Nails needs a spanking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, not at all. I suppose the winter kill around here keeps that in check pretty well.

And not keeping any rotten wood helps too

Ants here will not disturb wood piles if they are well stacked, the occasional moist rotten piece will attract the smaller species. I've not seen carpenter ants in well kept piles or sheds.

Why do I freeclimb? That is the question. It's against my better judgement to tell you but, what's one more for old times sake.

I like the freedom of movement, speed, smoothness, and not being restricted. I like it when you have a lot of branches or the diameter is perfect like 12"-24". Just a straight shot to the top, tie in and go to work from there. I always have my climbing line clipped to my saddle and a buckstrap on a side D in case I hit a bad spot or want to stop for something. It's just how I have done it since I was young. This whole presetting a climbing line thing is still pretty new. I do like having the option though, cause looking back I climbed some nasty **** that I would prefer to shoot a line on these days.

That's it.

I climb the same way, it depends on how comfortable I am in the tree. I'd rather trust my grip or my error rather than some one else's. Or tie onto a truck receiver. I've climbed trees as a kid and never got it out of my system. Not saying free climbing is right for every situation cause it is not. Don't expect me to tie in when there is branches all over a maple. There again I use a gut strap when I get into a spot or get tired. I'm not reckless and I double check all of my knots. Tie into the top and away you go, don't blow this up more than what it is.

LT...

I climb the same way, it depends on how comfortable I am in the tree. I'd rather trust my grip or my error rather than some one else's. Or tie onto a truck receiver. I've climbed trees as a kid and never got it out of my system. Not saying free climbing is right for every situation cause it is not. Don't expect me to tie in when there is branches all over a maple. There again I use a gut strap when I get into a spot or get tired. I'm not reckless and I double check all of my knots. Tie into the top and away you go, don't blow this up more than what it is.

LT...

I think you should seek professional help to make you see that you are in nothing but denial AND also leave the tree climbing to the pros...like me.
don't expect you to tie in? Really that is a gem!:clap:

hey, do you wanna know what separates me ( the pro) from guys like you ( not pro)? It will tell you in the book, the book where it says that pro's tie in. You are nothing more than a liablity. It does make me mad, there is a lot of liabilty allready.
Now tell me your reason that you think the tieng to my hitch is so wrong.

Last edited:
I never personally met a tree freeclimber ( a real freeclimber that is, not just the occasional undo then redo) who wasn't a bum drunk, had bastard kids, a hefty rap sheet and no respect for himself or the others around him. also they din't have cars and if they did they were junk. Their girlfriends drove them to work.
I am not calling any of you guys that, this is just from what I have seen. It is not worth it to have someone like that around.
Now are there any of you guys out there who still have their girlfriend drive them to work?
I HATE an M and F er who makes himself my problem. Now run over to my truck and grab me another rope, quickly now quickly.
Oh and... if you really like the freedom of movementand feeling unrestricted then just take off your pants. Speed? yeeeah!

Last edited:
I never personally met a tree freeclimber ( a real freeclimber that is, not just the occasional undo then redo) who wasn't a bum drunk, had bastard kids, a hefty rap sheet and no respect for himself or the others around him. also they din't have cars and if they did they were junk. Their girlfriends drove them to work.
I am not calling any of you guys that, this is just from what I have seen. It is not worth it to have someone like that around.
Now are there any of you guys out there who still have their girlfriend drive them to work?
!

Boy does that bring back memories! Pretty accurate description too, except my old foreman was a good guy at heart if you got that far before hating him. I was taught that it was ok to freeclimb to the tie in if a lot of handholds. I remember my cocky ass foreman freeclimbing up a big old oak so wide he could barely get a grip with his fingertips, arms spread eagle, about 50 ft. to the first good branch and had to fingertip crawl past a big bulge in the trunk 45 ft. up just before it, no lanyard nothing...CRAZY MF'R!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking that one dan, I just got company as I was about to reply.
Nice job though. Its nice to see these guys fessing up finally.

I climb on blaah, blaah, when I'm not "freeclimbing", lol. At least me and "Old Brown" aint a climbing liability believe me - and yes I take the jobs nobody else wants, them jokers leave alot of money on the table sometimes.

But yeah, those types is what (nobody in particular OK??) makes treework suck sometimes - when ambulances have to show up and families cry.

