New Dolmar 5100S Review from the dude...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did that today, after five pulls on the 5100 I knew something was wrong. Yeah the damn switch was off.

I love the factory 17" bar on this little saw, seems perfect for me.

I'll probably run the factory bar until it wears out (or enough so I can justify buying a new bar), not sure if I'll go 18" or 16". I very rarely cut trees bigger than a 16" can handle, and have dropped and cut up some pretty big ones with the 16" on the 141. 13" might be a little small, but yes it would be loads of fun! I have a 14" on the 141 now, that's as small as I can go with the Chainsaw Buddy, but that saw would almost be tolerable with a 12".

The factory settings were dead-on for my saw right out of the box. I did have to adjust the idle once, like an 1/8th of a turn. Still breaking it in, can't say that I won't have to change the settings, but they probably don't need to be adjusted when it's new. If mine was "rich", I'd hate to see it lean! Probably sound more like a dentist's drill than a saw at that point.

Soooo, I know I know I been saying I'm getting a 5100 for like 6 months now. I even bought a 510 to hold me over till I pulled the trigger. Like the other 2 babys, my 7900 and the 510, I owe them both to Scott and Steve up the road from me at the Cutting Edge in NY (site sponsors). Still, almost 2 yrs later I still can't believe the service I get from these guys. Great guys in general as people go also in my opinion. I really dont' think you could ask for nicer guys anywhere. Always willing to go out of the way for me. Heck, I've called them at 11pm and they were still there working on stuff to help people out with issues... Can't beat that. Anyhoot, here I am rambling.... Now the Review!!!! And so you know, they took it out and ran the heck out of it for about 1/2 hour I'd guess to make sure it was running right.

So you know, I only got to run the saw for about 30 min or so tonight... This is my impression.

I got the saw fresh in the box, they packaged it up for me to pick up at their store, so it'd look brand stinking new. The drive to get there isn't really too far, so I figger'd, wooooohooooo a little trip to get away for a bit. I drove over to their store and I yanked it out as quick as I could, like a kid at christmas, hehehehehehehe. Ya'll know how it is when you get a new saw, the anticipation of gettin' it goin' and just dying to get your hands on some logs to let it eat. Sooooooo, I get home from the drive and have a nice stack of hard maple just begging to be cut, and wouldn't you know it's pouring rain here if you can believe... Does this stop me? H E(double hockey sticks) NO!!!!!!! I've got about a full cord of hard maple blocks already cut that I usually have to rip to get'em to split anyways(anybody that's ever split northern hard rock maple know what I mean) and under cover on my back deck sooooooo... Need I say more???

I filled it up with fresh 93Oct and the Dolmar winter Grade oil. Gave it 1/2/3rd pull and it started to fire. Switched the unilever down to middle position, thought, wow, this is smooth, even when firing I thought, "oh man, this baby sounds quite a bit meaner than my 510..." 4th pull and away it went. I idle'd her down and let it sit for about 30 seconds or so then went to work on a bunch of the hard maple with the 5100 set up with a GB 18" and 3/8 LGX. Blocks are around 30" in diameter, cut in 1/2 one time already so I could move them so figger I'm cutting 15-16" blocks in 1/2 ripping the 16" blocks. I make one cut, then another cut then a third cut and think to myself, eh, I guess this is ok, (yes you read that right, not too god aweful enthusiastic) Then I cut 4/5/and now we're on 6, HOLY SH17!!!!! It was like someone just flipped a switch on this little saw and said "here ya go, have some fun" I started putting an easy 5-10lbs of pressure on it and this little sucker roared right through the big hard maple like I wasn't even touching it. Like it was a hungry little beast just waiting to rip that stuff in 2. OMG, I could definitely see the difference now. Did I say "HOLY SH17!!!" already??? I was having some fun now... I went at it like this, saw workin' like a fiend for the next 1/2 hour I'd say and it just seems to get stronger and stronger with each cut I'm making. This is the funnest little saw I've run since the little 036/034's I used to run. The 5100 has a little less torque, but can you really compare a 4.5hp saw to a 3.8. I will say in wood say up to 12" or so the little 5100 would eat those saws up, hands down. It's quite a bit lighter than those older ones, and feels more balanced to me. On the PS-510 of mine a 16" bar is about as big as I'd go for the torque that I myself prefer. On the 036/034 I don't like going any bigger than a 16" also. The 5100 seems to feel really good with the 18" on it. I generally prefer an all around saw in the 4.5+hp range. For small limbing and whatnot like when I'm just cutting pine logs going to the mill I like the little PS-510 or those older 36/34's. The 5100S, even though a little smaller in hp/cc's definitely keeps up and can be used in place of these older models I've always been so fond of... Anyhoot, the only drawback I've yet to see in the first 1/2 of my use is the usual I have with all new saws. YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR CHAIN TIGHT AT ALL TIMES!!!! Or it will fly off. This is because of the rpm's these new saws turn though and I understand it... It's been something I've been fighting since day one when I started running newer saws, same thing with my 440 and my 288XP... Anyways, as you can see from the pic, I've got some big smiles going and am happy as all get out. Saw seems built well. Great power band. I hate to tell ya, the 5100 would eat up a little 346XP w/out a question. I know because I tried one out about 2 weeks ago. It's not even close. The torque and general feel of the 5100 is much more pleasant. I said it before, I'll say it again. Dolmar is the best combination of the best saws out there. All the torque of the Stihls and all the speed of Husky. The combination can't be beat in my opinion.

