My son and his new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My son Tyler started hounding me for a saw of his own on the way home from the Ohio GTG. He watched cookie cutting all day long and caught the bug. Funny thing is that Ralph (begleytree) offered him a chance to run his Stihl170 and out of shyness he refused. We went last weekend and bought a new 170 for Tyler but couldnt find chaps small enough to make do, so I ordered a small pair for him. Well we went and picked up the chaps yesterday and did a little cutting today. I posted a few pics in the Ohio GTG thread but wanted to post them here as well for you guys to see. He is one happy little man. Maybe if I am lucky , he will continue with this interest of chainsaws and woodworking. View attachment 51125

View attachment 51126

View attachment 51127

View attachment 51129

Looking good!

My dad started me out with his power hand tools when I was a yung'in too. He always drilled safety and technique into me. And it's true - once you have those as second nature, you're set for life.

I'd show him the U of WA chaps video on labonville's website and also remind him to keep that thumb wrapped around the top bar.

You're such an enabler.... :hmm3grin2orange:

Good post. Although I grew up with tools, we never had a chainsaw, and I didn't pick up my first saw till I was in my 20's.

Way to go Tyler! looking good son!! you got yourself a pretty good little saw there, light but strong, and it will get stronger for a while as you wear it in.
Don't forget to have Dad show you how to maintain it too, a saw is only as good as the care it gets.
hey, after its worn in, have Dad pull that deflector plate off the front of the muffler and you'll have a muffler modded saw, first 10 year old I know of to run one! but get it broke in first.

Way to go Dustytools! too many 'parents' want to 'protect' their kids from the real world or from teaching them anything. the saw skills he learns now will serve him the rest of his life and is something he can pass on to your grandchildren someday too. and you'll find that 170 is a pretty nice limbing saw as well. ;)
what are you running on it? 3/8lp picco or narrow? I run picco just to use the same chain on all my small saws, but the 017 I have is running PMN and cuts good too. you running him on safety chain for now?
-Ralph

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys. Not sure about the chain type Ralph, other than the fact that it is safety chain. I have spent the last few nights with Tyler reading the owners manual and talking safety. We tried on and adjusted all of the safety gear last night so that it was ready for today. Ive already thought about trying him on a little chain sharpening and maintenance next weekend, hopefully he will be a little better at filing than I am. Thanks again.

Cool Dusty! I'm sure you've explained standin' to the side but it will bear mentioning for a while till it is second nature. My dad was always great at letting me get some 'hands on' while he built and tinkered, and very patient, but I never got to work with a chainsaw till I'd left home and was around 16.
I will not let my daughter see these pics, she still wants a puppy, first things first lol (she has tried splitting a few times and does ok for 8) :D

:rock: :rock:

:cheers:

attachment.php

Good job Dusty!!!!

Good to see all that PPE in use!

Starting from some 50 odd years ago my dad regularly took me out falling trees (seriously BIG hardwood karri and Jarrah trees) with his 4 man gang starting . From about 10 years of age onwards, on school holidays and saturdays I rode swampy (aussie term for assistant) on top of the fuel tank of the D9 bulldozer used to haul the logs into the bush loading. The dozer driver was an out-n-out nutter who used to hoon through the bush at breakneck speed smashing everything in sight down and continually getting into trouble with the boss. I'd have to hang on for dear life balanced on the fuel tank. When we got to a fallen/bucked tree, my job was to dig under the end of the log wrap the chain or 1" thick steel wire rope around the end of the log and tie it back to the dozer, and jump back onto the dozer as it was moving to perch on the fuel tank again and get a ride back to camp. Despite this OHS nightmare, my dad wouldn't let me use a chainsaw till I was about 12. I then used it to cut all the family firewood (including all the block splitting), all hardwood, about 10 tons of it a year, up until I went to college. I remember the only PPE my father insisted on was boots. . . . . . but I used to like wearing his hardhat which I still have. Lotsa nice memories of working in the beautiful Aussie bush.

darn, your son beat me to it, i was 17 when i bought my first chainsaw :hmm3grin2orange: and before that i had only cut now and then something little...

BUT great to see that you got your son proper PPE for starters and i take it your gonna teach him to file that chain soon...

Way to go Tyler :clap:

That’s a happy son you have there. My kids help on the mill but are not ready for a saw yet (can’t wait). You are giving me flash backs when I was a kid. I was so happy when dad showed me how to cut and spilt wood and then my name changed – when it was warm out my name changed to DO WOOD and when it was cold out it changed to GET WOOD. Thanks for sharing the smiles.

Good stuff! Tyler even has the power tool grin just right! Are those pig skin gloves? I bought a pair of those and found them to be perfect for splitting and handling firewood, but kinda slick for running the chainsaw. They look a little big on him too...but could just be the way I'm looking at the pics.

Ever consider the knit gloves with the thick wrinkle rubber on the palms and fingers? I love using those for cutting. Gives me a great grip and breathable too. Not tough enough to handle wood with, so I just switch back to leather when I need to do that.

Just a thought.
attachment.php

Back