Nails needs a spanking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2: admits to drinking and still runs his mouth about freeclimbing and CUI.

Just a little tipsy yes But that was a tiny operation. I was extra cautious because of that fact. It was on a weekend when I was relaxing when I got a call to catch a parrot. I did make sure I wasn't bum drunk and that was the only time and I had a rope. That is not true, I had two.
See? I love when people ask me if I am afraid to fall out of a tree. I say there really is NO chance that will happen.
I surely do not condone it. You don't see me sticking up for having beers on the job... although...

you will find some beer in there but not during the work day

ben8.jpg

Last edited:
Dan how's that paddle commin along, got it done yet? I hope it's good and rough, I'm use to a belt with razor blades and salt shakers attached.:cry:

I don't mean a fall that is purposely done, i.e. jumping. but yes there are rare ocassions when people do fall (accidentaly) and are fine, but as I said rarely. For example, 4 months ago a man working at the top of a 24' scafold in a building under construction, fell and all he got was a few bruises and a very blue and purple butt cheeck. 3 weeks after that a man fell from a 9' scafold and broke his left ankle and tibia, and got multiple breaks in his right arm and hand from trying to use his arm to quote, break his fall.

Yeah it has too many variables Age being a huge factor I would probably break my friggin neck falling out the bed today but thought I was superman in my youth. I did fall out of a mimosa tree at 9 years of age landed flat on my back on roots and it sucked. It took several minutes for me to get air and that was from about nine foot I was too scared to tell pops. I hid a sore backside for two weeks until I healed up! I came upon a aged woman on the side walk laying down and obviously in tremendous pain she tripped and broke her hip and wanted me to help her get up. I said no but I will call for help and stay with you till they arrive I brought her back some water and tried to take her mind off her predicament. I knew I did not want to move her and I was about ten and her family tried to make a big deal out of my help but I told my father I wanted no part of it.

Last edited:
Just a little tipsy yes But that was a tiny operation. I was extra cautious because of that fact. It was on a weekend when I was relaxing when I got a call to catch a parrot. I did make sure I wasn't bum drunk and that was the only time and I had a rope. That is not true, I had two.
See? I love when people ask me if I am afraid to fall out of a tree. I say there really is NO chance that will happen.

I can relate, kind of. Constantly throughout the summer people call me about snakes getting in their yard, garage, bushes, or whatever. Once I arrive and catch the offending creature, They all say the same thing, "you're going to get bit by that thing". My response, yes I know I will get bit eventually and there is a good chance I will die. I've been bitten by many snakes in the past 4 years, none of them have been venomous (and hope it stays that way). with any kind of dangerous reptile you can never...ever...NEVER...NEVER...NOT AT ANY POINT IN TIME... say that there is no chance it will happen. I admit there are times when catching a large diamond back that I do get nervous (especially when it's the engine compartment of a car) about it. And I understand the consequences involved with handling these creatures. My point is that, no matter how safe you are, or how much planning you do, or how much expierence you have something can always go wrong with anything, even with climbing trees, ropes or no ropes.

Dan how's that paddle commin along, got it done yet? I hope it's good and rough, I'm use to a belt with razor blades and salt shakers attached.:cry:

oh don't worry, I stopped him. No paddle. Hey did you hear the joke about the guy who just broke his back freeclimbing?
Got pics of this belt?

I can relate, kind of. Constantly throughout the summer people call me about snakes getting in their yard, garage, bushes, or whatever. Once I arrive and catch the offending creature, They all say the same thing, "you're going to get bit by that thing". My response, yes I know I will get bit eventually and there is a good chance I will die. I've been bitten by many snakes in the past 4 years, none of them have been venomous (and hope it stays that way). with any kind of dangerous reptile you can never...ever...NEVER...NEVER...NOT AT ANY POINT IN TIME... say that there is no chance it will happen. I admit there are times when catching a large diamond back that I do get nervous (especially when it's the engine compartment of a car) about it. And I understand the consequences involved with handling these creatures. My point is that, no matter how safe you are, or how much planning you do, or how much expierence you have something can always go wrong with anything, even with climbing trees, ropes or no ropes.