:cheers: :biggrinbounce2:

, hehehehehehe...
I'll be having a video for you guys soon enough... Of the saw in action pervs, lmfao...

Forget the saw!!! I want the Wife!!!

I can pull my 5100 15 times and it dont start....LOL......Stihl choke is down...Dolmar 5100 Ignition is down off ........Damn hate that when it happens.......Tried to start my 262 the other day ....Kill switch is opposite of my 7900....Its a PITA to own and run all the brands...

No, Thats not my problem. I saw some other postings that the mfg settings are too rich. I get the sense that's the problem. Any advise on carb adjustment?

I have been there as well, with the 5100 - but only once...... :censored:

I've had my 5100 for a couple weeks and gone through about 4 tanks.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to start. Seems to be flooding. Anyone had this problem or any ideas?

Thanks

The saw is starting to break in (rings are seating) Which means the compression is increasing. This Is WHY I am a strong supporter of needing a DECO valve on this saw. I suspect like many many others you are not giving it a good enough pull which will cause the saw to FLOOD. Seen it many times.

Just my .02

Scott

Cisco, How does the 5100 compare too the 510? Is it a whole lot of difference? I'd love to get a 5100 but I already have a 111 rated at 3.3hp. Wondering if it's gonna be that much more? In a perfect world I'd go 5100 and 7900. In my world, at the moment it's 111 and 120si :greenchainsaw:

My Husky 353 is rated at 3.3hp as well, I can attest that it is nowhere close to the 5100 and NE346xp, even though those aren't run in yet.

The 510 is close to a pound heavier as well, and really too heavy for a 50cc saw, as the case is Alu instead of Mag......

Last edited:
My Husky 353 is rated at 3.3hp as well, I can attest that it is nowhere close to the 5100 and NE346xp, even though those aren't run in yet.

The 510 is close to a pound heavier as well, and really too heavy for a 50cc saw, as the case is Alu instead of Mag......

Thanks Troll,

My 111 actually feels lighter than my Husky 51 for some reason? Maybe it is? Not sure about the cases on it. It's hard to justify the new 5100 maybe due too the 116si I have between the 111 and 120si. Maybe it would be the replacement for the 116si. :cheers: Can't forget the old Partner 5000plus either :clap: I don't use it as much but it's a real screamer.

Ciscoguy01 and all,

I just picked up my 5100 yesterday based largely on this review as well as other feed back on this site. Thank you all for the great info and insight.

I just started heating my house with wood last winter and my big-box store poulan just wasn't cutting it anymore (if you think that pun was bad, just wait for it....), especially since my first one siezed.

I am just turning the corner toward chainsaw geekdom, and have limited experience, but when I fired up the 5100, I think I got a woody! (now wasn't that worth the wait?!?) I wish I had sucked it up and gotten a real saw sooner. I cut about a cord of year-old oak with the old poulan a few days ago and I really think I could have cut two cords with the 5100. Those 14" old oak logs didn't slow the 5100 down a bit.

Thanks again to everyone here for the great information!

Adam

Thanks Troll,

My 111 actually feels lighter than my Husky 51 for some reason? Maybe it is? Not sure about the cases on it. It's hard to justify the new 5100 maybe due too the 116si I have between the 111 and 120si. Maybe it would be the replacement for the 116si. :cheers: Can't forget the old Partner 5000plus either :clap: I don't use it as much but it's a real screamer.

The case of the 51 sure is mag - and the design actually are based on the P5000/P500.....

The saw is starting to break in (rings are seating) Which means the compression is increasing. This Is WHY I am a strong supporter of needing a DECO valve on this saw. I suspect like many many others you are not giving it a good enough pull which will cause the saw to FLOOD. Seen it many times.

Just my .02

Scott

I respectfully disagree, there is absolutely no reason to put a decomp valve on that saw.

There is one on my NE346xp, but I never use it - I used to use it on my 353, but it starts better (when really cold) when I don't.......

Comment

Ok, I been quiet a while, sorry bout that... I been super busy, moved, work, all kinds of stuff going on... I gotta couple things to say about the 5100S as an fyi to the previous comments...

