My boys first solo saw build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGoBlue

Those who stay will be champions
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
1st, gotta give credit where it's due. A friend of mine recently picked 3 free Huskys. Being a steel guy and all, he knows a good saw when he runs it, so he kept the 288! :baba: He gave one of the others to my 15 yr old son, Andrew. Kinda caught us both off guard, but it wasn't really a surprise knowing his character. So there's the basic back story. Much thanks farmer of lead! @lead farmer

So all the parts are there, I figured I post a build thread. He did help a little during the redux of my dads 50, so he's not a total newb. This time, he will turn every wrench. And for that, I again must thank Rodney. What more could a dad ask for! Time spent rebuilding a saw with his kid. :bowdown::bowdown:

This is what we're starting with:

DSC00490.JPG
DSC00491.JPG
DSC00492.JPG

As soon as he got home from school today, he wanted to dig in.
DSC00493.JPG
DSC00496.JPG

Well it was certainly good practice. It's a no go though. Couple nasty scratches in there, so we'll wait and find a replacement. He did get it lookin' better.
DSC00516.JPG
DSC00514.JPG
DSC00513.JPG

As for the carb... I've never seen anything like it before!
Right now, it's in a mix sauna.
DSC00517.JPG

But check this out.
DSC00533.JPG
We cleaned it up as best we could and called it an evening. Made a parts list but his funds are limited, so we'll have to budget wisely. As he works on it, I'll post up so Rod-man can follow.

Thanks fella's. I'll follow up on your offers. Our kids get their age in $$ per week for allowance and he's trying to save up for a car. :eek: He's really sharing my interest for saws n stuff. :dancing:

DD, we were planning on a Meteor. Bearings feel good and I won't know about the seals till I get the top end back on. I'll be in touch.

Looks like your boy has a good teacher and is on his way to a life long love affair with saws :)

I think I have a jug somewhere that your boy can have.

If Jacob doesn't I am pretty sure I do.

Joe

Too cool that you share this interest with your son.
I got a meteor piston, bearings and seals for the cause if you need them.
Dave

Wow! The generosity of people amazes me.

Looking forward to pics of your boy finishing and running that 55!

I should have maybe gave him a Stilo 26 of something to work on that way he had a chance to see that there is other saws out there.......heheheeeeeee[emoji12]

Latest posts

Back