Need a new 45cc ish saw. What do you reccomend?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrconductor

Reaction score
Hello. First off I am a new member and I love the site. I am in the need to replace my tired old Stihl 024 AVS. I have been doing some research and comparison and now I seem to be stuck and cant make a decision. I like the Echo cs-450p but have heard they are slow revving and underpowered. The nice thing about them though is the nearest dealer is 2 miles away. They are also offering a $30 rebate and free case. I also like the Dolmar ps-460 but there is no dealer nearby. I cut alot of firewood each year so reliability and durability is a must. I own a Stihl MS290 and an 046 so I dont need any more big saws. I want a fairly light quick revving saw for limbing and smaller trees. I would appreciate any firsthand feedback. Thanks

Brad

Have you considered refurbishing your 024? Parts are likely available and it's a good saw. Another option would be to try to find another one like you have so you would have a parts saw.

I had an 024 AV for twenty years and absolutely loved it. In January, I gave it, still running strong, to my son who needed a good saw but had few funds. I looked at the MS250 and other 45 cc saws to replace my 024, and quickly came to the conclusion that only another Stihl Pro saw was going to satisfy me. If they sold the MS240/241 here in the US, I would have bought one in a heartbeat. I purchased a MS261 and could not be happier. It's little larger and heavier than the 024, but it has less vibration, better air filtration, great fuel economy, and TONS of power for its size. This MS261 is Fun and has me looking for opportunities to use it. If you got one, I'm guessing it would replace both your 024 and your 290.
Regards, Bob R.

Brad, I was in your position a few weeks ago, and it came down to the Stihl MS250 and the Echo CS-400 (would have liked the 450P, but they were sold clean out in the local area due to the hurricane). I got the Echo, but I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. There were some real minor details that tipped me towards the Echo. I liked that it had separate choke and kill switches (Stihl combines them) and I though the Echo controls, switchgear, and case were a little nicer. I thought the Stihl flippy caps were awesome, but the guy at the Stihl shop (who I know well, since I buy tractor parts there) was pretty honest and said a lot of people complain about them after some use.

My brother in law ended up getting the MS250, and we did a lot of sawing together in the aftermath of Irene. Both of our saws did fine, and I continue to think you can't go wrong with either choice.

I haven't heard that Echos are slow revving or underpowered -- so you may want to re-assess that. At least in the case of the CS-400, it seems to rev up and down very freely and smoothly, and cuts better than I expected a 40cc saw to cut. I wouldn't expect the 450P to be markedly different, but maybe someone with that model can chime in. If you are used to the 290 and 046, smaller saws will seem like sports cars.

Good luck!

Last edited:
currently rebuilding my 024av 'cause i loved it that much, with a little muff job it got the job done.

I had an 024 AV for twenty years and absolutely loved it. In January, I gave it, still running strong, to my son who needed a good saw but had few funds. I looked at the MS250 and other 45 cc saws to replace my 024, and quickly came to the conclusion that only another Stihl Pro saw was going to satisfy me. If they sold the MS240/241 here in the US, I would have bought one in a heartbeat. I purchased a MS261 and could not be happier. It's little larger and heavier than the 024, but it has less vibration, better air filtration, great fuel economy, and TONS of power for its size. This MS261 is Fun and has me looking for opportunities to use it. If you got one, I'm guessing it would replace both your 024 and your 290.
Regards, Bob R.