I've heard that after several tanks it can flood, that could be true, but after a few tanks you should usually give the carb a small adjustment. I've probably got 30+ tanks through mine and have NEVER flooded it. I give it a hell of a pull though, EVERYTIME. I do it that way cause man those suckers really have alot of compression for a small saw, same with the 7900's I think. My 7900 pulls damn near as hard as my 56Mag oddly enough... There's alot of posts here to get back on sooooooo, I'm working on it... Between the 5100 and the 510 Zodiac dude, yea, there's quite a bit of difference. Specially when you put an 18" bar on them. Tell you like this, my buddy's wife runs a husky 51 all the time, when she ran the 510 she had a little smile and said it was nice, smooth, and had a little more umph than the 51. Now when she grabbed hold of the 5100, let me tell you about the smile that came to her face. :clap: :jawdrop: Yip, she was all giggles and now my buddy was about to kill me, lmao... The other thing about my 5100 is that I've adjusted the carb about 3x's now since the day I got it... You should. I went from winter, to spring to summer now. Temps affect ALL saws. They'll ALL run much leaner in cold. I also only run 93+ gas in mine. I still can't believe it flooded though. My 5100 has been super reliable, so has my 510. Never missed a beat dude. Strange, but I haven't had any issues with dirt in the air filter either... I dunno. Sometimes I think I'm the only one that never has problems with these new dolmars. 50+ cord of wood last fall on my 3 dolmars and the same the falls before on my 7900 dude. I honestly like'em all. I hate making a choice which one to grab. So I usually grab the older ones so I can keep my new ones new, hehehehehehehehehe...

:cheers: eh?

I've never had any problems with my 7900. However my 5100 has been it a bit temperamental, and the air filtration and carburetor is sub par. The power is good, and it's the smoothest saw I have ever ran hands down. But if I were looking for a new 50cc saw I would most likely get the 346xp new edition. With that said the 5100 is a great saw for the money.

I'd like to say thanks to Steve and Scott for helping me out with some small parts I needed for my 5100. They were very nice to deal with, and I received the parts within a few days.:cheers:

Last edited:
.... I still can't believe it flooded though. My 5100 has been super reliable, so has my 510. Never missed a beat dude. Strange, but I haven't had any issues with dirt in the air filter either... I dunno. ....

No problems here either, unless you count the time I pushed the switch to off instead of fast idle, after the "pop" at choke........:censored:

That is one sure way of flooding it!

Well I just got the phone with my local Stihl, Husky, Johnsered and Dolmar dealers.. I had my heart on a 361 but I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and I think I've landed on the 5100, Dealer had me talked into a 510 but for $90 more I can get the 5100.

THe 5100 is going to run me $539 where as:

the Stihl 361 is $729

Johnsered 2152 is $659
2159 is $729 both are going on sale in a couple weeks though.

Husky dealer had no huskies except for a 395xp and thats why out of the budget.. said he sells his 455 for $439 but they've been on back order for almost 2 months.

So 5100 it'll be.. If I didn't find this thread and a few other I'd probably gone with the 510.

Thanks Guys

Have you looked on eBay for the Makita 6401? They are going for less than $400 plus shipping. There is one on there now for $345 + $69 to ship to Canada. That would be a good deal for a saw with more power than its little cousin the 5100. Unless you want the dealer support then get the 5100 from your local dealer. Dealer support can be a great thing if in the need of warranty.

Good luck with what ever you decide, the 5100 is a nice unit.

:cheers:

However my 5100 has been it a bit temperamental, and the air filtration and carburetor is sub par. :

Huh? I've had my ehp 5100 for over 2 years. Filter stays amazingly clean.

Carb issues? Hard to start? maybe a little...

Well I just got the phone with my local Stihl, Husky, Johnsered and Dolmar dealers.. I had my heart on a 361 but I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and I think I've landed on the 5100, Dealer had me talked into a 510 but for $90 more I can get the 5100.

THe 5100 is going to run me $539 where as:

the Stihl 361 is $729

Johnsered 2152 is $659
2159 is $729 both are going on sale in a couple weeks though.

Husky dealer had no huskies except for a 395xp and thats why out of the budget.. said he sells his 455 for $439 but they've been on back order for almost 2 months.

So 5100 it'll be.. If I didn't find this thread and a few other I'd probably gone with the 510.

Thanks Guys

In Canada (also if it was the US), I can understand you - but the 5100 and the 361 handles about the same, and there is a huge power difference.......:givebeer:

but the 5100 and the 361 handles about the same, and there is a huge power difference.......:givebeer:

A "HUGE" power difference?.....I'm not buying it.....Can you elaborate some more?....Have you done any timed cuts with equivalent B&C? :popcorn:

The Dolmar PS5100 are $457 plus tax and shipping for Canadians, and the Stihl 361 is $250 about more money, that is about half another PS5100. And for the same money you can get the PS7900. So if you compare just prices the 361 and 7900 are pretty close moneywise, but not powerwise. Dave.

Back