MS661 Piston Availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a new piston for my 661 a couple weeks ago. Normally, I get almost everything I order by the next day. They can't even give me an ETA on this piston though. Oddly enough, I bought another one not too many weeks ago. Anyone have any insight into why they might not be available right now?

That could well be. I doubt they're selling many 661 pistons, but the volume of everything else could be affecting everything.

I wouldn't bet on that. The new dealer I get parts from said he is working on quite a few 661 and parts availability is bad. Didn't elaborate much on the work he was doing though

Nate, see if you can find out what kind of work he is doing.

Must be contagious, the parts problem these days. Know a guy who's 6100 never saw wood yet and he adjusted the oil screw and it fell out. Took it to a Dealer who ordered the part. ..three weeks ago. It still hasn't arrived.

Must be contagious, the parts problem these days. Know a guy who's 6100 never saw wood yet and he adjusted the oil screw and it fell out. Took it to a Dealer who ordered the part. ..three weeks ago. It still hasn't arrived.
Next trip for parts I will ask. He said he has sold 30 or so of them since November and wasn't impressed with them. I know at least a few were crunched.

I will have to look at oil pumps for 6100....I've sold a couple in the the last week or 2....back order would explain the boost in sales. That pump fits 5100/510/5105/6100

2 pumps still on my shelf and 1(soon to be 0) on the shelf at the distributor in Columbus.

Few weeks ago I Waited on a ms460 piston for weeks from my dealer before I ordered a meteor. Dealer said it was back ordered and couldn't get an eta on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find all this "on back-order" stuff , no matter what product/article/part it is about , highly suspicious!
I have a feeling that it is a marketing trick to artificially increase demand and be able to raise prices!

Modern production techniques and logistics should mostly precede delivery choke points.

But , that is just my point of view at this topic.

I hope You guys get the pistons You are waiting for , at the prices You were expecting to be quoted. :)

I find all this "on back-order" stuff , no matter what product/article/part it is about , highly suspicious!
I have a feeling that it is a marketing trick to artificially increase demand and be able to raise prices!

Modern production techniques and logistics should mostly precede delivery choke points.

But , that is just my point of view at this topic.

I hope You guys get the pistons You are waiting for , at the prices You were expecting to be quoted. :)

I agree. With a global entity as powerful as Stihl I believe they're playing us as idiots.

Ever been in a shop when someone that pays there morgage with a chainsaw gets told some part is on backorder and will be 8 weeks or more ? Pretty sure they dont plan it

Apologies in advance for going off topic, but this thread definitely has got me thinking...

Two of the smartest guys I knew in college were logistics/supply chain management majors. To hear them talk about it, it is every bit a science as, well, any science.

I don't think stihl is holding out on purpose, but I tend to believe that even a small ripple in this part of their operations can and will cause pretty severe disruptions further down the line.

Latest posts

Back