My splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hose shop was open half a day today so I went and got the last adapter. I ran into a little problem hooking the hose up. Can anyone guess what the problem might be? Back to the hose shop on Monday... --Ian

attachment.php

That figures. I make my own hoses at work and have never seen anything like that. Id never look in there to make sure the threads were even there. Unreal:dizzy:

That sucks Ian. Wonder if it was made in China or Taiwan??:chainsaw:

Mine is almost ready to split. I just need Hydro fluid. I'm waiting for work to get rid of some of the aircraft MIL-5606 fluid. That stuff is AWESOME! Even in cold weather the stuff stays almost the same viscosity that it would be at 70 degrees. Makes for easy starting and quick warm up.

Just got back in. Got the engine controls mounted and the kill and start switches wired. Still need the correct terminal lug to get the battery charge wire hooked up and some wire clamps to neaten up the wire run and keep them from chaffing.

I started it and it seems to want a little choke to run smoothly. The engine sat on it's side for awhile and the aft cylinder had some (a lot of) oil in it. Smoked me out pretty good for 5 minutes and fouled out the plug. Wired brushed the plug and back in business.

Killed me that I couldn't pull that valve lever. :cry:

Ian

Just got back in. Got the engine controls mounted and the kill and start switches wired. Still need the correct terminal lug to get the battery charge wire hooked up and some wire clamps to neaten up the wire run and keep them from chaffing.

I started it and it seems to want a little choke to run smoothly. The engine sat on it's side for awhile and the aft cylinder had some (a lot of) oil in it. Smoked me out pretty good for 5 minutes and fouled out the plug. Wired brushed the plug and back in business.

Killed me that I couldn't pull that valve lever. :cry:

Ian

Should have just held the hose away from you and cracked the valve open real quick. Seeing the fluid shoot out would have done it for me! :)

***EDIT***

Ok so I just re read what I typed and I bet someone is gonna turn that into a sexual thing! :laugh:

Here's my homemade splitter, works well on rings upto 20inch. I run it offmy Cat mini digger and it produces 17+ton.
We have small fires and stoves this side of the pond so a log between 6 to 10 inch is all we need.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71l9W_TBoVo

Thats very cool . You should start your own thread and put up some pics and show it off. That thing is cool. Would like to see more of it. :)

Well, it's up and running. The engine needs a tuneup in a bad way. The return detent on the valve isn't working, won't release. This might be the excuse I need to put the high flow valve on it.

Cycle time out and back is about 8.5 seconds on my stopwatch. I put a piece of wood in it sideways to get the pressure up to look for leaks and it cut it half in two across the grain. I'd hate to get my hand caught in there.

Ian

Edit... did the calculation and it appears that I'm getting about 14-15gpm unloaded. Not great.

Last edited:
Interesting finding... I'm surprised that I haven't done this before considering how I've dwelled on GPM... the spec for the 28 gallon pump I have says the displacement for the low pressure section is 1.395 cubic inches per revolution. They claim 28gpm at 3600 rpm, but when I do the calculation, I am only coming up with 21.7 gallons....

What gives? Is this the typical manufacturer puffing the specs or am I missing something?

Ian

HayDude, you got a 4.5 or a 5 incher on that there splitter machine. Either way I woulda figure the extra GPMers would have you right about where I'm at 6 secs full cycle. I'll measure my speed again this week. Even though that is good time and with the bigger cyl it will be unstoppable as you already saw. BTW what Prex are you runnin? Also HW for leak checks just runner out to the end and hold the valve open. Thats a good way to see the max operating prex too. I wouldn't just hold it there but just momentary to see prex and leak check. Thats alot of bypass under pressure for any valve to handle. Mine squeels somein fierce when I do that.

4 inch... should be a lot faster than 9 seconds... the restrictions are either the valve itself or the 1/2" fittings on the valve and cylinder. Since the valve detent isn't working as it should, that gets replaced first. I could probably see if I could fix the detent on the old valve but what fun would that be? :laugh:

Don't know how much pressure I'm running, no gauge in the system.

Ian

Last edited:
Back