Bob, I played with a 261 yesterday, and agree with all your observations. It packs in cutting power of a 55-60cc saw into the lighter weight and economy of a 50cc saw. Pretty damn awesome. Two things bothered me though: the kill/choke switch seemed really flimsy, and the saw was a bit slow revving up and down. I think someone else here mentioned that made the saw a bit of a chore to use for limbing where you are frequently changing RPM, but I didn't get a chance to try that. But I am curious, what do you think of that switch, and has it been OK in your experience? I still kind of want to add a 261 to my quiver for a "big" saw (at least as big as I'll ever need).

s219, The choke/kill switch works the same and seems to be just as reliable as the one on my old 024.
Before I bought the MS 261, I looked at the 346XP and had the same concerns you had about its controls. I'm sure the controls on both saws are fine. I stayed with the Stihl because it's familiar, I like the inboard clutch, and I can share bars and chains with my son's 024. I cut very few large trees - mostly just small tree cutting and limbing. I sense no delay in the 261 revving up to do these jobs. Certainly, the 024 was/is no quicker in this regard. The 261 came with the HS jet set a little lean. I pulled the limiter, richened it up a bit, and it's a beast that can tear through anything I'm ever going to tackle. I'm even OK with the flippy caps!
Regards, Bob R.

MS250 is the answer for a best buy category. I've had an 025 for 10 years. Still strong for 45cc after all these years.

Brad, Here it is in a nutshell.I own the Husqvarna 445.As a matter of fact I used it and my friends 029 was left in the dust.It is a inexpensive saw that has plenty of power to pull a 16 BC.The fuel consumption is very low compared to other saws of similar size.Near zero vibration. To me it is just a light saw that is just plane fun to run.If you have the $$ for a 346XP then go for it. But for under $300. you will have one fine saw at a decent price. Ken

attachment.php

Sounds like there are 3 requirements - reliability, durability, and fast-revving.

There are 2 possible answers for that. 346XP or MS260. As long as money isn't an issue. And I don't think you mentioned that, if I remember correctly. You said you're cutting alot of firewood all year long, I'd stick with a pro saw. You don't sound like an 'occasional use' type of guy.

Brad, Watch the watch back and forth back and forth now your eyelids are getting very heavy and you are falling into a deep sleep. You will raise that cc limit to 50 and remember this model number 5105. When you wake up you will feel refreshed and will remember that special saw Dolmar 5105.

45 CC Chainsaw

If I were to recommend a 45 cc saw it would be the same one I owned for 8-years which served me well. It was a MS 250 Stihl. It never failed to start or never stalled in a cut.

Why did I trade it off ? The MS 260 is a world of difference (seems to me) only 5 cc's more but after I got it a couple years ago the MS 250 sat in the shop until I traded it in on a MS 362.

If you are wanting a reliable 45 cc saw which will serve you well consider the Stihl MS 250.

Nosmo

Get yourself a Echo CS400 off Ebay for just over $200, muff modd it and you wont be using your 290 very much, cut close to the same speed. CS400 wieghs 13# ready to cut, MS290 17-3/4 ready to cut. I've got a CS450 over here that my muff modded CS400 outcut by a lot untill I muff modded it , now they're about dead even. The Cs450 has .325 and the CS400 has nk which really helps cutting speed. A while back there were some vids on here of a CS450 outcutting a MS290 by a bunch. How about a CS500p, lightest 50cc saw around and have good power. Steve

For those of you that haven't muff modded your CS400 yet you need to, you wont believe the difference.

vids are on youtube, type in cs 450

Last edited:
IS it time to jump to the 50cc range?

Well everybody, thanks for all the info and advice. I have been thinking about jumping to the 50cc size and retiring the MS290 and just running the 2 saws. The MS290 is the most reliable saw I have ever owned but the sucker is heavy. I really liked the old 026 PRO model they had when I worked at the local Stihl dealer as a teenager. I could not afford one then so I settled for the MS290 on the reccomendation of the mechanic. He told me it would outlast the MS250. So anyhow I may step up to the 50cc range and sell the MS290 if I can replace it with enough saw. The Dolmar PS5105 seems to have the rpm's I want along with the Husky 346XP. But the MS 261 is familiar to me since I only own Stihl and worked with them at the shop years back. The Echo CS-500 is nice also and a good deal right now. I have researched the Dolmar's and found that there made in Germany(which I like since my old 024 is W.German). They seem to be pretty well designed also. The only bothersome part is very few dealers in my area and ebay only has a few of them. Decisions, decisions... LOL

Latest posts

Back