My woodpile is growling at me..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
take no chances.... use a .270.....

n1516146229_290168_1562480.jpg

For a shot like this my hunting boss would kick my ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccoon

Females have their babies late April. Thats Now.

:clap:

THANK YOU! Not all animals which can be hunted have to be hunted all the time! Give them a chance.

Cheers,
Kerstin on Vincents account

The back was shot away. The poor beast was running away already. Where is the point shooting it? Just for killing?

A good shot on an animal should be in the heart to make sure it dies quick and makes a less damage to the creature as possible. But this is just my personal idea.

Kerstin for Vincent wrote once more.

Edit: @Brandon A: I did not mean to offend you. This was just what I thought, when I saw the pic. Sorry.

Last edited:
This post reminded me of the time last trapping season that I tried to sneak up on a Muskrat. I was just about to the shop, and seen this furry little guy trotting down the side of the road. He was a ways from water, so perhaps lost or just on a bit of a walk about. I drive past, and he never even looks up. Stop the truck, grab may handy axe handle and start sneaking up behind him. I raise my foot to step on his tail long enough to wack him, and he spins around. This got my attention. Then he jumps at me. This really got my attention, and I put my arse in high speed reverse. He follows. The evil lil :censored: chased me back to the truck before turning around and heading back down the road. Fierce thing he was. :cheers:

I hope I don't offend anyone, but judging by some of the responses here, some people don't have a clue what a pain in the @ss those marauding little b@stards are.
I swear, since fur prices have dropped over the years, there are so many around that I could walk across my field at night, stepping on their backs and never touch the ground.
Cute? Tell that to my chickens that they torment night and day.
One day (at NOON!) I heard my free range chickens squawking and ran to see a big coon chasing them over a small rise and into the woods. I grabbed my shotgun and followed into the woods. As I topped the same rise, I see the whole pack running straight back at me . Chickens veered right of me, chickens veered left of me, but that old boar took a 12 ga load straight in the face. No heart shot there.
Heart shots at coons? Unless you have dogs tree them, they're just flitting shadows at night and I don't have time to mess around with 'sporting' shots. Left, right. or in the @ss, I don't care.
Get the feeling I don't like them? :laugh::laugh::
Like I said, no offense. I just get on my soap box when people drag out a Bambi attitude about being nice or sporting to certain 'cute little forest creatures'.:angrysoapbox:

take no chances.... use a .270.....

:

Unfortunately I can't see this picture but I bet is would be something along the lines of using a 105mm howitzer to shoot deer:cheers:

All I can picture is "Bubba, there he is... Woa that was cool dude..."

Unfortunately I can't see this picture but I bet is would be something along the lines of using a 105mm howitzer to shoot deer:cheers:

All I can picture is "Bubba, there he is... Woa that was cool dude..."

LOL, I shot a snowshoe hare once with a 30-06. I was deer hunting and he was sitting looking right at me. I thought I could get the meat and four 'lucky' feet with a good shot. But he was close and I didn't account for the difference in height between the scope and the rifle bore.
I put the crosshair on his nose but hit him low in the throat. Never knew what hit him. It completely gutted him (couldn't even FIND the guts), broke every bone in his body and laid him out like a bear rug.
:jawdrop:

LOL, I shot a snowshoe hare once with a 30-06. I was deer hunting and he was sitting looking right at me. I thought I could get the meat and four 'lucky' feet with a good shot. But he was close and I didn't account for the difference in height between the scope and the rifle bore.
I put the crosshair on his nose but hit him low in the throat. Never knew what hit him. It completely gutted him (couldn't even FIND the guts), broke every bone in his body and laid him out like a bear rug.

lol, reminds me of a pic that i have of a oppossum that caught a 30/30 at about 10 ft..... its a lil to gory for most people though..

Sure don't want to offend anyone but, at my farm furry critters die. Possums are ugly, so I shoot 'em. Coons crap on everything, so I shoot 'em. Squirrels chew holes in things, so I shoot 'em. You get the point.

