Need a bigger saw, need your expert advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbjake

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had a grassfire on our back 40 earlier this week and part of the damage was 6 to 8 large trees and more smaller trees downed along the fenceline after they burned off at the ground level. Mostly hedge with a few oak and locust. The largest are probably 40 to 50 feet tall and 3 to 4 foot diameter at the base.

I have a Husky 346XP with 18" bar but am thinking I would like to use this as an opportunity to add a saw with a slightly larger setup, maybe a 24" or so bar. Looking for a good combination of power, light weight, and don't want to break my bank either.

Haven't looked at saws lately and when I bought my Husky 4 or 5 years ago I stayed in the 50cc range, so my knowledge on larger saws is minimal.

Any recommendations?

Best local dealer support is Husky or Stihl but I am open to other brands as well.

Thanks.

Look on Craigslist, etc. for a used Stihl 044/44x or Husky 372XP class saw.

At that size I usually see two types: Ones professionals have used that are at the end of their lifetime (which is why they're selling them :) ) and they look like they've spent their life being run hard and put away wet...and ones that over-eager homeowners (put me in that class) and farm-etters have used which are usually in pretty good shape provided they didn't do anything stupid like run straight gas through them. The ones that spent their lives on a home/farm-ette offer a real good deal IMHO.

I do have a 25" bar for my Stihl 360 but it's only used once in a blue moon when I have a trunk big enough to need it; I'm at the limits of the 360 but it does fine I just wouldn't run that if I cut stuff that size regularly. At the time it was my big saw. I now have a Husky 372XP which would pull that size bar easily -- but I do it so rarely I don't have incentive to modify my Stihl bar to fit the Husky or buy a new bar.

i'd look for a 70-something cc. stihl ms440, ms460 or ms441. should run 5-600 on CL for one in excellent condition.

Unless you were intending to take the large diameter trees down anyway, you may want to wait to see if they can survive the fire damage. I'm not not familiar with how heavy a bark layer that hedge has, but many species of established trees green up nicely the following spring even after having most of their leaves singed off.

Unless you were intending to take the large diameter trees down anyway, you may want to wait to see if they can survive the fire damage. I'm not not familiar with how heavy a bark layer that hedge has, but many species of established trees green up nicely the following spring even after having most of their leaves singed off.

Yep, agreed. The ones I mentioned are already down and they ain't coming back. There are several that are scorched and I think they should be okay. I am guessing I have enough downed that they should represent a two year supply minimum.

If you can find a "used hard" pro level saw like a 372 or 044, they are really easy to bring back to run like a new one. That's how I got my 372...had a burned piston and cylinder. Replaced it with the big bore p&c and it loves pulling a 24" combo.

Hit Craigslist and be patient. Do your research on older big pro saws that are rebuildable. When I needed a bigger saw I found a used Stihl 064, rebuilt it myself, then ran it. It wasn't long after that I sent it out to get ported by Randy. Now I don't think I will ever replace it.

So, you want a cheap, light, powerful saw. Join the club;)

I wouldn't mess with a 60cc saw for regular use with a 24" bar. I've never run a 346 but I've heard they perform close to many 60cc saws.

I'd look to 70ish cc saws, and used if your budget doesn't allow new. A 7900 or big blocked 6400 would be a good bet. I've never run the Stihls or Huskys in the range but my Shindaiwa 757 is a capable performer with a 24" bar and can be had for less used than the offerings from the big boys.

If 24" is what you want to run then a 90cc saw is overkill and won't fit your criteria for light weight

Last edited:
You want at least 70 ccs. Don't know your budget, but the classifieds here today are chock fulla good deals on larger saws.

There's so many nice ones out there I wouldn't bother with brand new prices unless you got cash to burn and don't care.

I used to think I didn't "need" larger saws..until the tornado. The unexpected happens, like you just found out, where a small saw just ain't gonna cut it, joke intended.

You don't have to run the big guys all the time, but given the wood size, it's nice to be able to reach for the right tool for the job, right then, when you need it.

Probably oughta do prescribed burns too. Your grass will thank you. After all, it EVOLVED with fire over the last 15,000 years.

70cc saw will do you fine.

Most folks don't like a 60cc saw with a 24" bar, but, I have a stihl MS 361 with a little port work and it pulls a 25" bar all day long. It's my favorite saw! Lighter than the big heavy 70cc saws with the same bar. No it doesn't cut as fast, but It will cut. If you haven't ever ran a 70cc class saw, see if you can borrow one or rent one for a day. At first it's like WOW, this things got power! Then after a couple tanks, WOW, this thing is heavy!

I'm in the same boat, I had a Black Oak snap 30 ft up from the base in a recent storm. The trunk is almost 3ft diameter running that length and then branching into two,ft and a half diameters. I was able to hack the standing 30 ft trunk with my 357 with a 20 inch bar with relative ease. After I bucked the first length and not happy with the results,I started jonesing for a 056mag II with a 3ft bar that I saw on criags list a few weeks ago.

Here is another lead. Go to Home Depot rental and ask when/if they are going to sell off some of their rental saws. They have Makita 6401's. You could run up to a 28" bar (owner's manual says so). It is a good light solid saw for it's size and down the road you can modify it :rock:

I'd opt to buy an 70cc saw like an 044 or 372. If u have a husky and have a good relationship with your dealer I'd go with husky. Personal preference wise I'd personally choose an 044/440, but they are both good saws.

Where in KC are you? I frequently check KC craigslist for pro saws. When they come they go quick. If you can make it to Perry Lecompton area, you should go to Bishops. Great dealership, stocks pro saws (Husky/Jonsered) plus has some used saws. Like many here, I believe you need a 70 cc saw for job you describe. I bought a 372 from Bishops, based on advice from AS and am completely happy. I like you had large trees that needed to be cut, my 359 could do it, but really wasn't the right tool for the job. Probably more saw than I need, for clean up and 5-8 cord a year, but time is precious. The 372 is just awesome to run, power to weight is just fun.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion. Lots of good advise given already. For the trees you want to cut, I would agree that you need atleast a 70cc saw. I also agree that it's better to get a used big saw because its cheaper, and you really don't end up using it a lot. Having said all that, I've noticed that 70cc saws seem to hold their value extremely well. It seams that you can find a comparable used 90cc saw for the same price. It's rare to find a 70cc saw in good running condition go for under $600, but you can routinely find 066/660 saws go in the $600 range.

In my case, I had a 48" ash blown down out at the woods that I cut in, and I have a 60" pin oak in the yard that needs to come down. I started watching craigslist for a 70cc Stihl that I could rebuild if need be. Instead, I saw an ad from the guy who built my 036. He had an 064 that had been rebuilt with a 066 top end and a new 28" bar and chain. He had "my new saw" listed for $375. I went over and picked it up the next day, and it runs great. Just need to get a 36" bar to take care of that pin oak.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

I have yet to find an obstacle for my MS441 with a 28" bar. Plenty of power, plenty of bar, and just sooo damn reliable it's not funny.
Only thing is the weight...I dunno the weight difference between the husqy and the stihl which may be the big deciding factor; but for usage the MS441 is my saw.

I have yet to find an obstacle for my MS441 with a 28" bar. Plenty of power, plenty of bar, and just sooo damn reliable it's not funny.
Only thing is the weight...I dunno the weight difference between the husqy and the stihl which may be the big deciding factor; but for usage the MS441 is my saw.

I agree. My 441 runs a 25-inch bar with authority. I also have a 32 that wears a full-skip chain and it handles big wood easily. These saws are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Back