New Husky 45

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheppard

Reaction score
Just joined this group tonight. Did a search prior to this and did not find what I was looking for. Purchased a Husky last week for small residential tree work (own a lawn care business). So far the net is giving me plenty of general safety info on what to avoid and how to stay alive. Any one have any experience with this particular saw?

Cordially,
Sheppard

Husky has not made the 45 for a couple of years, at least back to 1999. This one must have been at the dealer a little while. Dont fret, though, my 55 sat at a dealer for two years and I couldnt be happier with it. I would not run more than an 18" bar on it to keep the rpms up. I assume you have .325 chain. stay with it. I have had very good results with Oregon 34LG chain, it holds its edge very well and is more aggressive then the safety chain that comes with the saw. But it is not so aggressive that it catches on everything and have a very high chance of kickback. I always use Husqvarna XP oil and I mix it at 32:1 ratio, not 50:1. Just keep an eye on the spark screen on the muffler so it does not plug.

Yeah, what Huskyman said! :D A simple way to keep your fuel mix correct (and this is the single MOST IMPORTANT aspect of owning ANY two-cycle equipment) is to buy the small pre-measured bottles. They are a little more expensive, but not nearly as expensive as replacing pistons and cylinders.
EPA requires the manufacturers to run 50-1 for emissions reasons. The equipment will last a lot longer with a little more lubrication. If you buy the 1-gal mix bottles, only use .8-.9 gallon of gasoline. If you get the 2.5-gal mix bottles, only use 2-2.25 gallons of gas. Use a high quality oil like Stihl or Husky brands and you can run ALL of your 2-cycle lawn equipment with the same fuel.

Mix Ratio Question

Would you guys say that the mix ratio rule you explained (treeclimber165) would go for most saws? In particular I'm talking about my Echo CS 3400...should I use a 32:1 mix instead of the 50:1 that is recommended?

Thanks - Will

willclimb

The way I see it, there is basically a 'safe' range of acceptable ratios. 50-1 is at the extreme edge of that range. A slight mis-calculation (or manufacturer's error in filling the little bottles) can lean out your mix to 55 or 60-1 really quick. By mixing the way I described above, I'm a heck of a lot closer to the 'middle' of the 'safe range'.
I've run my Echo 3400 using Stihl 2-cycle oil as described above for years and have excellent compression. I can't remember the last time I ever fouled a plug. If the saw EVER gets to the point where it won't start on the second or third pull, I might pull the plug and look. (After I check the fuel pickup and air filter)

I say they have it right .I run 32:1 oil mix in my saw, weedwacker, brushcutter, they all run just right. If you run two cycle equipment you know the work they have to do. So you better have some oil in there to lub that baby or pay the price down the road. Injoy your new saw & be safe out there. :)

Help the mathmatically challenged

So be specific please! If I am buying the 6.4 bottles of Husky oil what size gas can should I mix it in?

This 1:50 talk is like Greek to me.

Cordially,
Sheppard

The bottle should say how many gallons of gas to mix with that bottle. I believe the 6.4 oz. bottles are for 5 gallons of gas. I would only use 4 gallons of gas for each of those bottles.
Do yourself a favor, and DON'T mix partial bottles! I've seen guys try to guess how much is 1/2 a bottle so they can only get 2.5 gallons of gas and those are the guys who burn up saws.
Several have stated and I agree, if you use a quality oil mixed between 32-1 and 40-1, you can use it in EVERY air-cooled 2-cycle engine you own. I have Echo and Stihl equipment, weedeater, blower, saws, etc. and I run the same gas in ALL of them. Have for 20 years, and NEVER had any type of fuel related problem. People (and manufacturers) try to complicate it, but it all boils down to enough lube to save the motor without fouling the plug.
OK, I've started to repeat myself, if I answer any more questions on this I might start to get frustrated. 'Nuff said.

Hello Sheppard,

Heres a oil ratio chart from maxima oils that may help

ratio 0z per gal
16-1 8.0 oz
20-1 6.4 oz
24-1 5.3-1 oz
28-1 4.6oz
32-1 4 oz
40-1 3.2 oz
50-1 2.6 oz

all you need is a 4 oz container, a small husky oil bottle has a scale on the side to measure the proper amount. i would recommend 32-1 and a good synthetic oil like redline, motul, or maxima 927. it costs more than petroleum based oils but is much less expensive than new barrels and pistons.

ken dunn kdhotsaw

Latest posts

Back