Nails needs a spanking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treemandan ***I never personally met a tree freeclimber ( a real freeclimber that is, not just the occasional undo then redo) who wasn't a bum drunk, had bastard kids, a hefty rap sheet and no respect for himself or the others around him. also they din't have cars and if they did they were junk. Their girlfriends drove them to work.
I am not calling any of you guys that, this is just from what I have seen. It is not worth it to have someone like that around.***

Now you have "met" two, nails and me. I don't know nails personally and I have never worked with him but I do know that I free climb all the time, true free climb, no ropes, no tie ins and no belts or harnesses. I run my own busness, I don't drink, I have others work for me, my wife has never driven my truck and I have never been driven to work by her and my kids are exemplary. Just because someone free climbs doesn't make them YOUR problem. We fall, its our problem, not yours. You want to be ultra safe, do it. I'm perfectly safe and completely at ease in a tree regardless of how high and I have NEVER had an injury EVER nor has anyone around me and I've been at it for quite a while, tree cutting that is. I've been climbing trees since I could walk and have the pictures to prove it. Your holier than thou BS just pisses everyone off. MYOB and take care of yourself. We've been down this road before and it doesn't get better. You do it your way, I, and nails, will do it ours.

THERE HE IS! Where have you been? Ok. You got pics? Cause I have to see this. I am going to see if you have any now that I remember you, if you don't have any " I'll be back!".:) You better have some.

Well and I am back. And it don't look good for you, Nails either. The Dan went out to the woodshop to make a paddle. You two go read what I found and get back here... PRONTO!
I knew there was a newer thread! This is gonna hurt you way more tha its gonna hurt me!
All you other guys have got to see this. A thread cape started not to long ago about a certain confession.
Cape, I am gonna say this and I do love saying it- you and me aren't even in the same league and thank God for that!

You better have some? Whats that supposed to mean? I'm not wasting my time posting old pictures of me in trees when I was kid to prove to you anything and I don't carry a camera to jobs for bragging rights. I'm there to do a job for the customer and theres no time to be a poser. You don't believe me? I don't care. Point is you need to mind your own business. While you're rigging trees with some Rube Goldberg contraption, tied off to a truck, counter weighted with a skid steer and walking around looking like something out of a one-man-band, I'm in the tree taking it down for the customer. And I've never had any claims on my liability for the record either. No, I'm not saying I've paid out of pocket. I'm saying I've never had a mishap ever. You don't feel comfortable in the tree untethered? Thats your issue, not mine. I do very well with and without the ropes and I don't need you telling me what Im doing wrong. So far, I've done perfectly fine, thank you. And also for the record, I'm now booked with work till the new year. That doesn't happen to a hack.

[. And also for the record, I'm now booked with work till the new year. That doesn't happen to a hack.[/QUOTE

Yes it does.

Last edited:

Take this evidence to the courthouse. They will lock you up. You can tell it to the rest of the guys in there who claim they have done no wrong. I know it is possible to contradict yourself although you might not mean to but Cape? Did you mean to? All In one paragraph?
That is what I said about you had better have pics cause now you got nothing but your gums flapping and no judge is going to rule on that.
Don't worry, you seem to have it square now.

I never personally met a tree freeclimber ( a real freeclimber that is, not just the occasional undo then redo) who wasn't a bum drunk, had bastard kids, a hefty rap sheet and no respect for himself or the others around him. also they din't have cars and if they did they were junk. Their girlfriends drove them to work.
I am not calling any of you guys that, this is just from what I have seen. It is not worth it to have someone like that around.
Now are there any of you guys out there who still have their girlfriend drive them to work?
I HATE an M and F er who makes himself my problem. Now run over to my truck and grab me another rope, quickly now quickly.
Oh and... if you really like the freedom of movementand feeling unrestricted then just take off your pants. Speed? yeeeah!

:laugh: the dan is going insane lol. Dan you really need to look
at the south American coconut harvesters they are true free climbers
and are not drunks they climb bare foot as well. I would say I could
climb along side any of ya'all and not be shamed. I don't think any of
us could outclimb those barefooted sob's though:monkey:

Booked with work fo rthe next month and a half makes a person a hack? How far out do you need to be to be considered a "pro" like you? :monkey:

See? Now you are trying to put words in my mouth. Are you the guy they send in to see how long a guy can argue?

Free climbing AKA fool climbing

When you guys are freeclimbing you are MUCH more likely to suffer a fall. This causes everyones insurance premiums to go up. You're not kids out having fun, be professional and tie in, do your job, and go home at the end of the day.

What the he!! are you talking about dan????? I have whatever pictures I need. Fact is you don't think its possible to do tree work without ropes and gear. Well, it is. And as mentioned, I bought the gear due to age, not fear or inability. I'll be doing a free climb this weekend removing a small tree overhanging a house. Nothing to tough. Me, a small saw clipped with a carabiner and off I go. Then I'm off to remove more to allow some ligh into a backyard. Again, not too tough. 40' oaks with no fall zone except around the base of the tree. Close to the house. I'll call ya if I need any advise. When the phone don't ring, you'll know its me.

