Need my first saw- a keeper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The echo thread IIRC has vids of a muffler mod'd echo 620 serving notice to a ported 575xp... By quite a large margin 40%?!?
Yes it does and i dont understand that. The knock on the 575 is the power-to-weight ratio, which i buy all day. But it is a powerful saw and i will not believe that video ever. a "ported" 74cc saw gets totally blown out by stock 60cc saw? I think not.

Ahh yes, young men are invincible, immune to everything. It's an old story, and I've seen it before. Breathing raw fuel mix couldn't possibly harm you.

I've breathed and ingested my share of nasty ****, along with plenty of other really dumb things I've done, and I'm happy to be in the shape I'm in. I run my saws, some of them conventional and modified and set as lean as I dare, and try to avoid breathing the fumes as much as I can. I'm happy when the job allows me to run one of my smaller stratos and wish they all were and had better carbs/AT.

Wow. You took that seriously. A/F ratios aren't rocket science and I doubt a AT is significatly safer then a well tuned carb. I own both and 4 stroke/bouncing off a rev limiteris hardly different. There is always a slight breeze in the mountains for the most parts so I dont overly concern myself.

Yes it does and i dont understand that. The knock on the 575 is the power-to-weight ratio, which i buy all day. But it is a powerful saw and i will not believe that video ever. a "ported" 74cc saw gets totally blown out by stock 60cc saw? I think not.
You clearly didnt ready my earlier post for content. You can hear that the 575XP didnt clean up as nicely in the cut/being rich from new piston I threw in it. I wasnt going to push a new saw with little run time... guess all the SawTroll wanna be's should stop waisting time watching the videos posted here. I dont make videos to have people "believe" them but so they can see whats out there and how they run in different setting/times. I own both and dont give a rats ass which ones faster... after break in and tune the 371 is now faster and a way more fun firewood saw then the 620PW but why carry on when videos only mean something if its what we can comprehend?!

P.S. Have you seen the transfers on the 620PW ? I cant port those into a saw... Even if it were stock vs stock people wouldn't believe it.

Reed,

My question is, "why post something in a comparison format, that admittedly has one part that isn't up to snuff?"

Now I'm sure the 620P is a really great saw in its own right, and I wouldn't mind owning one, but to make a point of how great they are by showing it versus a saw that can't be run at its limit doesn't make sense.

I believe that was Custer's point.

Because that's what I had. Anyone that knows saws can hear they are rich. I didnt feel the need to mention both the huskys had new piston and were tuned accourdly. Not to mention the 620PW had a longer bar. No matter the concessions made, someone will mention the variables and what not, right fully so, but seriously to make it sound as if someone is purposely sand bagging saws in videos is just odd to me.

And stuff[emoji4]
a26548a187b90bb39717b40faab27703.jpg
i inquired about the 620p and Dolmar 6100 also, but for my use i was directed back to the 2260 i originally wanted.

Because that's what I had. Anyone that knows saws can hear they are rich. I didnt feel the need to mention both the huskys had new piston and were tuned accourdly. Not to mention the 620PW had a longer bar. No matter the concessions made, someone will mention the variables and what not, right fully so, but seriously to make it sound as if someone is purposely sand bagging saws in videos is just odd to me.

Meh? Agree to disagree.

Again, in the presented format "Apples vs Apples" the only conclusions a casual observer could draw is that A) the 620P is totally bad ass, or B) the 575 is a huge turd.

If the videos were done when the 575 was broke in, and tuned accordingly, that would have been a more reasonable scenario.

Please don't take this as an attack on you, or your character. I'm just telling you how it appears from my perspective.

Personally, I currently own Stihl, Dolmar, Echo, Husqvarna, Poulan, Pioneer, and Olympyk saws. I'm not a loyalist, and I buy what I like, not what is of popular opinion.

