Need a bigger saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgip2k

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK I am A newbie, I have 2 saws, both 2.2 Craftsmans, 1 is a 14" and 1 18"... But I need something that can wear a bigger bar and not break the bank. I have been looking on Ebay and see that some of the older, bigger saws are selling all over the place price wise... what are some saws to look for that are budget friendly and have a good availablity of parts as well?

What is your intended use? Sthil MS361/362 Husky 357xp or on the cheaper side an older 257 or 261 even a 455 or 460 rancher both are good saws just a little heavy.

What is your intended use? Sthil MS361/362 Husky 357xp or on the cheaper side an older 257 or 261 even a 455 or 460 rancher both are good saws just a little heavy.

Something to fell and buck with.... I have been looking at some Macs, need something in the 24-28 inch bar range.

Price wise I'd bet you do better on the classified here than on ebay. :rock:

That could be... What am I looking for to wear a bar that size in an older saw and not kill the saw or a hopeful budget? I have heard a Mac in the 50 cc and up size will work???

That could be... What am I looking for to wear a bar that size in an older saw and not kill the saw or a hopeful budget? I have heard a Mac in the 50 cc and up size will work???

Not playing favorites with the sellers check out the Husky 281 on there.

Think you need to be looking more like 60cc min even in an older torque saw to pull a 24" bar. Mabey an old 610 if your looking for a cheaper MAC.

Think you need to be looking more like 60cc min even in an older torque saw to pull a 24" bar. Mabey an old 610 if your looking for a cheaper MAC.

I have been watching for the 610 and I think the Eager Beavers? WERE the same?

How much do you want to spend?

I would avoid Ebay if possible. Sure, there is a decent saw on their on occassion, but quite a few will have "smoked" P/C's, or other major troubles. They usually go too high anyhow, at least for what you are getting.

Buying really old used saws like Mac 610's can be a lesson in humiliation. Those weren't that great, heavy, underpowered, and the oil pumps are weak in them. They are NOT well suited to 24" and longer bars anyhow, unless you aren't in any sort of hurry to get the work done.

I'd look at newer models if on the used market, something that was well made and plenty of parts support, MS-361 or 372XP comes to mind here......Cliff

Skip the 610, find a 7-10, PM700. 70cc class, parts are everywhere, fairly cheap, runs a 24" bar easy enough, easy as pie to work on.

Price wise I'd bet you do better on the classified here than on ebay. :rock:
Agree. I'm always looking at saw prices and find realistic prices in the classifieds. I wouldn't hesitate to trust what I purchase from any senior member here. Feebay, only if it's close enough that I could go look at it.

This is going to be just an occasional use saw, used on a need be basis as i normally don't come across anything too big. I prefer the older simpler saws so I can work/tinker on them myself. I will also probably end up buying some similar saw to work on and rebuild after this one too... Just wanting to see what everyone would recommend so I make sure that parts will be available.

Find you a good used 044 or 046 Stihl and don't look back. May have to give around $400 for one but it ain't going to hurt long. It'll live a long time if you look after it. Had one for years and it'll do all you want to do. I run a 28" on mine right now.
Joe

Find you a good used 044 or 046 Stihl and don't look back. May have to give around $400 for one but it ain't going to hurt long. It'll live a long time if you look after it. Had one for years and it'll do all you want to do. I run a 28" on mine right now.
Joe

Repped this one.

Something to fell and buck with.... I have been looking at some Macs, need something in the 24-28 inch bar range.

Yeah the classified here has some good runners posted,,, how much you wanting to spend??? there is a couple dolmars that will wear a 28" bar in the 500.00 rannge and you just missed a running Stihl ms 460 that needed a few parts for 300.00

Tlandrum has a modded 372XPW for a bit more,,,, make him an offer

http://www.arboristsite.com/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=1751

this would be a good one,,,

http://www.arboristsite.com/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=1734

but this would be better

Last edited:
I'd buy from here or a local dealer. Bigger is always better. You still want to be safe. Get a saw you can handle. Be realistic about it. For most trees around here a 16-20 inch bar is all you need. There are bigger trees but 95% don't need anything bigger. With anything bigger than a 20inch bar I find myself hitting the ground.

With that said my 660 is my go to firewood saw. I just run a 16 or a 20 inch bar. It's heavy and wears me out pretty quick so I'd say factor in the saw's weight. I paid $500 for it and it was at the dealer.

If you don't own chaps you should. I've never regreted buying them yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back