New 50cc saw with heated handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considering adding an 50cc saw with heated handles for this winters cutting, my hands just don't take the cold weather like they use to. I already have 5100s, and a 346xp and both have been great saws.. The new dolmar 5105 doesn't seem to have a price advantange anymore, a 346xpg is probably a no brainer, but I did just receive that $50 off check (coupon?) from stihl. So does Stihl even make the 261 in a heated handle version? list price? I don't find any heated handle option on the stihl USA website..

There is an alternative...being battery powered heated gloves.

You can google and see various ones. Prices $25 and up...and also waaay up..!!
But for around $25 - $50 several models using several AA batteries in each glove.

The "twist" is the batteries only last about 4 hours.

If one could use rechargeable batteries then maybe OK...if not...too expensive..imo..!!

PRO: Could use anywhere...anytime...doing anything..!!
CON: Battery expense...absolutely would have to accept rechargeable batteries...

One set of gloves said they would NOT work with rechargeable batteries...
How could the gloves mechanism decipher whether the batteries are rechargeable
or standard non-rechargeable batteries..??? I dunno..?? :confused:
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I would consult a stihl dealer from which you would buy the saw regarding an Arctic package on a 261.

As far as I know the availability of the arctic saws from Stihl is dictated by the individual distributor.

I know that here in the North East most of the larger saws can be ordered in an Arctic configuration.

We could conjecture all we want but it would probably be best for you to go to/send over a call to whichever dealer you intend to buy from.

That said, that's going to be an expensive 261 when everything is said and done.

I have a 346 xpg and love it. You can probably just sell your current 346 when you get the new one. I mean, I love saw redundancy and everything but...

There is a 261VW (same as "Arctic"), but the price premium on heated Stihl saws are much higher than on heated Husky/Jonsereds - at least here.

Also, I woundn't want a 261 as my heated 50cc saw, when I have a 346xp - better get a 346xpg! :msp_smile:

All my 50cc saws are heated, btw - and it isn't a coincidence......

Got around the Cat muffler all ready by finding a noncat one.

Just found out about a CraigsList ad in Vermont that has three heated handle Jonsereds for sale. A 2153, 2156 and 2171 all new and never used. So may be I will end up with a 2156cwh after all.

How could the gloves mechanism decipher whether the batteries are rechargeable
or standard non-rechargeable batteries..??? I dunno..?? :confused:
:cheers:
J2F

Rechargeable NiCads and Ni-MH AA cells are 1.2 volt. Standard disposable cells are 1.5 volt. Therefore total voltage presented from a few cells is significantly less if using rechargeables :cheers:

Got around the Cat muffler all ready by finding a noncat one.

Just found out about a CraigsList ad in Vermont that has three heated handle Jonsereds for sale. A 2153, 2156 and 2171 all new and never used. So may be I will end up with a 2156cwh after all.

You really need that 2171WH (no C on that one)! :msp_wink:

I would consult a stihl dealer from which you would buy the saw regarding an Arctic package on a 261.

That said, that's going to be an expensive 261 when everything is said and done.

That just depends on where you are. You should see what a 346XPG like yours goes for around here. :msp_ohmy:

There is a 261VW (same as "Arctic"), but the price premium on heated Stihl saws are much higher than on heated Husky/Jonsereds - at least here.

Also, I woundn't want a 261 as my heated 50cc saw, when I have a 346xp - better get a 346xpg! :msp_smile:

All my 50cc saws are heated, btw - and it isn't a coincidence......

Doesn't that add a lot of excess weight???:msp_wink:

Mike

I too need a heated handle saw

I do not know about your area, but in checking this region the only 2 Stihl saws available with the Arctic Package are the MS362, and the MS460. List price to add the Arctic upgrade is around $300. I really want the MS441C-M with heat but I'll have to renew my passport and go to Canada to get one.

Looking at Huskys there are more offerings, most appealing to me is the 576XPG, though I truly wish the AutoTune and heated handle options were offered together.

Take Care

Looking at Huskys there are more offerings, most appealing to me is the 576XPG, though I truly wish the AutoTune and heated handle options were offered together.

Take Care

I am surpriced that there aren't, as the 560xpg and 562xpg have both features, and I am sure the 550xpg will as well.
My guess is that there will be a 70cc+ version of that general design in the future, but I have no actual evidence of that happening........

Back