wrap yesterday - all gone... limited quantities of 440 standard wrap still available..

"Fear factor" - It wasn't aimed at you, and I certainly did not mean to appear dismissive - just a reference to the general perception that change is always bad...

Electronic control in one form or other is coming to all saws ...eventually... Buy up al the 371's and 440's you can get you hands on... Tried to order a 440 full wrap yesterday - all gone... limited quantities of 440 standard wrap still available..

"Fear factor" - It wasn't aimed at you, and I certainly did not mean to appear dismissive - just a reference to the general perception that change is always bad...
Good post

You just didn't refer to husky 372's as 371's to tick the husky guys off did ya? lol. I think you were crossbreeding the johnny reds and the huskies.

Eccentric - good post, and I do understand your postion well.

Yes, the gearheads are always going to hate the lack of "control", but I bet less than 1 in a 1000 ordinary purchasers even knows where the carb is, let alone the screws. AS members excluded of course.;). This saw is aimed at the consumer, not the pro. As for EFI... sure, I can't mess with my truck like I used to, but on the other hand, all I've done in 17 years is put in a set of plugs.

And yes, I've been known to alter the limiter caps on my saws... (uh oh, here come the Stihl police :taped:), but rarely do is see a customer saw with carb holes even exposed - they are almost always filled with sawdust.. (a GOOD SIGN :D ).

I definately see your point. As you pointed out, I was talking from the 'gearhead' (sawhead???) perspective. I've been cruising the local Stihl dealerships lately and thinking about buying a new (gasp) 50-ish cc saw to take some of the workload away from my faithfull 031AV. The MS280 was briefly considered (as it's an MS270 with more displacement), then passed over when I learned of the IEM hardware.

Having worked on consumers power equipment (and for Sears amoung others...yuck) I can certainly understand the relief felt when you see no evidence of tampering by those that shouldn't be trusted with a screwdriver, let alone a chainsaw! I don't have to think much about keeping my Wife's car running, other than keeping up on oil changes, brakes, etc. Oh, and that car has a modular V6 (4.0L Explorer) and is a sibling of your 4.6L's Vernon and Ian! I had an '89 ex-CHP 5.0L Mustang for years (during which time I worked on other peoples saws and didn't run my own). That was an EFI engine that I certainly appreciated. I've sinice 'regressed' back into my earlier mindset and now tinker with carbs and injection pumps on street legal farm equipment...

You might misunderstand the nature of how the (IEM) carb is controlled - it isn't "EFI -like"... the solenoid just regulates the mixture (within a smallish range) effectively by altering the height of the metering diaphragm... Fuel "dirt" isn't any more of an issue than with a normal carb. That's why the change rate does not have to be engine speed rate.

Thanks for the info. I figured that it wasn't EFI like as there is no injection pump. From the Stihl literature I was under the impression that there was pintle valve controlled by a solenoid (magnetic valve-a term Stihl used), like an early eighties electronic carb. So the IEM only controls the effective height of the metering diaphragm? That makes more sense for this application, and it would tolerate 'dirty' (actualy normal woodlot level) fuel as well as a conventional diaphragm carb. I still like mixture screws better.

As for fuel filters - sure, I've seen my share (every day) of carbs with junk, but it's almost always either due to varnish from stale gas or old/rotten/wrong filters. The white Stihl filters are incredibly good... even when dirty they just get blocked up - nothing gets though to the carb, and they don't rot.

That realy is good to hear. I hate lousey filters. My point was this style of filter wouldn't be adequate for EFI or magnetic pintle valves (remember that even clean 'looking' fuel is not necessarily clean enough for EFI). It's a good thing that the MS280 doesn't have either. Like I said, the Stihl guys aren't stupid!

Eeek. No electronic carbs, EFI, or cat-mufflers on my saws please! Electronic ignitions with electronic advance I can live with. Electrons controling electrons is fine with me! :rock:

No Worries. :cheers:

There's advances, and then there's change for the sake of change. We've seen (and will continue to see) our share of both from the automotive and power equipment industries.

Prost,

-Aaron

New Research : Just this morning, Friday, 3/16, I stopped in at one of the most knowledgable and customer-oriented Stihl dealers I've ever dealt with -- Mini Motors in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The woman who runs that shop and store had six MS290's in stock but zero 280's. She said that in the last several years, she's had only one 280 in stock and it sat for a LONG time before selling, so she's never ordered another one. Mostly, she reported, it's the high price of a 54cc saw that makes the 280 a poor seller . . . a point that several of you have made.

I told her that I was generally pleased with my old 028 WoodBoss, and she quickly reminded me that the 028 and 280 are, despite the name similarity, very different saws. I said yes -- thanks to the information and discussion on Arborist Site, I realize that.

Latest posts

Back