Need Help Sharpening 0.325 Pitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To make a blanket statement that one size file is best for .325
chain is silly, as the height/cutter diameter varies with each
chain. Stihl offers a wide vaiety of sizes to accomodate these
differences, as well as other file makers.
You need to look at the profile of the cutter with the file to
obtain the correct angle, and since the cutter height decreases
with wear, the file size may[will] change, for correct sharpening.

Thank you, Mr. Fish. At the moment, the 3/16 is working quite nicely on the loop of Oregon 21 LP (I think) that came with the saw.

maybe metric?

You might try a 4.5mm and as the chain wears down to it's last days go to a 4mm. Just a metric thought. A little smaller than 3/16 and a tad bigger than 5/32.:D

file-n-joint is a bar mounted rig. Being new to this and self taught through reading these posts and others, I use one to get angles and stuff as close as I can to being right. I am now free hand filing in the field and just use the rig to correct the free hand hack job.

I got my file-n-joint through baileys.

Attached is a picture of a mandrel I built for holding my chains very secure when sharpening. It's made from a couple of plainer blades.

jerry-

I use a 3/8 file for 34LG and 21LP. When the chain is about dead I go to 5/32.

I believe that you meant to say 3/16" - that is the eight size for the 21LP......:)

5/32" is correct for the now discontinued 34LG, and I use that size for the last part of the 21LP and 95VP as well.

Last edited:
You might try a 4.5mm and as the chain wears down to it's last days go to a 4mm. Just a metric thought. A little smaller than 3/16 and a tad bigger than 5/32.:D

Metric, the 3/16" is 4.8mm, and the 5/32" is 4.5.

....and this tread is 5 years old......

Last edited:
Back