Need my first saw- a keeper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said they are fine saws and perfect for joe home owner.

Yup. The OP (and I) ARE joe home owner...more like joe land owner, but that's pretty similar. :D

For a saw that's going to get infrequent use, but heavy use when the time comes, the 590 is perfect, IMHO.

And this might come as a surprise to you, some of us actually like being able to adjust our carbs manually (heaven forbid). Something else that might surprise you is they are very fuel efficient WITHOUT the strato technology you so dearly love.
I'm quite proficient at tuning a carb. I also know how they work, and that it is impossible to do with a fixed mixture screw what the feedback systems can do with continuous adjustment. The carbs are incapable of holding a fixed fuel/air ratio with varying air velocity. "4-stroking" is just a misfire from a massively rich mixture - if you tune correctly then your carbs do this and you breathe the raw fuel mix it pumps out. AutoTune does not.

There's no secret to what Echo is doing - adjust the timing and backpressure to let a little more exhaust into the transfers and create some scavenging delay. Just like Stihl on the 661. But this adds extra heat load and does not help performance in stock form. Strato is a performance enhancement, as it allows you to turn more of the energy in the fuel into mechanical energy. It allows meeting the emissions limits while improving power.

First off, the 575 was rich in the video cause it has a new top end, regardless its SOLD. Why? Heavy, production window was very short (used parts) and the 620PW filled its shoes for felling and bucking (then some) with better handling, lighter weight and warranty (if you can not mess with it).

My ramblings:

555: Nice saw, Mag case, AT is neat, dont like small mount esp if looking for over 20" bars, real world weight not noticably lighter or heavier then a 590/600/620. Price maybe $560 new?

590 Echo: Nice saw, Mag case, some budget saving ideas in place like plastic handle bar (no issues so far), less expensive bar, no replaceable sprocket, but has large mount, runs great with simple muffler mod, 20-24" bar standard and new cost sub:$400.

Sounds like either would be leaps and bounds above what the OP currently has. I say get the Echo and if you love cutting and need more then next time grab a larger saw (576XPAT?) and have a solid 2 saw plan? But why stop at 2 lol...

Yep, that sub 60cc motor just cant move the 27" bar. :sweet:

It's really quite simple... If the OP wants a saw that has a ~99% chance that it will be slow, expensive and have a bog off idle than he should probably go with the husqvarna 562.

My God Goat, you crack me up:). I'm being totally serious. I love reading your posts because you make me laugh so damn hard. Keep it up.

First off, the 575 was rich in the video cause it has a new top end, regardless its SOLD. Why? Heavy, production window was very short (used parts) and the 620PW filled its shoes for felling and bucking (then some) with better handling, lighter weight and warranty (if you can not mess with it).

Yep, that sub 60cc motor just cant move the 27" bar. :sweet:

Reed, for the life of me I don't know how you can just stand there and breath all that smoke:). I hate those earth polluting, heavy, low powered, low tech, crappy Echo's.

Really? In stock form, off the shelf? No mods, just buy it take it home and follow the instructions in the manual? No lean tuning issues?

Nope. Echos are likely tuned lean from the factory. Dealer set-up takes care of that. I would NOT advocate buying one from HD, nor a Husky from Lowe's. Dealer support--as with any saw purchase--is a huge part of the equation.

Do we know if the OP intends any mods or knows how?

We do not know, but I would argue that for his intended purposes, they are unnecessary. My saw is bone stock, correctly tuned, and with a full chisel chain does absolutely everything a landowner could want. Brad checked it at the NW Indiana GTG and was impressed with how strong it ran in stock form. I--and I imagine the OP--don't need it to cut any faster.

Reed, for the life of me I don't know how you can just stand there and breath all that smoke:). I hate those earth polluting, heavy, low powered, crappy Echo's.

I have a paper bag and a dollar store can of spray paint for when im not cutting with the Echos... man those things will get you hooked.

Took this selfie photo for my Avatar, hope you all like :sweet:

View attachment 437687

LOL...Dude, you gotta start wearing a respirator while running your Echo's. Don't want you dying of black lung like Sissy Spacek's dad did in The Coal Miners Daughter. Either that or take Chris's advise and buy a high tech, clean burning Husky:).

This is what my daughter looked like after watching me cut with my Echo for about 10 minutes (from 20 feet away). The EPA really needs to ban these things:

upload_2015-7-25_9-23-55.jpeg

**** THE BED! These saws are killing childrens parents WHERE IS THE FBI?ATF?DEA?ICE?ABCDFGJIETJOcwsejcbboqiwje?

SAVE OUR CHILDREN, we cant make decisions on our own WE NEED BIGGOV INTERVENTION and we NEED it NOW!DO SOMEHTHING HUUURRRRRYYYYYY

Ahh yes, young men are invincible, immune to everything. It's an old story, and I've seen it before. Breathing raw fuel mix couldn't possibly harm you.

I've breathed and ingested my share of nasty ****, along with plenty of other really dumb things I've done, and I'm happy to be in the shape I'm in. I run my saws, some of them conventional and modified and set as lean as I dare, and try to avoid breathing the fumes as much as I can. I'm happy when the job allows me to run one of my smaller stratos and wish they all were and had better carbs/AT.

Ahh yes, young men are invincible, immune to everything. It's an old story, and I've seen it before. Breathing raw fuel mix couldn't possibly harm you.

I've breathed and ingested my share of nasty ****, along with plenty of other really dumb things I've done, and I'm happy to be in the shape I'm in. I run my saws, some of them conventional and modified and set as lean as I dare, and try to avoid breathing the fumes as much as I can. I'm happy when the job allows me to run one of my smaller stratos and wish they all were and had better carbs/AT.

I know what you mean Chris. After running Echo's nearly my whole life...look how I turned out:

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-25_9-50-13.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_9-50-13.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 15
I just had the jugs on my my 2010 96" Harley Big Twin bored out to to a 107", had the heads ported, slapped high compression pistons in, had larger valves lapped in, slid in bigger cams, bolted on a much bigger throttlebody, dropped in new lifters, reassembled it, hung a new racing exhaust on it, and modified my tranny. Then I swapped out my handlebars which meant extending the OEM wiring, and replacing my throttle, idle and clutch cable. It was around 85 hp but is now 120- plus I got very dirty.
The reason I'm saying this Chris-PA, is because I was hoping I could get help learning what mods are :crazy:
Just messing around, you guys are awesome, My wife went to the beach with the kids and have nobody at home to mess with until after 6:00 PM. Thanks for the fun.
I think I will go to the Stihl & Echo dealer now. Wish me luck.

Back