Need a new 45cc ish saw. What do you reccomend?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do yourself a favor and leave this site now before you have 10 saws and 10 parts saws in your cellar :D

Do yourself a favor and leave this site now before you have 10 saws and 10 parts saws in your cellar :D

Or your building a separate shed to keep them all in! Before you know it you look around and wonder where the heck all these saws came from? :dizzy:

That is the damn truth. This place has ruined me for saws in just a few short weeks. I started with a 40 year old 14" saw, got a new 40cc 18" thinking it was overkill, and now I am pretty sure I need something bigger and badder. I have a stack of firewood, and don't even have a wood burning fireplace (it's gas). I am running out of trees to cut. If I have too many beers this weekend, the wooden coffee table will be in danger....

I am running out of trees to cut. If I have too many beers this weekend, the wooden coffee table will be in danger....

:laugh:

I can relate. I'm always looking for wood to cut and I don't have anymore to cut. Damn this site!!

346XP or it's hawt cousin:

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0227-1.jpg

Then sell the 290 and use the money to get it ported.

Is It Time To Step Up To a 50cc Saw ?

Now you are talking - there is barely any more weight between a MS 250 and a MS 260 Pro that I could tell. But talk about the power and overall difference --- mmmmm boy.

If you are going to step up to the 50cc range I'd suggest the MS 260 Pro. There are two features I like about this saw #1 decompression release (most guys say you don't need it on a 50cc saw) and #2 an adjustable oiler which really is nice if you are cutting dryer wood.

I've never read a thread which had a complaint on this saw. It is more expensive than some of the medium use saws with larger engines but it is supposed to be a pro saw which can be used all day long - daily.

Nosmo

I drove around a priced a few saws today. Husky 346 XP w/18" bar-$509.95 Stihl MS261 w/18" bar-$569 Jonsered CS 2153C w/18" bar $589.95. Jonsered saws felt really good in my hands. Hmm, shall I go red?

I drove around a priced a few saws today. Husky 346 XP w/18" bar-$509.95 Stihl MS261 w/18" bar-$569 Jonsered CS 2153C w/18" bar $589.95. Jonsered saws felt really good in my hands. Hmm, shall I go red?

Only if you can deal with hoards of supermodels shamelessly throwing themselves at you. :laugh:

Honestly, I freaking love mine. I'm stunned at how strong it is - one angry SOB with an appetite for woodchips. I've had mine bar-buried in some seasoned locust and it still screamed with an attitude (it has been woods-ported, mm'd and unlimited coil'd). As good as it runs, I'm not sure a stock 70cc saw (which was my next intended purchase) will be enough 'separation', so I'm trying to budget either a 390XP or a 441C-M plus porting.

edit to add shameless dirty pics to tempt the OP:

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Last edited:
True dat, CJ. I've only got one (so far), but I love it!

BTW, it's wearing an 18"er and 3/8's, I'm guessing I'd get even more outta' her with a .325".

True dat, CJ. I've only got one (so far), but I love it!

BTW, it's wearing an 18"er and 3/8's, I'm guessing I'd get even more outta' her with a .325".

Officer's Match, I too would be very happy to own a Snellerized 2153. I really lucked into my 2171, finding Jonsered saws around here is like finding a virgin in a maternity ward.

I bought my MS250C this spring to go with my MS440. I feel they are a great combo. Since you already have two Stihls ypou may as well stick with a brand you know and trust. I love the easy start system on this saw. I had them take the 18" bar off and put on a 16". It is now my go to saw and cuts like a mad man. I just had it out tonight trimming some walnut trees in the yard while they were hanging low with all the weight on them. I was kinda bummed when I realized I was finished,.

I just had it out tonight trimming some walnut trees in the yard while they were hanging low with all the weight on them. I was kinda bummed when I realized I was finished said:
I know, right. I did a minor muffler mod on 250 but, alas, no wood to cut other than too small already firewood.

back in the early spring I purchased a Stihl 261 with 18 in. bar but only have a tank and bit thru it so too early to give a report and 2 days ago ordered a new CS2153 C Johnsered with 18 in. bar but like the mail order bride have only seen it in pictures but dang it sure does look pretty.

Latest posts

Back