Don't bother relating. If you had emt training and agree with bozo then I will wait for another Am -bu-lance.

....I came upon a aged woman on the side walk laying down and obviously in tremendous pain she tripped and broke her hip and wanted me to help her get up. I said no but I will call for help and stay with you till they arrive.... I knew I did not want to move her....

You're a good man.:clap:

You know I was thinking of trying to find the stats on accidents caused by freeclimbing. I did think that no one would admit to freeclimbing if they fell to the papers but I don't know. It turns out that this guy's sister said " he had to untie to move."
First, that's BS and second there's the the admission.

So you have read the thread in the injury section?

i can see that I am going to have to teach you how to do it with staying tied in. Rube Goldberg? That's precious.Where's my pipe?

Last edited:

I used to handle as a kid never got bit by a poisonous snake
either yet. I handled them with extreme caution not like the crock hunter.
I milked them all this was at ten to thirteen I would be afraid to pick one
up today. I used to catch scorpions basically anything that was a no no
but the close calls were while fishing in the tall grass and catfishing after dark which I still do and may get bit before I am through. Ever caught a
horned toad and had them dribble blood out their eyes? How about a
hognosed snake playing dead? I caught a copper head put in a big pickle
jar and witnessed him commit suicide, he repeatedly bit him self to death
weird.

Don't bother relating. If you had emt training and agree with bozo then I will wait for another Am -bu-lance.

Correct if I'm wrong. Climbing a tree to catch a parrot after consuming 2 beers is okay? But climbing a tree to work on it with chainsaws is not?

Hmmmm...

Correct if I'm wrong. Climbing a tree to catch a parrot after consuming 2 beers is okay? But climbing a tree to work on it with chainsaws is not?

Hmmmm...

I never said anythin of the sort. You are just trying to find a way to beat me.
I never said I was perfect I just said freeclimbing is a really wrong way to go.

I have emt training as well, I don't think you were paying attention.

I can not believe this thread is still going on don't we have anything else to talk about?? Let the idiots be idiots lets move on and talk about tree work!!

but the close calls were while fishing in the tall grass and catfishing after dark which I still do and may get bit before I am through. Ever caught a
weird.

That's some wicked stuff there Rope, you can have it, lol.

weird.

Not to be mean but it's venomous, don't worry I hear it all the time. Yes, horned lizards can squirt blood out of their eyes, technically it's a blood vessel under the eye ball they squeeze with their muscles until it pops like a zit. Also correct, hognose snakes along with a few other species can and do play dead when encountered by a potential threat. Venomous snakes are immuned to their own venom but high stress levels raise the latic acid levels in their system some times causing death. the biting I've seen a few times they seem to think that their body is the enemy when seen out of the corner of their eyes, causing a defensive bite. it is weird though. I loved to watch steve irwin a.k.a. the croc hunter, I met him in Alberqerque (I think I spelled that wrong) about 3 years ago at a reptile show. Super nice guy, talked for about 2 hours about rattlers in the south west U.S.

We are talking about tree work! Dan here thinks freeclimbing is dangerous but feels that if he had to get up into a tree to capture a parrot, he can rig something that will make it safe for him to drink two or three beers while working but not working on the weekend. He doesn't like drunk hacks that are his "problem" and feels he has to butt into everyones style to comment on how they are wrong in their approach to what they are doing.

BTW Dan, Ya ever hug that parrot?

I never said anythin of the sort. You are just trying to find a way to beat me.
I never said I was perfect I just said freeclimbing is a really wrong way to go.

I have emt training as well, I don't think you were paying attention.

That's what it sounds like to me.

We passed a dead guy laying in the road on the way home today. We had to wait as they covered him with a sheet. Motorcycle vs car. Car won.
Have some respect for your loved ones and tie in so they wont have to be pallbearers at your funeral or be changing your diapers etc..

treemandan where are you? did ya' give up? or is the wife yellin' at you telling to come to bed. She probably thinks your looking at #### shame on you.
keep the volume down so she doesn't hear the moaning and screaming.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back