I just had the jugs on my my 2010 96" Harley Big Twin bored out to to a 107", had the heads ported, slapped high compression pistons in, had larger valves lapped in, slid in bigger cams, bolted on a much bigger throttlebody, dropped in new lifters, reassembled it, hung a new racing exhaust on it, and modified my tranny. Then I swapped out my handlebars which meant extending the OEM wiring, and replacing my throttle, idle and clutch cable. It was around 85 hp but is now 120- plus I got very dirty.
The reason I'm saying this Chris-PA, is because I was hoping I could get help learning what mods are :crazy:
Just messing around, you guys are awesome, My wife went to the beach with the kids and have nobody at home to mess with until after 6:00 PM. Thanks for the fun.
I think I will go to the Stihl & Echo dealer now. Wish me luck.
Be sure to ask about the ms362c-m. I hear they are awesome.

Meh? Agree to disagree.

Again, in the presented format "Apples vs Apples" the only conclusions a casual observer could draw is that A) the 620P is totally bad ass, or B) the 575 is a huge turd.

If the videos were done when the 575 was broke in, and tuned accordingly, that would have been a more reasonable scenario.

Please don't take this as an attack on you, or your character. I'm just telling you how it appears from my perspective.

Personally, I currently own Stihl, Dolmar, Echo, Husqvarna, Poulan, Pioneer, and Olympyk saws. I'm not a loyalist, and I buy what I like, not what is of popular opinion.

Understood. The 575XP was my first taste as a "H" Pro saw, and I liked it, but not an "all around" saw.

I don't doubt that if infact the OP is out saw shopping he is going to hear some good "Sea Stories" about what saws can do (which we need to hear), how you never need to modify a saw (depends on "need") or better yet finds one he is happy with!

Wow. You took that seriously. A/F ratios aren't rocket science and I doubt a AT is significatly safer then a well tuned carb. I own both and 4 stroke/bouncing off a rev limiteris hardly different. There is always a slight breeze in the mountains for the most parts so I dont overly concern myself.
4-stroking is not bouncing off the rev limiter, it is a misfire because the mixture is too rich to fire. A feedback carb system will not do that.

There's a lot of handwaving going on to try to say that these new technologies (Strato and feedback carbs) don't really do anything worthwhile in order to promote a product line that does not have them.

Echos are well made saws - they are sold cheap because they lack features other products have. If you don't care about that then you can get a saw with equivalent capabilities at a reduced price. If the emissions limits are tightened beyond the "try not to pump quite so much raw fuel out the exhaust" level they are now Echo will probably have a problem.

Lets face it if the emissions limits are tightened much more on this type of equipment small businesses that require them and large industries would suffer.

I do see what you are saying, I just think there are larger fish to chainsaw.

Understood. The 575XP was my first taste as a "H" Pro saw, and I liked it, but not an "all around" saw.

I don't doubt that if infact the OP is out saw shopping he is going to hear some good "Sea Stories" about what saws can do (which we need to hear), how you never need to modify a saw (depends on "need") or better yet finds one he is happy with!
Well said jonathan, and not trying to start a war or hijack this thread. The cs620 thread has proved to be very popular and you are correct reed, i have not kept up on it. I instead spent time reassuring my 575, trying to repair its low self-esteem, although im afraid its emotional eating has caused it to gain frightful amounts of strato-related weight.

They are fine saws no doubt, but to say stock for stock or muffler modded a 590 will spank a 555 is just silly. A 575 is a torque saw made to pull a 25-28 bar. Put a 16inch bar a 261 or a 550 and it will be faster through small wood than a 660. Two completley different saws designed for different types of cutting. Put a 36 on that 620 then put it up against that 575 and see what happens.

I can tell you for fact a mm 590 will obliterate a 555!! In fact it will be closer to a 70cc saw than you'd expect. A saw that pumps 190psi of compression out of the box should be a good runner.

That must be why all the guys I know in the tree industry that actually run saws for a living 8-10 hours a day are running echoes. Oh, wait a minute I don't know one. Like I said they are fine saws and perfect for joe home owner. But to say they are so superior to a husky or a stihl in the same class is silly.
I'll give you an example. 355t. First impression up in the tree is they are a snappy little saw. Wow, I got a great deal. This thing is almost as good as my old 200t! I should get more of these!
6 months later, used on a daily bases for work, falling apart, junk.

You're clueless.

Latest posts

Back