My New Husqvarna 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mo239

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After much debate and looking I finally ordered a new saw, it finally arrived on Tuesday. I think I'll be very happy with it! One question, do I need to do anything special for break in, or first start up?

Its a Husqvarna 359 with 20" bar:

059-2.jpg

Nice! I hear to many bash that saw while I used one for years and it absoloutely flat out cut. Fill it with mix and let her rip, none of that babying crap either.

You'll like that saw a lot. I agree people study paper specs to much and don't speak with high regards on it. Probably one of my favorite saws though. They have a lot of torque and you can lean on them pretty good.

Thanks. I was almost going to go pro saw, but the more I got to thinking, the more I realized I didn't need that much power and features. And, when this popped up on ebay for $130 off retail I couldn't resist. Can't wait until I can put some gas in it and fire it up!

Thanks. I was almost going to go pro saw, but the more I got to thinking, the more I realized I didn't need that much power and features. And, when this popped up on ebay for $130 off retail I couldn't resist. Can't wait until I can put some gas in it and fire it up!

It might not be listed as a "pro" saw... but it will perform like one. One of the best "homeowner" saws out there...

Enjoy it. Fill it with mix and bar oil and go cut ... like was said earlier... don't baby it either. You'll feel more power with each and every tank of fuel.

Gary

Congrats on the purchase! The 359 is a good saw. I've sliced and diced at least 60 cords of pine with mine.
If I see the chain right, your not gonna like it with the funky rakers. I'd take it back and get a 16" bar and a better chisel chain if you haven't used it yet. That Vangaurd chain is junk
John

Congrats on the new saw. The only thing I would recommend would be buying a non cat muffler (I assume yours has a cat because mine did) and putting it on ASAP. It gave mine a little more power and let it run cooler. Then if you get to feeling spunky you can always muff-mod and port it.

Check out this crazy vid I just did with the 359. I was trying to go fast for the sake of footage and got pinched! Hahahahaha! What a cull! The saw pushed back towards me missing the far corner!:blob2:
16" 3/8's.
Gypo

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SmL1E38_nNs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SmL1E38_nNs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I may never own one, but it's sure on my short list of saws I'd like to run.

After I run one then I may own one.

I've got one ready for rebuild. Have all the parts just need to clean up the cylinder. A buddy of mine wants to buy it once fixed. I'm not so sure I want to get rid of it hahaha, need a saw that size. From what I've heard they are pretty darn good for what they are. I can't wait to get mine going and test it out. Good luck with yours I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Congrats on the new saw. The only thing I would recommend would be buying a non cat muffler (I assume yours has a cat because mine did) and putting it on ASAP. It gave mine a little more power and let it run cooler. Then if you get to feeling spunky you can always muff-mod and port it.

Is this just a bolt on, or is some carb tuning required to get it right? I don't like the looks of this chain one bit, I figure its going to be replaced real soon. If I'm correct, I should be able to go and ask for a Jonsered 2159 20" chain, right?

Yes the muffler is just a bolt on. You will probably have to adjust the high setting on the carb, nothing big just a small tweak open more will do. Just look at the bar or chain and it will tell you what size and pitch it is and then you can just buy any brand you want in that size. Where abouts in Maine are ya?

I have one that's been abused pretty bad judging by it's looks. Compression is about 60 psi, the guy I got it from couldn't figure why it wouldn't start...lol

Damn nice saw BTW.

Congrats Moe!!!

I'd put a loop of either Oregon LGX or Stihl RS or RSC chain on her. Nothing really wrong with Vanguard chain but it doesn't cut near as fast as chisel chain. I would also let the saw idle down for a few seconds in between big diameter cuts.

I've heard from a very respectable saw modder,these saws have huge potential for modding gains.Anybody else have first hand experience with a modded 359?Verwy interwesting!Might have to ad to the posse.Thankfully it's light.

I've heard from a very respectable saw modder,these saws have huge potential for modding gains.Anybody else have first hand experience with a modded 359?Verwy interwesting!Might have to ad to the posse.Thankfully it's light.

The 359 I just picked up I got for cheap, really cheap. I'll probably keep it and play with it. We'll have to start a "how to hot rod the 359" thread. I'm in the reading up on the saw series right now, next step is to find someone to cut the base on my cylinder...

I got mine for free from a friend, needed muffler, clutch cover, piston, cylinder cleaned and a few other odds and ends things. So far I've spend under $200 and this saw is really growing on me. Once I get the cylinder cleaned up and pretty sure I won't want to get rid of it. You know how some saws just grow on you....well this is one of them. The worst part is I haven't even run it yet.

Back