Think about that one a minute there "freeclimbers".

Oh, and dan, at least tunn the friggin hitch upside down - moron!

Last edited:
Dan

Sorry if I got your goat or struck a nerve. I was just trying to tell Nails that I understand the reasons for what he does. I do run a great shop and have a great crew. And none of us will take a beer over a tall glass of iced tea. We are not drinkers:jawdrop: We are kind and there is no swearing on my jobs or in my house or in my cars. I'm not a hacker nor am I stuck on myself. There was some jobs I walked away from due mainly to the server overhead risks in the past 16 years. Should I have been honest or over bid them. I do not have a crane or a bucket truck, Just the bare necessities. I do not think I need to seek a professional Dr. As I'm sure you don't think you need anger management. I wish you well and hope you are safe in your work.

LT...

No, not at all. I suppose the winter kill around here keeps that in check pretty well.

If you did that down here that thing would be crawling with ants all year. There is something about it that attracts them, either odor or for the protection from insectivorious animals.

Sorry if I got your goat or struck a nerve. I was just trying to tell Nails that I understand the reasons for what he does. I do run a great shop and have a great crew. And none of us will take a beer over a tall glass of iced tea. We are not drinkers:jawdrop: We are kind and there is no swearing on my jobs or in my house or in my cars. I'm not a hacker nor am I stuck on myself. There was some jobs I walked away from due mainly to the server overhead risks in the past 16 years. Should I have been honest or over bid them. I do not have a crane or a bucket truck, Just the bare necessities. I do not think I need to seek a professional Dr. As I'm sure you don't think you need anger management. I wish you well and hope you are safe in your work.

LT...
What do you want to say? Ok, freeclimb? There must be tons of threads on this. I don't really recall any and this is my first one personally. But probably this topic was done to death a long time ago.
I read mention of some dunderheads earlier but just let it go. I assumed they were the type of guy to do it then claim they " run a good ( I am sorry great) crew". I don't make the correlation, sorry.
And I won't.
With the fact that this topic has been done to death ( it has. hasn't it?) I was really taken aback when Nailsy Wailsy ( puddin and pie, kilt ten dear and made them cry) ( Don't swing buddy, I was just joshin though I deserve it for that) boasted his claim of the last deadly sin in this work. WOW! yeah, blew my mind. I was a bit cornfused.
More cornfused than when old Scott Hornbaker ( ISA) had me topping trees back in Flourtown. Scott, you must hate me... good. Actaully, I don't care, he don't either. works out great for both. How is old man Steve. Trust me on this: I did live, I did learn, I surpassed that idiot a very long time ago. You still peddle that guy ( not pedal, peddle)?
Remember, we are on " freeclimbing though there is reason I mentioned Scott. If there is truly a man out there who might be observed by others doing things like that and claiming that is a reasonable practice that's as bad as when you are told your car needs a transmision when the plugs are fouled. Get it? You can be held liable for that.
That was number one, Two: By doing so you ultimatley put everything and everyone else at risk ( whether you can admit it or not). That is now how you just made yourself a liabilty. How? Because if you do the math you are mostly due for a car accident about now. And that takes us to number three.
Denial. The Dan might be immortal, I am not. Are you? For crying out loud Nails, you can't even get into a car without ripping your scalp off.

Holy crap! You are in deep now. Where is your safety margin now? Hey if you don't have one just shut-up and take a lot of video so's i can entertain myself. Actually you would be the one entertaining me. And THAT I WOULD SHOW TO MY PROSPECTIVE CLIENTS.

Four? Sure. A man who doesn't respect the margins don't respect the job. I man who don't know the margins shouldn't do it.

