New guy needing help with chainsaw decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what I'm gathering is buy the ms261 or 346 and always have that "what if" in my head about the other saw. I've bought trucks before without thinking this much about it. haha
ST- the 372 is accessable as a 5 min drive down the road to the shop.
Andyshine- Who is the fella, I lived in murray for a few years while I was in school.

A 50cc/16-18" setup should do you fine as a primary saw, especially when you have access to a bigger one for occasional big tasks.

A bit of wisdom gleaned in my years of popping into AS from time to time: the risk you run in spending too much time on this site (and particularly if that time is not counterbalanced by time actually out working with your saws) is that you may come to sincerely believe that 6hp is required to competently pull a 20" bar, or that the weight of a saw powerhead really doesn't matter. It is easy to fall victim to this thinking, but the truth is that bigger is not always better. Seriously, what difference does it make if your one-tree-per-year takes 30 minutes more to cut up? I would submit that the answer is a resounding "no difference at all." Also keep an eye out for the guys posting pictures of themselves with the super-pretty saws and the spotless chaps, and feel free to weigh their advice accordingly.

A 50cc/16-18" setup should do you fine as a primary saw, especially when you have access to a bigger one for occasional big tasks.

A bit of wisdom gleaned in my years of popping into AS from time to time: the risk you run in spending too much time on this site (and particularly if that time is not counterbalanced by time actually out working with your saws) is that you may come to sincerely believe that 6hp is required to competently pull a 20" bar, or that the weight of a saw powerhead really doesn't matter. It is easy to fall victim to this thinking, but the truth is that bigger is not always better. Seriously, what difference does it make if your one-tree-per-year takes 30 minutes more to cut up? I would submit that the answer is a resounding "no difference at all." Also keep an eye out for the guys posting pictures of themselves with the super-pretty saws and the spotless chaps, and feel free to weigh their advice accordingly.

True words were never spoke :msp_biggrin:

Thanks for all of the quick replies. The majority of the trees in the woodlot are around 20'' or so. And I do have access to the 372 so I can use that if I run into something bigger than usual. So 50cc it is I guess. From what I have read on previous threads, the general conscensus 346xp shines in the limbing category and the 261 might be the better on the ground saw for firewood and such (just going on what I've read.) But where does the 550xp fall in there? My local husky dealer is really more of an echo dealer and never really carries many husky saws in stock that i can put my hands on.

If you can check out the 500p, it is a good saw.

Latest posts

Back