Last edited:
:laugh: the dan is going insane lol. Dan you really need to look
at the south American coconut harvesters they are true free climbers
and are not drunks they climb bare foot as well. I would say I could
climb along side any of ya'all and not be shamed. I don't think any of
us could outclimb those barefooted sob's though:monkey:

Once again, its not the same. And its not that hard. But really my fear is that someone will yank on my rope somehow. I never turn my back like that, you see what happens in the movies? Someone shoots you in it... the back that is.

And all this cr@p about who does things right and how to do things right and how he hates the drunks that are his problem but in this thread, post #58, he admits to having been into his third beer before doing the tree work pictured. What a joke! :laugh: :rolleyes:

Once again, its not the same. And its not that hard. But really my fear is that someone will yank on my rope somehow. I never turn my back like that, you see what happens in the movies? Someone shoots you in it... the back that is.

Dan I hear ya I don't like to free climb either I prefer to set a rope
and have an assistant take slack until I reach tip! That is: on a removal
or a limby ladder type tree. If it is a trim I will body thrust up to tip but
have I free climbed hell yes just like many have; do I teach newbies to?
That would be a absolute no. Now to the ones free climbing the Dan does
bring up the issue of liability and is validated. The older you get less grip
and if you are like myself a thicker mid section warrants extreme care and
attention to safe climbing methods. It should for you as well because you
should want to become thick in the mid section and reach the less grip state of being:monkey:

Last edited:
treemandan ***I never personally met a tree freeclimber ( a real freeclimber that is, not just the occasional undo then redo) who wasn't a bum drunk, had bastard kids, a hefty rap sheet and no respect for himself or the others around him. also they din't have cars and if they did they were junk. Their girlfriends drove them to work.
I am not calling any of you guys that, this is just from what I have seen. It is not worth it to have someone like that around.***

Now you have "met" two, nails and me. I don't know nails personally and I have never worked with him but I do know that I free climb all the time, true free climb, no ropes, no tie ins and no belts or harnesses. I run my own busness, I don't drink, I have others work for me, my wife has never driven my truck and I have never been driven to work by her and my kids are exemplary. Just because someone free climbs doesn't make them YOUR problem. We fall, its our problem, not yours. You want to be ultra safe, do it. I'm perfectly safe and completely at ease in a tree regardless of how high and I have NEVER had an injury EVER nor has anyone around me and I've been at it for quite a while, tree cutting that is. I've been climbing trees since I could walk and have the pictures to prove it. Your holier than thou BS just pisses everyone off. MYOB and take care of yourself. We've been down this road before and it doesn't get better. You do it your way, I, and nails, will do it ours.

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

Just like driving a vehicle, worry about yourself and not the idiot who is texting on their phone while driving in the lane next to you.

Just as a side note, as a fire fighter and emt in training I can tell that a fall from 10' is severe injury and or trauma, 15' or higher is major internal trauma (i.e. collapsed lung, internal bleeding in the torso, or brain damage) and very high risk of death. Another side note, I'm not choosing sides with nails or treemandan, but as capetrees said everyon needs to mind their own business, and let people make their own decisions when it comes to free climbing or using ropes.

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

Just like driving a vehicle, worry about yourself and not the idiot who is texting on their phone while driving in the lane next to you.

Just as a side note, as a fire fighter and emt in training I can tell that a fall from 10' is severe injury and or trauma, 15' or higher is major internal trauma (i.e. collapsed lung, internal bleeding in the torso, or brain damage) and very high risk of death. Another side note, I'm not choosing sides with nails or treemandan, but as capetrees said everyon needs to mind their own business, and let people make their own decisions when it comes to free climbing or using ropes.

Hmmmmm I watched a guy fall thirty feet and get up and finish the tree as well as the day. I will say it was freaky to us all but he landed on his feet
and was not stiff legged in soft dirt I still don't know how the result was
not worse. As far as ten foot that is not a fact as I used to jump from that
height off the roof I will not now. I won't jump from the bed of a pickup now.

And all this cr@p about who does things right and how to do things right and how he hates the drunks that are his problem but in this thread, post #58, he admits to having been into his third beer before doing the tree work pictured. What a joke! :laugh: :rolleyes:

:agree2: admits to drinking and still runs his mouth about freeclimbing and CUI.

Hmmmmm I watched a guy fall thirty feet and get up and finish the tree as well as the day. I will say it was freaky to us all but he landed on his feet
and was not stiff legged in soft dirt I still don't know how the result was
not worse. As far as ten foot that is not a fact as I used to jump from that
height off the roof I will not now. I won't jump from the bed of a pickup now.

I don't mean a fall that is purposely done, i.e. jumping. but yes there are rare ocassions when people do fall (accidentaly) and are fine, but as I said rarely. For example, 4 months ago a man working at the top of a 24' scafold in a building under construction, fell and all he got was a few bruises and a very blue and purple butt cheeck. 3 weeks after that a man fell from a 9' scafold and broke his left ankle and tibia, and got multiple breaks in his right arm and hand from trying to use his arm to quote, break his fall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back