My woodpile is growling at me..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oo found this one i took out with a 9....

spike2009019.jpg

I heard what sounded like a badly wounded animal crying inthe ditch alongside the hightway. Grabbed my 22 pistol and went prying throught that tall grass. Heard a growl, looked down and my boot was about 6" from the nose of a badger...well for about 1 nanosecond it was there. Took me an hour to get back into the vicinity.

Harry K

I don't understand coon hunting at all.

Ian

ive never been on a coon hunt with dogs and whta not, but i want too. The coons i kill are becuase they are a pest and eat our feed and what not...

not to mention that it is fun to run em down on foot and shoot em with a pistol....

I heard what sounded like a badly wounded animal crying inthe ditch alongside the hightway. Grabbed my 22 pistol and went prying throught that tall grass. Heard a growl, looked down and my boot was about 6" from the nose of a badger...well for about 1 nanosecond it was there. Took me an hour to get back into the vicinity.

Harry K

ROFL!!!!!

I had one in the little pocket swamp behind the old house, where I used to hang the tree stand.

She would get up around 0915 every morning and come out grumbling and snarling, take a leak, and go back in her den until about 1000. Then come back about 1130 and stay in there. I swear she had a Clock and a calendar in that den.

I got to my stand late one morning in October, forgetting about Miss grumpy and the time hack. She was NOT happy with me. On the bright side, I discovered that I really don't need as many tree steps as I had been using.

Just a grumpy, cranky, obnoxious, hatefull critter...Convinced me right quick anyway.

I liked having her around as I NEVER had to worry about somebody stealing my stand or tresspassing through that swamp.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

ive never been on a coon hunt with dogs and whta not, but i want too. The coons i kill are because they are a pest and eat our feed and what not...

not to mention that it is fun to run em down on foot and shoot em with a pistol....

Well, if they are impacting your farm operation, I can see it. I always had a soft heart for the masked bandits though. Chasing them down and shooting them with a pistol for fun has never even occurred to me. Possums though... by the amount of them on the road flat, you'd think they were large flightless moths, drawn to their deaths by headlights.

There ya go, made me look like a PETA fanatic with almost no effort at all. LOL

Ian

Last edited:
So I have a large pile of wood by the boiler left over from the past winter. I am in the process of stacking it so as to make it easier to cover and pull from. All was gowing well until about a third of the way through the pile. That's when I heard it. I pulled a stick of oak, and the pile growled from deep inside. Not sure if I heard right, I pulled another stick....yep, the pile is growling at me. So either there is a stick of oak, or perhaps even a rowdy maple that is very content being where it is in the pile, or I have a trespasser of the furry four legged type that has taken up residence. I see no entrance to the pile. I dug out some supplies today that I may need in the near future. 22's, and tomato juice. I'll keep you posted....:)

:givebeer:

Hope the critter didn't win.....

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

That would have made a great video!

No, that would be my house yesterday.

Now to first set up the scenario, realize my cat lives a life that is split between a fear of me stepping on her tail and a fear of Jake the Dalmatian licking her. She is constantly leaving the living room and going into the kitchen whenever one of us moves.

There's also Oscar the Dalmatian, but he's harmless, and lazy, but mostly just harmless. When Jake is outside, Cat will go and rub up against Oscar and Oscar looks at me wide eyed, "She's TOUCHING me! Make her stop, pleeeeeaaase." My normal response is, "She's 4 pounds, you're 95...do the math Oscar."

So I hear a weird noise behind me. Some how I knew cat caught a mouse.

But for some reason, she wasn't content to kill it in the kitchen, no she brings it to the living room / office to play with it.

Now the same noise that made me turn around got Jake's attention, so he comes barreling out of the bedroom.

Cat drops the mouse, and runs towards the kitchen.

Jake sees the mouse, and he whips his head back and forth trying to decide whether to chase the medium size furry thing running or the small size furry thing running.

All this commotion got Oscar to actually lumber off the couch and come take a look.

Mouse runs under the woodstove.

As mouse is running under the stove, Cat runs back out of the kitchen and catches mouse again. Pretty impressive move of diving under the woodstove and coming out the back flying with her claws extended and scooping the scurrying mouse up to her mouth.

But then Cat realizes Jake is still here, and might at any second sniff her butt or lick her ears or do anything other normal dog activity that a cat would find offensive. So she drops the mouse.

By now Oscar is between Cat and kitchen, so Cat dives under Oscar's belly so she can slide under the kiddie gate and into the kitchen.

Jake is trying to jump over Oscar to reach the cat.

One seriously terrified mouse that Oscar is turning his head and watching scurries around in circles behind the woodstove before deciding to go hide behind the kindling.

At this point, I'm just hoping nothing expensive gets broken and I stay silent so the situation can quiet down on it's own.

if ur thinking his finger is in the trigger.... cameras make things seem like something they arent. trust me, he is one of the safest guys i know/hunt with when it comes to firearm safety.

Yeah, that's what it looks like. Okay, you were there, I wasn't. :cheers:

Well, if they are impacting your farm operation, I can see it. I always had a soft heart for the masked bandits though. Chasing them down and shooting them with a pistol for fun has never even occurred to me. Possums though... by the amount of them on the road flat, you'd think they were large flightless moths, drawn to their deaths by headlights.

There ya go, made me look like a PETA fanatic with almost no effort at all. LOL

Ian

HH, I'm with ya. I might actually brake for a raccoon in the road, but true story, I dang near hit a bridge abutment trying to hit a possum. He was a little closer to the bridge than I estimated, and it took some evasive maneuvers afterward, but I got the SOB. I was a good 10' off the road at the time of the thump.

Wish y'all wouldn't have sent them things up here as presents in hay bales. They appeared up here during the late 80's when drought up here caused a lot of hay to come up from the south, and it's commonly thought that the possums, being the lazy bassturds that they are, just hitched a ride. I hope they decide winter sucks up here and get on the next southbound.

HH, I'm with ya. I might actually brake for a raccoon in the road, but true story, I dang near hit a bridge abutment trying to hit a possum. He was a little closer to the bridge than I estimated, and it took some evasive maneuvers afterward, but I got the SOB. I was a good 10' off the road at the time of the thump.

Wish y'all wouldn't have sent them things up here as presents in hay bales. They appeared up here during the late 80's when drought up here caused a lot of hay to come up from the south, and it's commonly thought that the possums, being the lazy bassturds that they are, just hitched a ride. I hope they decide winter sucks up here and get on the next southbound.

lol, sry we will try to not send em next time haha:cheers:

I saw a story in the paper a few weeks ago about a raccoon. It was rabid and actually chased a guy up one of the boats at his boat yard. The coon even tried to climb up after him. Being in a metal building his cell phone didn't work, so there he was being pursued by the critter. Eventually another guy comes along and he gets chased too, the both of them ending up hiding in the back of a truck. Eventually a woman comes home they warn her, and she's able to capture it in one of her kennels. The guy had to get those painful rabies shots because he wasn't sure if he had come in contact with the beasts saliva. Guess they make you ill and burn.

I saw a story in the paper a few weeks ago about a raccoon. It was rabid and actually chased a guy up one of the boats at his boat yard. The coon even tried to climb up after him. Being in a metal building his cell phone didn't work, so there he was being pursued by the critter. Eventually another guy comes along and he gets chased too, the both of them ending up hiding in the back of a truck. Eventually a woman comes home they warn her, and she's able to capture it in one of her kennels. The guy had to get those painful rabies shots because he wasn't sure if he had come in contact with the beasts saliva. Guess they make you ill and burn.

another reason u should carry a handgun at all times lol:jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back