Five? No. said it allready... before. But I can show you how I feel that the clove on the hitch was Ok for me. (See how that is worded? Words, very important to get right.) If someone could show me how I went wrong ( did I?) I should be wise to listen. You must understand that setting up the clove on that hitch took a little longer than Nails freeclimbing up a stick.
With that, you CAN NOT show me how freeclimbing can work for anybody. Go ahead... Try... please.
I think of freeclimbing to be more than just standing a few feet up in small tree with a hand saw which is no worse than standing on a ladder and there is now way around the standard practice of ladders. I forget the height at which you are REQUIRED to tie in. I don't go more than ten and that is were my knees start shaking.
So I listed four or five things and that is about the same ammount of unrestrained falls I have seen. I even have a cute little bald spot on my soft spot from when I was just kidding myself too. Not to hurt anyones feelings but I was six when that happened.
lets see.
Scott- ladder slipped out 16 feet over a driveway. left him grasping for his life and 4 kids. I think that " movie" ( you know the one they play on the inside of your forehead when you are about to take a slam?) must really suck to have kids in it.
My mom- slid off the barn roof and landed on her arse. Screwed her pooch for life ( I love saying that about my mom, tough old bird she IS)
Kevin- twice, maybe more for him though I only heard the sound of his bones break once. ( talk about " comin out the tree!) You want his number? he says " you just suck wind and start flapping!"
My uncle- 12 foot extension ladder. Knee surgery... ugly knee surgery.
Done? I hope so but keep it up and you are going down.

Susan Schmolisky. That my Doc. she just sits there and stares unbeleivably.:)

treemandan ***I never personally met a tree freeclimber ( a real freeclimber that is, not just the occasional undo then redo) who wasn't a bum drunk, had bastard kids, a hefty rap sheet and no respect for himself or the others around him. also they din't have cars and if they did they were junk. Their girlfriends drove them to work.
I am not calling any of you guys that, this is just from what I have seen. It is not worth it to have someone like that around.***

Now you have "met" two, nails and me. I don't know nails personally and I have never worked with him but I do know that I free climb all the time, true free climb, no ropes, no tie ins and no belts or harnesses. I run my own busness, I don't drink, I have others work for me, my wife has never driven my truck and I have never been driven to work by her and my kids are exemplary. Just because someone free climbs doesn't make them YOUR problem. We fall, its our problem, not yours. You want to be ultra safe, do it. I'm perfectly safe and completely at ease in a tree regardless of how high and I have NEVER had an injury EVER nor has anyone around me and I've been at it for quite a while, tree cutting that is. I've been climbing trees since I could walk and have the pictures to prove it. Your holier than thou BS just pisses everyone off. MYOB and take care of yourself. We've been down this road before and it doesn't get better. You do it your way, I, and nails, will do it ours.

Thanks for taking that one dan, I just got company as I was about to reply.
Nice job though. Its nice to see these guys fessing up finally.

I climb on blaah, blaah, when I'm not "freeclimbing", lol. At least me and "Old Brown" aint a climbing liability believe me - and yes I take the jobs nobody else wants, them jokers leave alot of money on the table sometimes.

But yeah, those types is what (nobody in particular OK??) makes treework suck sometimes - when ambulances have to show up and families cry.

Think about that one a minute there "freeclimbers".

Oh, and dan, at least tunn the friggin hitch upside down - moron!

The art is being able to plan the climb with the ropes.

I was thinking the rope would get cut on the edges of the hitch. I did make sure it was Ok, see?
carmella005.jpg

My usuall srt-ing is the tail choked off with running bowline. I tied THAT to worse than the hitch. I mean come on, I really did my rechecks after my checks.
something wrong with the hitch? Think it will fall off? Seriously, if I thought that could happen I wouldn't tow anything. The first rule in tree work is DON"T BECOME A LIABILITY.

Then I re-rechecked it later

steel029.jpg

The difference in this is the angle is greater and the knot is sans half hitch or stopper knot.

steel028.jpg

Not much else to say except that I know the weaknesses of the knot and the set-up. and I adressed them to make it condusive. I admit I certainly could have used something else and made a point to tell everybody.

I knew the knot could slip so I loaded the crap out of it so it seized. Its just what I felt like doing at the time. It was just a straight run up 65 feet then I got off it. That was what the set-up was for. I tied a tuaghtline then with a different rope. You can just make it out on the ground to the left of me

carmella008.jpg

Yes, Gump. No, fall. That's what I tell em! I usually never wear that 'ensemble ( on- som-bell) and you can see why. PANTS FOR THE DAN PLEASE!
Now I did admit to having a few beers. I was a little on and that was the very first time I had EVER been like that in a tree. I might have just started my third beer when they called about the bird. I just ran out, didn't get the pants either but I sure wish I did.

Old Brown?

Hey Dan, I just got back from the hunt. I saw a 6pt and we almost had a shot on a dandy 8pt. It rained a lot so me and my bro set up in the truck for a while.

