MS440 - Brand new in sealed box! It's here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet, lol. I try not to run them too late or too early. I also try to befriend them and help them out every now and then with odds and ends. And I tell them it's a peace offering for putting up with the saws:)

Thats cool. I'm sure the fence helps too, I just noticed all the chips in your yard and thought you must be doing alot of cutting.

You read my mind on that Brad!!!!

The muffler mod is done. I extended the factory deflector, so as to keep the finish on the case and clutch cover from burning and turning black. I then blended the factory deflector under the new one so that it has a nice smooth transition. I also significantly opened up the port underneath, more than you could without extending the deflector. I tuned the saw to 13,000, where it is still considerably rich. I'll probably leave it there for a tank or two. These cuts are the first since the single cut I made with it last night. Yes, I'm babying this one a little:)

807812676_DDQcV-L.jpg

807812680_9w44A-L.jpg

<object width="640" height="360" ><param name="movie" value="http://photo.blsnelling.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9ODA3ODE1NjUyJms9M0F1alYmYT0xMTQ3NTk4OF9wcUdzVyZ1PVR3ZWFrZXI=" /><embed src="http://photo.blsnelling.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9ODA3ODE1NjUyJms9M0F1alYmYT0xMTQ3NTk4OF9wcUdzVyZ1PVR3ZWFrZXI=" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

I made a slug to mode mine a few weeks ago just for the same thing...Now I have grind it into shape,,and split it into for 2 pieces for each side,,but this is the ruff slug I had made so far....Thats one thing I dont like about the factory exhaust,,,burns the paint off the clutch cover and the heat burns your hands on the handle bar.....
attachment.php

I was wondering about the neighbors too. I'm glad my neighbors aren't that close. I think my neighbor goes into heat when he hears a saw start

Lol!!!

I was wondering about the neighbors too. I'm glad my neighbors aren't that close. I think my neighbor goes into heat when he hears a saw start

Where I live I dont have to worry about neighbors,,but still it's so quiet you can fart and someone a mile a way can hear it....LOL!!! If I lived next door to someone they would have already called the noise police with my Mcc's.... :)

Doesn't sound rich to me mang. . . Cleans right up in the cut.

I expect it to turn 14,000 once I lean it out a little more. With a stock muffler, spec is 13,500. I'll wait a couple tanks to do that though.

I just checked squish and compression, .024" and just shy of 150 PSI. The plan is to put a popup in it and set squish about .018".

I expect it to turn 14,000 once I lean it out a little more. With a stock muffler, spec is 13,500. I'll wait a couple tanks to do that though.

I just checked squish and compression, .024" and just shy of 150 PSI. The plan is to put a popup in it and set squish about .018".

Is Nik still turning your pop-ups for you?

That squish is fairly tight already. . . A guy would expect taller on a 440 or 066, but that 066 I just did was .024" as well with factory gasket. .018" should bump that saw up nicely. :)

14,000 sounds about right. . . I've seen a 500-800 rpm gain from muffler mods as kind'a an average.

Is Nik still turning your pop-ups for you?

That squish is fairly tight already. . . A guy would expect taller on a 440 or 066, but that 066 I just did was .024" as well with factory gasket. .018" should bump that saw up nicely. :)

14,000 sounds about right. . . I've seen a 500-800 rpm gain from muffler mods as kind'a an average.

Yes he is. BTW, I've seen .017" with a gasket on my 066. I've had no problems with it. So I have no concerns at all with .018" on a 440.

I know Brad....

No fears. It'll be turning 15,500-16,500 soon enough:) Stipes is a blubbering pig at 15,000!

I was so suprised how much it was 4 strokin and out of the box!!! I'll let you lean it up at the next GTG,,and dont cheat!!! LOL!!!! :)

Yes he is. BTW, I've seen .017" with a gasket on my 066. I've had no problems with it. So I have no concerns at all with .018" on a 440.

WOW! Dang, they really got that 066 close?

You've set a bunch of you saws' at .018" IIRC. . . I didn't think you'd have an issue. :cheers:

My 660 won't even turn over with the gasket out..;)

I also noticed the exhaust port was already pretty wide on the 66 I had apart. . . Good on Stihl for that one. Not to say I didn't improve on that wideness thing. LOL

Latest posts

Back