I have 2 1100 bushel auger wagons that we unload combines into during harvest. Try to clean them out before winter storage but some years it gets done better than others. Pulled one out of the shed 2 years ago and turned it on. 8 coons came out of the unload auger mangled but still warm and 2 still kicking. Dog took care of the kicking ones.

Several years ago I shut down the combine for the night, left it in the field. Next morning I greased, oiled and fueled it. Pulled into the corn, turned on the thresher and BANG! Coon had found a warm place to sleep right up close to the rotor belt. That f#####g coon cost me $2200 and a day of harvest.

Those cute little furry creatures may have their place but it ain't my place!

:agree2:

Many folk don't realize the damage some critters can do on a farm (machinery, livestock, horses). I respect nature and am not cruel to any animal, but I also have no qualm about shooting every groundhog and coyote I see.

I do apologize guys, but between work and the weather I have yet to route the unkown varmint. I promise pics of carnage either to it or myself at the earliest possible convenience.......:givebeer:

:popcorn:

Heh. Shot a big grey squirrel once with a 22 from directly under him. bullet went up through his chin and took off the top of his head and the entire brain with it. Very clean cavity.

Also a ground squirrel. Shoot and he went crazy, doing dances, spins, somersaults and died. Examined body to find the shot was bit low and had taken off his nuts cleanly. Must have died from shock.

Harry K

Many folk don't realize the damage some critters can do on a farm (machinery, livestock, horses). I respect nature and am not cruel to any animal, but I also have no qualm about shooting every groundhog and coyote I see.

I used to trap raccoon back when they were worth about $35/critter, unskinned. :)

Local farmers used to have to plant 2-4X the amount of sweetcorn they wanted to sell because the local raccoons would eat them out of house and home. They used to allow me complete unfettered access to all their land as long as I did everything to wipe those buggers out.

One old geezer guy had a huge barn filled with hay on his property and it was loaded with raccoons that lived in the hay. He did not allow trapping on his land but everybody around him did. So I had to trap them as they left his land but one season I got 35 raccoons as they exited his property. They were heading to a local sweet corn field of about 200 acres. That farmer was lucky if he could get about 25% yield off his land.

Wood pile tippin

I noticed a few weeks ago my woodpile was starting to lean. didn't think muck of it. Went out yeserday to investigate because one end tipped over. Found a baby woodchuck dead under the tipped over pile and chould here more of them under the pile that was still standing but leaning. Went into the house to get the gun. No bullets for the 22 or the 20 gauge but I had some sabot slugs for the 12. Started to tear the wood pile apart out runs a big wood chuck , shot that one before it made it to the shed. Kept on taking the wood pile apart and found the nest with four more babies. Used up the rest of the shells. No more wood chucks on my land. It took me three hours to fill in the hole ,level the gravel and restack the wood pile. I don't mine the tree rats in my yard or on my wood piles but when something starts making a mess it's time for them to go.

Beefie

I used to trap raccoon back when they were worth about $35/critter, unskinned. :)

Local farmers used to have to plant 2-4X the amount of sweetcorn they wanted to sell because the local raccoons would eat them out of house and home. They used to allow me complete unfettered access to all their land as long as I did everything to wipe those buggers out.

One old geezer guy had a huge barn filled with hay on his property and it was loaded with raccoons that lived in the hay. He did not allow trapping on his land but everybody around him did. So I had to trap them as they left his land but one season I got 35 raccoons as they exited his property. They were heading to a local sweet corn field of about 200 acres. That farmer was lucky if he could get about 25% yield off his land.

I trapped a coon by a slew on the edge of a corn field here a couple years back. Darn thing weighed 36 pounds. My three year ol girl at the time weighed 38. Ole coon didn't get that big eating minnows and trash.

ETA....Found some pics..

36lbcoonwithtape.jpg

36LbCoon.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back