I let a 6pt walk last night. It's just really starting to pick up, hope to land a nice buck soon. Like I said before, I hunt out of a hunting treesaddle, so I spend a few hours on the spikes each night. It's a good setup, comes with a buckstrap and a high tie strap, everything goes into a side pouch with the Powerade. Nothing like comming around a tree on a buck and laying down that perfect quartering away shot. It's just as good as laying a big top out and whippin it up nice.

That's what I've been up to, throw a job in here and there. What have you been doing?

I HATE an M and F er who makes himself my problem. Now run over to my truck and grab me another rope, quickly now quickly.
Oh and... if you really like the freedom of movementand feeling unrestricted then just take off your pants. Speed? yeeeah!

Meet me, Dan......I've prolly been climbing for longer than you or nails have been breathing the clean and fresh.....

In the old days, before split tails and tress cords or throw lines, we never climbed with a lifeline (either overhead or ready to use as a second lanyard. And we gaffed everything. So, often, we'd just gaff up and lanyard in when we felt it wasn't comfy to keep freeclimbin'. I rarely used a second flip line, as I should have. I remember, many a time, fingernailing up free, or doing the same when it was time to unclip and flip up and over a branch.

Now, because I'm so at home in a tree, I will occasionally free climb..perhaps it is in a dense canopied western redcedar, which is like a staircase...climbing with three point contact always (or some other young conifer...or perhaps unclip and reclip occasionally in some other easy tree. This is only for those of us who are totally in tune with our environment (and inner selves, kinda like Peter Croft and other top free solo rock jocks) and shouldn't be practiced by even an intermediate climber.

But, for any other situation, I set lines..even set a line before climbing up the 28 foot extension ladder, which is there to save my tired ole bod....

Like the appx 3 yr old 30 foot tall euc yesterday. It was a foot from the gutter but inside the service drop....spindly little fella. So I tossed a lifeline into the top before climbing the ladder. The thing was so spindly that I dunno if it woulda held me up if the ladder slid sideways....

Meet me, Dan......I've prolly been climbing for longer than you or nails have been breathing the clean and fresh.....

In the old days, before split tails and tress cords or throw lines, we never climbed with a lifeline (either overhead or ready to use as a second lanyard. And we gaffed everything. So, often, we'd just gaff up and lanyard in when we felt it wasn't comfy to keep freeclimbin'. I rarely used a second flip line, as I should have. I remember, many a time, fingernailing up free, or doing the same when it was time to unclip and flip up and over a branch.

Now, because I'm so at home in a tree, I will occasionally free climb..perhaps it is in a dense canopied western redcedar, which is like a staircase...climbing with three point contact always (or some other young conifer...or perhaps unclip and reclip occasionally in some other easy tree. This is only for those of us who are totally in tune with our environment (and inner selves, kinda like Peter Croft and other top free solo rock jocks) and shouldn't be practiced by even an intermediate climber.

But, for any other situation, I set lines..even set a line before climbing up the 28 foot extension ladder, which is there to save my tired ole bod....

Like the appx 3 yr old 30 foot tall euc yesterday. It was a foot from the gutter but inside the service drop....spindly little fella. So I tossed a lifeline into the top before climbing the ladder. The thing was so spindly that I dunno if it woulda held me up if the ladder slid sideways....

How does it feel to be the first?
Ok, right, sure, the climbing over the Schuylkill ( skool-kill - I had to look it up myself...again) River down by Boathouse Row on the underneath of those arched concrete bridges, bouldering, rock, recreation, that's a different animal. This is in your neighbors yard.( No,we didn't have ropes walking along center city highrise roof tops and "passing it on the left hand side" either, ssssh). I also do have army training... SIR! Not much gun stuff though. I do. My folks always enrolled me in summer camp! We would swing over the girls van when it came up the bluff. some of these camps were tough, people cried. I didn't. I just burnt the flesh off my hands trying to make it DOWN the fastest. Man, that was fun!
No doubt I could do it today. heck, didn't you just see that drunk do it?
I do really hate to sound school marm but I did noticed you said that you really don't do it much anymore... thank you. And thanks for stepping in you have some real good points you and Nails. Hers is another one of mine: Do you think its is professional to climb like that? Dat be a yes or no...please.
No, you do more than just risk yourself on the J.O.B.

Latest posts

Back